Edward Colston/Trans rights/Stamp collecting

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Yeah heard about that. Gill abused his own children apparently so I assume could make the same argument regarding offence etc.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think we need to decide if we’re upset with the subject or the creator.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

Do you think people who own Rolf Harris paintings still hang them on the wall?
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Probably, tbf. They'd be people with questionable taste, to be honest.

If it turns out a colleague of mine is a nonce, do we rip everything out of the ground that they've designed?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Ben6899 said:

I still have Lost Prophets CDs.
  • Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

If it turns out a colleague of mine is a nonce, do we rip everything out of the ground that they've designed?
    No, I think that would be an overreaction.
  • Ben6899 said:

I had a LP earworm recently. Really like(d) their music
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

No, I think that would be an overreaction.

Agreed.
    Ben

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    The separation of art and artist links into the middle topic through JK Rowling too.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Ben6899 said:

You still have CDs...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Ben6899 said:

You still have CDs...?
    Yes, but I have also the CDs ripped to something more functional. I know that makes me odd these days.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Well TOTP2 isn't likely to show Rolf doing Two Little Boys and I didn't catch Gary Glitter's Another Rock and Roll Christmas on the radio over the festive season so organisations do boycott works by known child abusers.

I can see why someone might want it removed and the arguments that applied to Colston would apply here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

ddraver said:

Ben6899 said:

You still have CDs...?
    Yes, but I have also the CDs ripped to something more functional. I know that makes me odd these days.
    I enjoy being odd too. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Well TOTP2 isn't likely to show Rolf doing Two Little Boys and I didn't catch Gary Glitter's Another Rock and Roll Christmas on the radio over the festive season so organisations do boycott works by known child abusers.

I can see why someone might want it removed and the arguments that applied to Colston would apply here.

That phrase sounds bad in this context!

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    Jezyboy said:

The separation of art and artist links into the middle topic through JK Rowling too.

I'll have to think about this a bit...

On the one hand, the Colston statue was celebrating Colston, the slave trader, whereas Gill's is a work of art about something else, and was a great artist/designer.

Would we have have to never use Gill Sans again?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Jezyboy said:

On the one hand, the Colston statue was celebrating Colston, the slave trader, whereas Gill's is a work of art about something else, and was a great artist/designer.

This is very easy. If you remove all art produced by a***holes there is very little left.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Pross said:

That phrase sounds bad in this context!

I don't know what you mean Pross I capitalised the song title to avoid any confusion.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

This is very easy. If you remove all art produced by a***holes there is very little left.
    Does it make you reconsider whether the laws as they stand are suitable given the Colston four acquittal?
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

I suppose an interesting hypothetical would be would there be a difference between a public sculpture of Jimmy Savile and (if he had done any) a sculpture by him. There are quite a few variables to consider, including depravity of crimes, the quality of the art, and the length of time since the crime.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Does it make you reconsider whether the laws as they stand are suitable given the Colston four acquittal?
    Not really. We don't know why they were acquitted so how would we know what to change? Anyway this was a statue of rather than by an a***hole put up as a bit of propaganda. I'd seriously question whether it counts as art.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Not really. We don't know why they were acquitted so how would we know what to change? Anyway this was a statue of rather than by an a***hole put up as a bit of propaganda. I'd seriously question whether it counts as art.

Toppling statues of objectionable people has got quite a long history too.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

As the secret barrister has explained, it doesn't matter what the subject is as long as the would be destroyer feels it is offensive/criminal/can't remember. That might not have been the one that persuaded the jury, but it still feels a bit loose to me, and is likely to encourage more damage as we have seen recently.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    edited January 2022
    If you are up against jury of your peers it is always a good idea society at large is sympathetic to your cause or conviction awaits.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

As the secret barrister has explained, it doesn't matter what the subject is as long as the would be destroyer feels it is offensive/criminal/can't remember. That might not have been the one that persuaded the jury, but it still feels a bit loose to me, and is likely to encourage more damage as we have seen recently.
    It's been the law for nearly 50 years. Why on earth would it suddenly need changing on the basis of one verdict which cannot set a precedent. People may try to use this defence, but they'd be a fool to think the Colston case changes anything.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    Laws change all the time. The Colston case doesn't set a legal precedent, but it sets an example that it is possible to damage something and not face punishment. Would the guy who was having a go at the BBC statue have done so prior to the Colston case?
  • rjsterry

Laws change all the time. The Colston case doesn't set a legal precedent, but it sets an example that it is possible to damage something and not face punishment. Would the guy who was having a go at the BBC statue have done so prior to the Colston case?

It always was possible. You'd have to ask the guy whether the Colston case influenced his actions. The idea that this is something new is just wrong. In 50 years of criminal damage convictions, you are suggesting that no-one has ever successfully used the 'lawful excuse' defence until now?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

It always was possible. You'd have to ask the guy whether the Colston case influenced his actions. The idea that this is something new is just wrong. In 50 years of criminal damage convictions, you are suggesting that no-one has ever successfully used the 'lawful excuse' defence until now?
    Not at all. They have just brought it to the public's attention. This is the way laws change. They exist, sometimes for a while, there is an event which some people don't like then the laws change.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    edited January 2022
    That's getting a bit silly now. Wonder what classic car enthusiasts who own MG Midgets are going to do to avoid offending anyone?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ben6899
    Stevo_666 said:

That's getting a bit silly now. Wonder what classic car enthusiasts who own MG Midgets are going to do to avoid offending anyone?

I sold mine. Saw this coming...
    Ben