Edward Colston/Trans rights/Stamp collecting

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Another criminal damage prosecution not sticking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tees-60257654

Were they the right charges?
    No idea, but I've long thought that if someone intentionally parks on your drive e.g. for a school drop off, there should be some consequences.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

No idea, but I've long thought that if someone intentionally parks on your drive e.g. for a school drop off, there should be some consequences.
    I suspect the farmer will have claimed that the damage was accidental, as he tried to clear his gateway.

While at uni, four of us lifted a car that was blocking our driveway (not that any of us had a car) by lifting it by the wheel arches and swinging it out into the road. We might just have left a dent in one of the wheel arches, accidentally...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

I suspect the farmer will have claimed that the damage was accidental, as he tried to clear his gateway.

While at uni, four of us lifted a car that was blocking our driveway (not that any of us had a car) by lifting it by the wheel arches and swinging it out into the road. We might just have left a dent in one of the wheel arches, accidentally...
    He claimed he felt threatened.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Upper Teesdale around High and Low Force suffered pretty badly during Covid - massive influx of scrotes parking their hot hatches like idiots and dropping litter everywhere. Not surprised the natives became rather worked up about the situation.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    The accusers said they were going to leave the car and walk home.
    To South Tyneside. 52 miles away. Credibility gone. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Chavs who don't think common decency applies to them are bad witnesses
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    You be the jury

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • john80

You be the jury

Should he not have done a better job of hiding his actions. It is almost a victimless crime. Russian money man loses some cash he stole from the Russian people and superyacht (mainly western) builders charge him to fix it. Whats not to like.
  • Colston was a Trans stamp collector or collected Trans stamps? What a world we live in.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    This debate might be about to become more topical in cycling as Emily Bridges, a former top GB junior male rider who is now a trans woman, competes on the track in Derby against some top riders this weekend.

Plenty of stories on it in the press. It'll be interesting to see how she does - even if she's very good it should be remembered she was very good as a male and arguably the competition is fiercer (just in terms of numbers) amongst the men.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

This debate might be about to become more topical in cycling as Emily Bridges, a former top GB junior male rider who is now a trans woman, competes on the track in Derby against some top riders this weekend.

Plenty of stories on it in the press. It'll be interesting to see how she does - even if she's very good it should be remembered she was very good as a male and arguably the competition is fiercer (just in terms of numbers) amongst the men.

Unsurprisingly, the BBC have an extensive article covering this. Up against Laura Kenny apparently. No idea about Katie Archibald.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/60911823
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I find it interesting that there seem to be relatively few trans people in public life. Even in the arts where diversity is widely embraced and yet there do seem to be a surprising number of trans athletes cropping up in elite sport. An arena not renowned for diversity.

Could simply be related to personality type. But I think it’s a challenging issue for womens sport and needs proper debate.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2022
    Eddie izzard the obvious one.

The Kardashian/Jenner chap now lady.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Male and female sports were separated for a reason.
    It is unfair on those born as female to introduce trans. It is not a coincidence how few (any?) switch from female to male in sport.
    Trans need to compete against the sex they were born with or separately.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Eddie izzard the obvious one.

The Kardashian/Jenner chap now lady.

The Jenner chap was Daley Thompson’s arch rival
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    morstar said:

I find it interesting that there seem to be relatively few trans people in public life. Even in the arts where diversity is widely embraced and yet there do seem to be a surprising number of trans athletes cropping up in elite sport. An arena not renowned for diversity.

Could simply be related to personality type. But I think it’s a challenging issue for womens sport and needs proper debate.

Or the non-prescription drugs they take are having side effects
  • john80
    edited March 2022
    I find it funny how society seems happy to disadvantage 50% of the population so that biological males that are now female can compete against them. I am a big fan of an open class and a biological female category. At least this way we will be discussing rare cases such as Caster rather than people such as Lia. How many people gaming the system does it take before there is not womens sport. I would argue not many before women draw the logical conclusion sport offers them nothing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2022
    Johnson makes a jibe at Starmer for the trans culture wars effort.

8 hours later Tory MP comes out as struggling with gender dysphoria and declares he wants to be a woman.

I mean, is he a leader of anything at this point?
  • rick_chasey
    Separately, using your issues around gender to explain away a hit and run is pathetic.

I’m happy to treat him/her by whatever gender they want, but let’s not pretend that’s remotely related to fleeing the scene of a car accident.

Tories eh? Morons the lot of them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    john80 said:

I find it funny how society seems happy to disadvantage 50% of the population so that biological males that are now female can compete against them. I am a big fan of an open class and a biological female category. At least this way we will be discussing rare cases such as Caster rather than people such as Lia. How many people gaming the system does it take before there is not womens sport. I would argue not many before women draw the logical conclusion sport offers them nothing.

50% of the population does not compete in elite level sport.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

50% of men don' compete in elite sport so what's you point. Maybe we should let Cheetahs enter the Olympic track and field events next time. I mean if we can train them and get their testosterone level down to a suitable level why not? The post race interviewer will have a hard time mind.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

My turn.
    It’s a lot more than 50%. ;)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited March 2022

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

My turn.
    It’s a lot more than 50%. ;)

No the Olympics goes on forever if there a few billion competitors.

If you mean more than 50% of those who compete in elite level sport are male then that sounds very likely but different from what John wrote.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Robert Millar/Philipa York
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

morstar said:

Millar never competed as Phillipa York though.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    It's a lot more than 50 percent of the population that don't compete in elite sport I guess is the point.

Is sport not known for embracing diversity? At a guess I'd say there were a higher percentage of black premiership footballers than ftse 100 board members. There does seem to be a large number of lesbian elite athletes too.

Of course there's a bit of an elephant in the room with regards to gay footballers (and other sports).
  • morstar

morstar said:

What do you mean in context of what I wrote?
  • rick_chasey
    A trans person in the public life
  • morstar

A trans person in the public life

Naming one person has what impact on the discussion?

I said “there seem to be relatively few trans people in public life”.

Post count?