Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

Tyrell's vs KP tonight

The crisp derby
    I know it's for people who don't understand cricket, but surely everyone knows KP is peanuts.

It's class war, this one.
  • kingstongraham
    They've even got a picture of a peanut on the shirt ffs.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2023
    Have been watching for 10 minutes, and still only know it's Tyrell's vs KP.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    Higher scoring which is more fun. Hope it's like that on Monday!
  • bobmcstuff

I don't think you need to overthink it...
  • kingstongraham

I'm not. No idea who's winning. Or whether KP have already batted.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Thought he'd retired.
  • bobmcstuff

Can't you tell who's batting by the brand of crisps the batters have on their shirts (it's Tyrells).

KP are bowling.

Tyrells are 124-7 - they were absolutely flying when Rossington was batting, but have lost wickets quickly since. There are 9 balls left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393

Pross said:

Tyrell's vs KP tonight

The crisp derby
    I know it's for people who don't understand cricket, but surely everyone knows KP is peanuts.

It's class war, this one.
    They also do McCoys, Hula Hoops, Skips and those silly bear things some idiot suggested were superior to Skips.

I assume they are the overall sponsor and spread it across the brands.
  • Pross

Not watching but is one of the teams Glamorgan, sorry I mean Welsh Fire? I know they’re playing this evening.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Sam Curran still playing I see despite his IPL mega bucks.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Not watching but is one of the teams Glamorgan, sorry I mean Welsh Fire? I know they’re playing this evening.
    Yeah they played Lancashire I mean Manchester and won - shortened game due to rain.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

The bar shows runs required when a team is chasing, sort of like watching normal cricket.
  • bobmcstuff

Sam Curran still playing I see despite his IPL mega bucks.

Both Currans are playing for KP.

Also in this game are Will Jacks, Jason Roy, Liam Dawson, Sam Billings, Ravi Bopara, and a few other reasonably well known names.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2023

The bar shows runs required when a team is chasing, sort of like watching normal cricket.
    Yeah the bar on the left counts up during the first innings and down in the second innings.

The end of this first innings was quite fun I thought. Missed the first half of the innings while I was out running.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Shaheen Afridi was bowling there tonight, which must be a pretty decent signing for the league.
  • bobmcstuff
    The Cardiff Manchester game was well good actually - 40 ball innings, Cardiff got 95 from their 40 (so effectively over 14 rpo in normal cricket), then Manchester got to 85 with Joss Buttler smashing it around at the end.

Afridi got Phil Salt and Laurie Evans with his first 2 balls.
  • bobmcstuff
    KP beat Tyrell's with one ball remaining and I found it very entertaining, good ebb and flow. Certainly no worse than any other domestic t20 I've watched.
  • Pross

The Cardiff Manchester game was well good actually - 40 ball innings, Cardiff got 95 from their 40 (so effectively over 14 rpo in normal cricket), then Manchester got to 85 with Joss Buttler smashing it around at the end.

They should have gone for a 40 or 50 ball game to make it more different from T20.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

They should have gone for a 40 or 50 ball game to make it more different from T20.
    I think there might be a market for a t10 league as that's a format that might be played at the Olympics.

I think the really short formats get a little one dimensional though, t20 is just about long enough to ebb and flow a touch, there is time for some jeopardy both ways. The Hundred isn't much different in that regard.

Apparently one of the main criteria was to fit the games inside 3 hours finishing by 9.30pm so families with kids can go after work.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,512
    edited August 2023

Certainly no worse than any other domestic t20 I've watched.

Damned by faint praise!
  • Pross said:

Shaheen Afridi was bowling there tonight, which must be a pretty decent signing for the league.
    They've also signed Haris Rauf, so the Fire have a proper Pakistani pace pair.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    i don't think many argue with the quality of a lot of the players on show. The cricket itself is actually good. The format and graphics are just plain weird though. As an introduction to bowl, hit, field it's great. Everything else is different in every other format though so a true newbie would be confused.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    T20 was created by the counties to get more fans in. The Hundred is largely the same idea. I don't really see a problem with another format. It's not as if T20 has been around long.

I would make some changes to the rules though:
    - no free hit after a no ball, but instead a free hit after two consecutive sixes
    - two plays and misses => must run next ball

• Pross said:

I think there might be a market for a t10 league as that's a format that might be played at the Olympics.

I think the really short formats get a little one dimensional though, t20 is just about long enough to ebb and flow a touch, there is time for some jeopardy both ways. The Hundred isn't much different in that regard.

Apparently one of the main criteria was to fit the games inside 3 hours finishing by 9.30pm so families with kids can go after work.
    You could play a T20 well within 3 hours, you just need to make the punishments draconian enough.

Most of the behaviour in the last few overs is just cheating to disrupt the batsmen.
  • bobmcstuff

Certainly no worse than any other domestic t20 I've watched.

Damned by faint praise!
    Nah I enjoyed it. Just the right amount of jeopardy for a t20 run chase without properly spoiling it.
  • bobmcstuff
    On my way to see McCoy's vs Butterkist - I think we can all agree there's no competition which is best.

Looking forward to a couple of beers in the sun (hopefully according to forecast) and seeing Jos Buttler smashing it about a bit (also hopefully). Might catch the end of the women's game too.
  • On my way to see McCoy's vs Butterkist - I think we can all agree there's no competition which is best.

Looking forward to a couple of beers in the sun (hopefully according to forecast) and seeing Jos Buttler smashing it about a bit (also hopefully). Might catch the end of the women's game too.

I doubt it.
    Phoenix all out for 87 and a first in the league 5 wicket haul for just 7 runs from Morris.
  • bobmcstuff

On my way to see McCoy's vs Butterkist - I think we can all agree there's no competition which is best.

I doubt it.
    Phoenix all out for 87 and a first in the league 5 wicket haul for just 7 runs from Morris.
    Yeah was just catching up on the train.

That still took them 86 balls and the second innings only just started, I reckon I'll be there in 15 mins.
  • On my way to see McCoy's vs Butterkist - I think we can all agree there's no competition which is best.

I doubt it.
    Yeah was just catching up on the train.

That still took them 86 balls and the second innings only just started, I reckon I'll be there in 15 mins.
    99 balls to beat 87 must have helped!