Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    Tashman said:

Fire have had a massive turnaround this year

Not enough to beat Rockets yesterday though in the mens - pitch looked totally different compared to the women's game scorecard. Largely thanks to Colin Munro after the top order with hales, Malan and Root all not delivering.

I see Afridi and Rauf are off now as well.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Tashman said:

Fire have had a massive turnaround this year

Not enough to beat Rockets yesterday though in the mens - pitch looked totally different compared to the women's game scorecard. Largely thanks to Colin Munro after the top order with hales, Malan and Root all not delivering.

I see Afridi and Rauf are off now as well.
    I know it happens in all leagues and formats but it's a shame that the players aren't able to commit for the whole tournament. Just so many different schedules competing
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2023
    I've been to 3 Hundred matches at Old Trafford now, I would say it's been a generally good experience - for the price (starting at £20) and the duration with them all being double headers, it's been really good value for money in my opinion (and good for attendance at the women's games). You get to see a really wide range of players in action, from up and coming players like 17 year old up-and-coming bowler Mahika Gaur (who's 6ft2!) to I guess you'd say "journeymen" and older more experienced pros, some well known international players, and finally obviously the big name England players. As I am also going to the England-New Zealand IT20 at Old Trafford it was good seeing the likes of Joss Buttler effectively warming up.

I took 5 colleagues to one of the games - 3 of whom had never been to the cricket before, and they all seemed to enjoy it and we are planning a bigger office trip next year (maybe not on a Monday...).

The 10 ball over/5 ball set format is quite good in a way at keeping the game moving - if you have a set batter they get the opportunity to keep the strike, and if you have a bowler on a good spell they can have a good chance to run through the batters. Less frequent change of ends makes the game a bit faster too. But I would have been equally happy with a normal over structure. I also don't mind having it confined to the school holidays, it was good seeing so many kids there.

I think my overall summary is that it's still unnecessary in addition to the Vitality Blast, but that doesn't make it bad.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited August 2023
    Looks like the Women's eliminator is done. Need to be back out by 17:11 but Thunder/Lightning and heavy rain is putting that in rather serious doubt. Watching Nick Knight flinch with every peal of thunder is fun though :)

EDIT: Match abandoned. Northern Superchargers progress due to higher finish in league table
  • Joke way to sort out the eliminator, especially in this country.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    Nasser had a good point along the lines of: Instead of completely screwing the women's match, reduce the amount the men can play so you end up with 2 completed games rather than the one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    JimD666 said:

Nasser had a good point along the lines of: Instead of completely screwing the women's match, reduce the amount the men can play so you end up with 2 completed games rather than the one.

It’s just common sense you’d think
  • JimD666
    Brutal batting in the men's game. 197 chased down with 4 balls to spare.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Only 3 wickets across both the innings too...batters paradise. It's bit of a strange game the eliminator with neither side being a home team, atmosphere really didn't sound like it reflected the scoring on the pitch.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2023
    JimD666 said:

Brutal batting in the men's game. 197 chased down with 4 balls to spare.

An unbelievable chase really. Pretty great.

Shame about the women's game. We have had an absolutely atrocious summer.
  • Pross
    Watching the javelin at the athletics and India have become a bit of a power in the event. Apparently they’ve been recruiting people from a cricket background to become throwers.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,489
    Pross said:

Watching the javelin at the athletics and India have become a bit of a power in the event. Apparently they’ve been recruiting people from a cricket background to become throwers.

India gold (with 3 in the final) and Pakistan silver.
    A bit of a wow, what's going on moment!
  • Better take that massive wage rise announcement back, England women absolutely mullered by Sri Lanka.
  • In the spirit of equality, the men follow the lead of the woman’s team.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2023

In the spirit of equality, the men follow the lead of the woman’s team.

:smiley:

Old Trafford was great fun on Friday, very enjoyable night out - much less stressful than watching the Ashes...
  • Another embarrassing performance from England’s women.
    Sri Lanka have over half the required runs in 5 overs for no wickets.
  • bobmcstuff
    England throwing away this ODI as well, absolutely useless like in the last two t20s.
  • Tashman
    Definitely needing some wickets. Not the greatest start
  • bobmcstuff
    Poor. Don't understand why they're being talked about as a favourite for the world cup - they've absolutely capitulated the last 3 games. Abject.
  • bobmcstuff
    Like they've not even been close, it's 3 games in a row they've just been awful. I was listening to TMS podcast and even after the last t20 which they pathetically capitulated in the commentators and Wood were still talking like England are a favourite for the WC. Obviously they aren't. They'll beat Ireland (although not a given at the moment) and they'll lose this ODI series heavily.
  • Why is our bowling unit suddenly looking very ineffective?
  • In all sports a team should clear out players who will be too old by the next one.

Too many young players don’t have enough experience and for players like Roy it feels like a tournament too far.

Saying all that it was pretty much a second 11
  • England currently going at 9 an over in the ODI against Ireland.
  • Unfortunately the ground staff didn't get going so quickly when rain arrived.
  • Pross
    Feels weird that they're still playing home international matches in late September.
  • Pross said:

Feels weird that they're still playing home international matches in late September.

They aren't now. Match abandoned - no result.
  • Pross
    It's not normal to be still trying even is it? I thought they usually finish in early September at the latest and was surprised to hear a match on the radio at the weekend (I thought I'd paused Radio 5SX last time I'd listened or something).
  • I thought on average the UK has less rain in Sept than in Aug when we were whinging about the Ashes - HA - it is by 3mm

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/d29ad7056f3548eb8affeb1c0ad50106

• Tashman
    So annoying that those that were on England duty yesterday are allowed to parachute into the CC teams today. I've never worked out how anyone thinks this is a fair approach to the game.
  • Tashman
    Day 1, Game 1 - England lose the toss and are put in. here's to a great tournament