Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    If you'll forgive me a little song....

"He's big, he's bad, he's better than his dad. Stuart Broad. Stuart Broad"

Entertaining hour or so this morning. 10 over spell. 21 runs. 4 wickets. And they tried to drop him 12 months+ ago.
  • JimD666
    We win and the Indians have battered the Aussies.

Life is good for a England cricket fan. 😀
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Well that was not the score I was expecting to see this morning when I went to bed with us 21-3!
  • JimD666
    Wasn't quite as bad when I gave up at lunch. Think they were a at 100odd for 3 but still didn't expect them to get through the rest of the shortened day unscathed.

Considering how green the pitch was, I think they'll be mighty pleased with themselves.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    edited February 2023
    That's bonkers, to go from 21-3 to 315-3
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    Brook is quite good isn't he?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    Pross said:

So far. It depends whether any bowlers are able to find a weakness. If that happens others tend to pick up on it.
  • Pross said:

So far. It depends whether any bowlers are able to find a weakness. If that happens others tend to pick up on it.
    will be very interesting to see if the Aussies find one
  • Thought it was a disappointingly low score for one day's batting, but just seen they only got 65 overs in.
  • JimD666

Thought it was a disappointingly low score for one day's batting, but just seen they only got 65 overs in.

315-3 in 90 overs on a green pitch would of been considered miraculous not that long ago.

And by England? It would of been written of as a work of fiction!
  • JimD666 said:

Thought it was a disappointingly low score for one day's batting, but just seen they only got 65 overs in.

315-3 in 90 overs on a green pitch would of been considered miraculous not that long ago.

And by England? It would of been written of as a work of fiction!
    I mean disappointingly standard as a scoring rate. I'd say 100 per session is a reasonable rate.

Would be unusually slow for this team.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    The women have a decent chase to make here today. Going well so far
  • Tashman said:

The women have a decent chase to make here today. Going well so far

not a follower of ladies cricket but sure 90 runs from 12 overs with 8 wickets remaining is a walk in the park?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Doesn't seem so straight forward now.
  • Now England’s men no longer crumble, the women pick up that dropped baton.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Now England’s men no longer crumble, the women pick up that dropped baton.

I think the chance of calamity is one of the selling points over mens cricket.
  • JimD666

Pross said:

Apparently he's carp at restarting on 184. Out for 186.

I suppose it'll do 😉
  • Pross
    Old style collapse now.
  • JimD666
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

Old style collapse now.

Isn't this technically a new style collapse?
    Old style collapse would of seen us all out for 60 before lunch yesterday.
  • JimD666
    Declaration made. 435-8. Quick pop at the kiwis before lunch.
  • Pross
    All set for an exciting final day. Excellent come back by NZ.
  • I happened to wake up as the 9th wicket went down. An amazing finish. Well done NZ.

As an aside, two classic run outs in the match. If you haven't seen Bracewell getting run out when his bat, foot and body are all over the crease, it's quite something.
  • Pross
    Time to sack the coach and captain. Terrible defeat, should never have enforced the follow on…

😂
  • JimD666
    edited February 2023
    One of England's stated goals is to make test cricket "relevant" in a world that really prefers the 20 over game. Absolutely no clue is they'll manage it but it's going to be one heck of a ride to find out.

Well played both. 👏👏
  • Pross said:

Time to sack the coach and captain. Terrible defeat, should never have enforced the follow on…

😂

I know you are taking the mickey but it will be interesting to see if they learn from their mistake of enforcing the follow on with 3 seamers with a combined age of 105.

When will we accept that Stoke is the 4th seamer in name only?

Did a weak NZ attack devise a Bazball antidote by getting the wicky up to the stumps and/or continuous short pitched deliveries until we hooked ourselves to defeat?

I love Bazball but I think to stay so effective it needs to evolve.
  • Pross said:

😂

I know you are taking the mickey but it will be interesting to see if they learn from their mistake of enforcing the follow on with 3 seamers with a combined age of 105.

Did a weak NZ attack devise a Bazball antidote by getting the wicky up to the stumps and/or continuous short pitched deliveries until we hooked ourselves to defeat?

When I went to bed, Stokes was not looking to score at all, just leaving it to the right hander at the other end.

Running out Brook before he'd faced a ball was a bit of a self inflicted nightmare.
  • Pross said:

😂

When I went to bed, Stokes was not looking to score at all, just leaving it to the right hander at the other end.

Running out Brook before he'd faced a ball was a bit of a self inflicted nightmare.
    Stokes' was a good tactic as after Southee/Henry their attack was very mediocre.

Robinson should have done the same for as long as possible.

With the wicky up Pope looked like he had never batted before
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Just seen a clip of the end. Arguably a wide the penultimate ball? Would have been a big call by the ump to give it.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    the awesome series in India has recommenced and is reaching new peaks.

As somebody who can remember following Test cricket through Ceefax I remain in awe to the beauty of satellite television
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756

the awesome series in India has recommenced and is reaching new peaks.

As somebody who can remember following Test cricket through Ceefax I remain in awe to the beauty of satellite television

I saw an interesting documentary about the first away test broadcast in the UK. Sky bought the rights for a WI tour and no one was really sure it would work. It's easy to bash Sky, but they did do a lot of good stuff like that.