Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited July 2023
    Smith run out by fielding sub.

Is it just me getting a '05 Ponting flash back?

Edit scratch that not out apparently
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    JimD666 said:

Overturned, probably correctly
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Overturned, probably correctly
    I think it's the first time I've had a wicket notification that wasn't 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    Are the Aussie trying to send everyone to sleep for the next few days? I’ve been out all day and was surprised to find the Aussies still batting but a headline of England hoping to take first innings lead. Even with two part-time bowlers none has gone for more than 3 an over and only Root is over 2.5 an over.
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

Are the Aussie trying to send everyone to sleep for the next few days? I’ve been out all day and was surprised to find the Aussies still batting but a headline of England hoping to take first innings lead. Even with two part-time bowlers none has gone for more than 3 an over and only Root is over 2.5 an over.

To give you some idea Vaughan has christened it "snoozeball"
  • bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Pross said:

To give you some idea Vaughan has christened it "snoozeball"
    I certainly hope they don't win playing like this anyway. I hope those super slow scoring rates come back to bite them, it's no good facing a tonne of balls if you don't get any runs.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Think we need to knock these last two over quickly - any first innings lead could be vital.
  • bobmcstuff

Think we need to knock these last two over quickly - any first innings lead could be vital.

Hmm... they're taking their chances so far, they will have a lead I think.
  • kingstongraham
    Murphy had never scored a 6 before. In any form of professional cricket.
  • bobmcstuff
    I thought we'd be seeing England bat again this evening. Perhaps not...
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Bloody hell - Stokes catch first Root ball - what a spectacular catch!

Being reviewed by the umpires but it looks regulation.

Another one for England's leading all-rounder...
  • kingstongraham
    Two insane catches today.

Game on.
  • JimD666
    He may only have one leg but ruddy hell! Made it look easy :)
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Small advantage England given the difficulty of 4th innings chases here. Google has 48:38 to England and WinViz will be stronger towards England. Anything around those figures is basically parity though.

England need to bat really well 3rd innings. Tomorrow looks alright...
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Bus change's 9 off 82 is ridiculous.

Smith says he's disappointed not to have got on and made a decent lead.
  • JimD666
    edited July 2023
    Declare at tea tomorrow with a 350 run lead. 7 full sessions (weather dependent) to bowl the Aussies out.

😉
  • bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Declare at tea tomorrow with a 350 run lead. 7 full sessions (weather dependent) to bowl the Aussies out.

😉

You heard it here first 😜

We need Root, Stokes and Bairstow to show some application. No idea who will bat 3 if Ali is injured.
  • JimD666
    Jimmy Anderson kicking into touch one of the theories that most of the ex-pro commentators have been bringing up, about the lack of rest the English bowlers get due to the style of batting.

"You just have to get on with it" is what he said (roughly).
    What I heard was "We're fitter than you lot ever were"
  • Pross
    Watching the highlights and Anderson in particular was unlucky not to get more wickets. The Aussies could easily have been skittles for less than 200. Their tail was annoying again.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Watching the highlights and Anderson in particular was unlucky not to get more wickets. The Aussies could easily have been skittles for less than 200. Their tail was annoying again.

Story of his series for me
  • Pross

Pross said:

Story of his series for me
    They were trying to play him a bit more today though.
  • bobmcstuff
    Sounds like the Aussies are a bit disappointed with their day. It's still pretty even I think.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

The thing that has suprised me is the actual gap between the two teams. England at their best look significantly better than Australia.

Australia won the first two tests largely due to English mistakes and sloppiness, they have never truly dominated England on a given day.

Regardless of the final outcome, I think England have shown when they get selections right and find the attacking balance, they are clearly a better team.

The big problem there is that England have chosen not to base selection on form.
  • JimD666
    edited July 2023
    If they keep the current rate going till tea then their looking at 450 rather than 350! EDIT By tea

They won't.

Probably.
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:

If they keep the current rate going till tea then their looking at 450 rather than 350! EDIT By tea

They won't.

Probably.

I would have thought that based on previous form in this series you would avoid commenting! 😂
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:

They won't.

Probably.

I would have thought that based on previous form in this series you would avoid commenting! 😂
    I was hoping my form would start to pick up 😎
  • Pross
    Starc 22 runs of 2 overs, that’s a bit ouch
  • bobmcstuff
    Very good morning from England, couldn't really have gone better. Australia very flat in the field as well...

I thought at Old Trafford they were missing a spinner but so far England have played Murphy very well. Anyone else hear the trumpeter playing Harry Potter for him :D
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Worried about jinxing it but the highest successful 4th innings chase at the Oval is 263.....
  • Pross
    I assume we’re effectively 2 down with Ali unlikely to bat?