Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Tashman said:

Day 1, Game 1 - England lose the toss and are put in. here's to a great tournament

opening game played in front of what looks like friends and relatives is not a good look
  • I didn't know it was starting today.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Tashman said:

Day 1, Game 1 - England lose the toss and are put in. here's to a great tournament

opening game played in front of what looks like friends and relatives is not a good look
    No, but in an enormous stadium on a Thursday and no host nation playing it's to be expected. Will probably fill a bit later when they knock off work and is a little cooler.
    B*gger a second wicket falls!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    282-9. Could of been worse, should of been better. See how the bowling goes.

Very surprised that India aren't playing in the opening game. Seems unusual as World Cups (any sport) go.
  • Tashman
    Lets hope that the pitch starting to wear already helps our 4 spinners. Not the high scoring start I was hoping for. Too many wickets given cheaply.
  • Tashman
    and looks like it'll all be in vain at the minute. In desperate need of wickets
  • JimD666
    Not even looking like we gong to take a wicket.
  • Tashman
    That's quite a pasting. That NRR could be critical
  • JimD666
    Bjørge Lillelien's speech at the end of a Norway/England football kick about sprang to mind.

• JimD666
    edited October 2023
    India with an easy run chase of 200

Or not.

2 for 3. No runs off the bat....

EDIT: oh and the stadium isn't exactly full. Which is a little worrying for the host nation
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Maybe the people who are saying 50 over cricket is done are right. I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for this tournament although it is probably timing for me, coming at the end of a summer of cricket that I've really enjoyed I'm having a mental break from it.
  • JimD666
    Couldn't disagree. Was looking forward to this as the road cycling comes to a close. But it's just....meh

Considering how the '19 WC went this just feels utterly uninspiring.
  • JimD666 said:

Couldn't disagree. Was looking forward to this as the road cycling comes to a close. But it's just....meh

Considering how the '19 WC went this just feels utterly uninspiring.

I have avague memory that the first 99% of '19 was boring. Even the first 95 overs of the final were turgid.
  • Tashman
    We need to have some close finishes. That is what gets the attention. All the matches so far have been one-sided.
  • It's always a massive overblown format with too many matches. Is this better or worse than two pools of seven teams, where nobody big really gets knocked out in the group stage, but there is another round of actual knockout matches?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    More cricket, this time in the Olympics. Just what the schedules needed :/
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422

More cricket, this time in the Olympics. Just what the schedules needed :/

I don't think a t20 Olympics is necessarily the end of the world, could be good for profile.

I think the ODI format feels a bit redundant though at the moment.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    The more limited overs cricket that is played, the more valuable tests become. There are not many tests.
  • JimD666
    For a stadium in one of the most gorgeous settings the outfield is awful. Such a shame.

England's need a win and a good one at that
  • Tashman
    It is a stunning location. Reasonable score but felt like they left a few out there with a flurry of cheap wickets at the end.
  • Tashman said:

It is a stunning location. Reasonable score but felt like they left a few out there with a flurry of cheap wickets at the end.

I think too many teams get over excited about wickets in hand.

I think England's weakness is they are not very good at picking a score to aim at instead of going for a world record
  • Tashman
    Finished up wiping out their deficit in NRR. Job jobbed. Restricted them well.
  • bobmcstuff
    Australia taking a pasting again which makes me happy.

I think the NRR stuff is encouraging some pretty turgid cricket, they are just playing out for as long as possible.
  • England currently being taken apart by... Afghanistan
  • Meanwhile here's a T20 match where the bowling side gave away 64 runs as no-balls, then got bowled out for 63.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/chile-women-in-argentina-2023-24-1402761/argentina-women-vs-chile-women-1st-t20i-1402764/full-scorecard
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,489
    Ooops, England humiliated by the cricketing super power that is Afganistan....
  • Ooops, England humiliated by the cricketing super power that is Afganistan....

They were well beaten
  • bobmcstuff
    All of the CWC games seem to have been really one sided, not the greatest spectacle.

I knew we were in for trouble when they got to 100-0.
  • What a ground this is!