Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• To get a win out of that pitch is incredible.

Be interesting to see how the fast bowlers come out of bowling that many short pitched balls.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,397
    Turns out that my concern about them giving Pakistan too much time was unfounded and it was actually perfect.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Bloody Hell!!
  • Highest aggregate score in a match that had a winner.
  • Tashman
    Highest aggregate in a 5 day match was my understanding. The 2 with more runs were both timeless tests
  • Tashman said:

Highest aggregate in a 5 day match was my understanding. The 2 with more runs were both timeless tests

The highest had 10 days scheduled including two rest days. Day 8 had no play, so only 7 days of batting. Ended in a draw with England on 645-5 in their second innings.

Second was scheduled for 9 days, with a rest day and two days with no play. Also a draw with WI finishing on 408-5, 427 runs behind.
  • Tashman

Tashman said:

The highest had 10 days scheduled including two rest days. Day 8 had no play, so only 7 days of batting. Ended in a draw with England on 645-5 in their second innings.

Second was scheduled for 9 days, with a rest day and two days with no play. Also a draw with WI finishing on 408-5, 427 runs behind.
    Thanks, only partially listening whilst at work so didn't have the full pic. Glad it was a positive result in the end, whichever way.
  • I just hope they don't get criticised when they do inevitably lose a few playing in that manner.

I don't think they will (hopefully not, anyway). Players and fans alike have completely bought into this approach and know that inevitably they will end up losing games, but I think people accept the risk for the rewards we are currently seeing.
  • I know Pakistan players and fans will be gutted but after such a long hiatus from any Test Cricket in Pakistan, I think they will appreciate the fact that England have created the conditions for such a memorable Test match. Stokes could have batted and declared for a draw but he didn't. He respected the game and went for a win, giving both sides a chance of victory.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756

Tashman said:

The rest days aren't included in the days. Your summary of the first is not correct as they played for 9 days.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-south-africa-1938-39-61688/south-africa-vs-england-5th-test-62657/full-scorecard

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-west-indies-1929-30-61749/west-indies-vs-england-4th-test-62579/full-scorecard
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited December 2022

Tashman said:

The rest days aren't included in the days. Your summary of the first is not correct as they played for 9 days.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-south-africa-1938-39-61688/south-africa-vs-england-5th-test-62657/full-scorecard

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-west-indies-1929-30-61749/west-indies-vs-england-4th-test-62579/full-scorecard
    You're spot on.

And people complain now that a match can last 5 days and end in a draw?

There was a run out in the highest one :) And two hit wickets.
  • I just hope they don't get criticised when they do inevitably lose a few playing in that manner.

I don't think they will (hopefully not, anyway). Players and fans alike have completely bought into this approach and know that inevitably they will end up losing games, but I think people accept the risk for the rewards we are currently seeing.
    Ben/Baz would not give two sh1ts about the criticism
  • I wonder if a straw hat is Jim's best bet, unless there is something else that might be easier to digest.

With this new all out approach I'm thinking anyone looking to buy ashes tickets next summer should aim for the first two days.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited December 2022

I wonder if a straw hat is Jim's best bet, unless there is something else that might be easier to digest.

With this new all out approach I'm thinking anyone looking to buy ashes tickets next summer should aim for the first two days.

I was trying to decide on which cuisine Mexican:

or French:

but straw works I guess. Wonder what its like with mustard 🤔
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    edited December 2022

I wonder if a straw hat is Jim's best bet, unless there is something else that might be easier to digest.

. . . I don't think there are any tickets left - I have one for Edgbaston second day. Twenty of us went into the ballot in October, all applied for 6 tickets on first two days and between us we got . . . 6 tickets.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    115-1 when I woke up and flying again. Now 180-5 at lunch!

• JimD666
    The ball is turning a bit for a first day pitch. Losing wickets but still scoring well.

I'd make a grandiose prediction about likely hood of a draw, but I've still got indigestion from the last one.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Would like to see Stokes play himself in a bit here rather than going at it like a headless chicken. I know he's trying to lead by example but he always looks a better player when he gets himself in before attacking.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2022
    mrb123 said:

Would like to see Stokes play himself in a bit here rather than going at it like a headless chicken. I know he's trying to lead by example but he always looks a better player when he gets himself in before attacking.

Just finished reading that as Stokes smacks a ball for 6 and then for 4.
  • Pross
    Anyone know when the last time was the same bowler took the first 7 wickets in a Test let alone a debut?
  • Tashman
    Not sure, still on track for a 10fer too! Ragging on day 1, at least nobody can blame this pitch. Will England have enough between Leach, Jacks and Root or would Ahmed have been a good bet here?
  • Tashman
    Pross said:

Anyone know when the last time was the same bowler took the first 7 wickets in a Test let alone a debut?

Just read on Cricinfo - No Test debutant has ever taken more than an eight-for
  • Tashman
    Jack Leach?!? WTF was that?
  • Pross
    Tashman said:

Pross said:

Just read on Cricinfo - No Test debutant has ever taken more than an eight-for
    Leach's howler means it will stay that way. Maybe that's why he played the shot :lol:
  • Zaltz says England are 76-5 from sweeps today.
  • Tashman
    Woody is having some fun
  • Pross
    Anything in this for seamers? Feels like the polar opposite pitch to the First Test.
  • JimD666
    281 all out.

12 months (or so) ago we'd of still been all out at around the same time but with 140 (at most) on the board. I'll take it.
  • Pross
    The discussion on TMS about why Abrar didn't play in the First Test, it's probably good for him that he didn't as a debut for a bowler on that pitch could have broken him. What are the odds of Abrar-cadabara appearing somewhere in the headlines of the sports pages tomorrow?

TMS commentator suggesting England's score is better than what he'd expected to be par.