Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,422
    Overcast, lights on, humid - should be good for Anderson and Broad... And Woakes and Wood!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    Strange innings that, it felt like they were scoring fast between the wickets. Scored at over 5 an over but that in itself doesn't feel that fast with this team. Let's hope we can get stuck into them now.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Jeez, one absolutely hooping for Anderson, mostly after passing the batter.
  • bobmcstuff
    Genuine edge from Wood - didn't quite carry to Bairstow. Probably unfair to blame him...
  • kingstongraham
    Just home in time for the first wicket. All dry.
  • bobmcstuff
    Shame there wasn't a second...

Less than 80 overs in the day again.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Did Moeen make it on to the field at all? I'm guessing he is done for this test then?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I would argue that the paying customers got their money's worth with 344 runs and 11 wickets.

My issue with over rates is that it can be used as a cheating tactic
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393

I would argue that the paying customers got their money's worth with 344 runs and 11 wickets.

The problem is that it isn't always the bowling side to blame either so sanctioning them might be unreasonable. It can even be neither side at fault e.g. left and right handed batsmen regularly rotating strike resulting in the field constantly having to change.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    I just think make every session 30 overs as they do in county cricket. You have the break when you've bowled the overs.
  • bobmcstuff

Did Moeen make it on to the field at all? I'm guessing he is done for this test then?

No, and possibly!
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

The problem is that it isn't always the bowling side to blame either so sanctioning them might be unreasonable. It can even be neither side at fault e.g. left and right handed batsmen regularly rotating strike resulting in the field constantly having to change.
    It definitely can be used as a cheating tactic and it's definitely not always the bowling side - last Saturday we were bowling two spinners in Ali and Root, spinners always have quicker over rates than fast bowlers anyway, but Ali in particular absolutely rattles through his overs and Root isn't slow either. But it was still very slow as Labuschagne in particular was taking ages to get back in his crease, he would stand outside the crease for ages after each ball. This was a clear tactic to slow the game down and wait for the rain.
    Tashman said:

I just think make every session 30 overs as they do in county cricket. You have the break when you've bowled the overs.

This would be my favoured approach I think. I think they should just play to the conditions until they have hit the required overs - I think all the stuff about adding extra overs when rain is forecast needs a bit more thought as you probably can't have 120 over days etc.. And reserve days would play havoc with scheduling which is already tight.

• bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Anderson getting a lot of movement this morning... Hope it pays off for him.

3 maidens in a row so far
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Gone Old Skool test cricket this morning. Tight lines, batters leaving.
  • bobmcstuff
    Wood up at 92-93 mph again, quicker than yesterday. Aussies first runs from byes - that ball moved loads after pitching
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Tashman said:

I wouldbe upfor this... but I have moaned my way out of grounds about a turgid days play but I have never heard a fan complaining about the over rate.

They could invent some insanely complicated system whereby you could break for lunch if you had seen 150/0 or 50/5 with a sliding scale inbetween.

Otherwise you could be back in the days of spinners firing the ball outside leg and being kicked away for maiden after maiden to get the over rate up.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    They actually started about 1 minute early this morning. Well done on the Umpires for doing their best to ensure they get the overs in...😉
  • kingstongraham
    What a catch. Keeper hadn't even moved.
  • JimD666

What a catch. Keeper hadn't even moved.

It was a stunning catch from Root. It should of been a regulation catch from the keeper.

Either way its the breakthrough. Finally.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A breakthrough - whether it's "the" breakthrough remains to be seen.
  • bobmcstuff
    Khawaja has been lucky here.

Think bus change was cross with him making absolutely no effort to rotate the strike. 9 runs off 80 odd balls!
  • JimD666

Think bus change was cross with him

Auto-correct or new nickname?!

• bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Think bus change was cross with him

Auto-correct or new nickname?!

New nickname ;)

We were calling him loose bus change at Old Trafford last week, just checking it's not racist or something!
  • bobmcstuff
    Bloody hell they always take wickets when I get on work calls...

I think I need to stop watching as they always take wickets as soon as I turn it off.

Australia have just gone past the 54.4 overs that England's innings took for 283 - their score was 130...

I think those slow scoring rates could be a problem for them if they lose one or two more now quickly.
  • kingstongraham
    Did they just ask for this ball to be checked??? It seems OK to me.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023

Did they just ask for this ball to be checked??? It seems OK to me.

They've had it checked at least 3 times that I have seen including once last night - England clearly think there's something wrong with it, I thought the last one I saw before this it was starting to stick in the measuring thingy.

but yeah when we are taking wickets you'd think we just keep going...
  • bobmcstuff
    Clearly I need to stop watching again, has quietened down.
  • bobmcstuff
    YESSSS JIMMY!
  • bobmcstuff
    Carey hits a 6 and out - England's premier all rounder strikes again :smiley:
  • The thing that has suprised me is the actual gap between the two teams. England at their best look significantly better than Australia.

Australia won the first two tests largely due to English mistakes and sloppiness, they have never truly dominated England on a given day.

Regardless of the final outcome, I think England have shown when they get selections right and find the attacking balance, they are clearly a better team.