Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    JimD666 said:

Think the Aussies have their nose very slightly in front, mainly due to it being a flat wicket.

In other news: England Women are battering Australia Women A, which isn't that surprising. The fact that England Women A are battering Australia Women is.

Been keeping an eye on that through the day. A retired double ton for Tammy Beaumont at the top of the order too
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited June 2023
    I'm opting to revise my opinion that the Aussies have their noses in front. Bairstow seems to be carrying on as if he'd not just had a few months off with a broken leg.

EDIT: 1 maiden. All day. Blimey
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    JimD666 said:

I'm opting to revise my opinion that the Aussies have their noses in front. Bairstow seems to be carrying on as if he'd not just had a few months off with a broken leg.

Please stop posting
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Please stop posting
    Yeah.

sorry :(
  • JimD666
    Declared.

SAY WHAT NOW?!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    I assume they’ve got an eye on the weather but less than 400 doesn’t feel like a comfortable score for a declaration
  • Ha ha ha. I did say it above, England are only going to have one approach all summer, they are going for it at every available opportunity.

It's ballsy, I'll give Stokes that 😁
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    JimD666 said:

Declared.

SAY WHAT NOW?!

Check out those big balls!
  • Pross
    Gonna look silly if the Aussies take a 200 run lead.
  • Gonna look silly if the Aussies take a 200 run lead.

Agreed, but they know it is a calculated risk. They are going to back themselves each time.

At least the series won't be boring!
  • JimD666
    Well its been a fun listen.

Good day
  • Never underestimate what pressure does, even to world class sportsmen!
  • JimD666
    Yes :) Stokes you little beauty.
  • verylonglegs
    Aus were scoring as if they hoped to bat for days.
  • JimD666
    Lead of 7. Should of been (with an actual keeper and no overstepping) much more.

Still makes it interesting to see how many runs Stokes will think is "enough" before he declares. Assuming he gets the chance to and England arn't skittled out for 100.
  • kingstongraham
    I think Bairstow's earned his place on balance. Some good keeping and an innings of 78 will do even with the missed stumping.

Still not sure why they declared on day 1 when they could have just let root loose and got another few dozen.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    Much harder batting now than on the first day. Really should have made hay while sun shone.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I think Bairstow's earned his place on balance. Some good keeping and an innings of 78 will do even with the missed stumping.

Still not sure why they declared on day 1 when they could have just let root loose and got another few dozen.

With the dropped catch and missed stumping, Bairstow’s net contribution is close to zero.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    Watching highlights yesterday and Bairstow was nvolved in 4 of the 5 chances England blew, plus quite a few extras.
    A proper in form keeper would have meant the aussies scoring at least 150 fewer runs
  • JimD666

Watching highlights yesterday and Bairstow was nvolved in 4 of the 5 chances England blew, plus quite a few extras.
    A proper in form keeper would have meant the aussies scoring at least 150 fewer runs

I'm happy to have Bairstow batting, I just want a proper keeper. It would be harsh on Harry Brook because he's the only one I could drop to get Foakes in.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    JimD666 said:

I'm happy to have Bairstow batting, I just want a proper keeper. It would be harsh on Harry Brook because he's the only one I could drop to get Foakes in.
    Drop Crawley and someone else has to open?
  • verylonglegs
    Yeah I'm in the pick a keeper first batter second camp, it's a debate that's going to rumble on.
  • TheBigBean
    Ben Foakes averages 32 with the bat, so isn't that bad.
  • TheBigBean
    Crawley average 28.
  • I get the whole debate around keepers but the selection was clearly based on getting runs. Stokes and BM will know that Bairstow will miss chances but they obviously feel his batting makes up for it. As others have suggested, they aren't going to sacrifice another batter like Brook or Crawley to accommodate Foakes.

This has been the tactical approach since they took over, and to be fair to them they can't really back down on it now. They have gone all in on this style of play and all the team have brought into it fully.

The same thing applies to Crawley. McCullum himself has said he knows ZC will not score consistently but he backs him to get big scores and potentially make valuable contributions at key times.

I think it is an interesting approach, weighing up what a player brings in certain key situations, as opposed to a player that might be consistent but not spectacular. I guess when you go down this route, there will be times it works brilliantly and you are seen as a genius, and times when it falls flat and you are deemed a plonker!

I think Stokes and McCullum back their decisions to work out more often than they fail, which has been the case so far.

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    Assuming England will be trying to get to a lead of 250 ASAP to declare with a couple of hours left today given the forecast tomorrow? Playing like a one-day at the moment.
  • Yep pretty much. At this rate they will declare at tea or maybe even earlier.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Heard an interview with Alec Stewart where he was suggesting having Bairstow and Foakes with Stokes opening. He seemed to think it was a very real option.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Heard an interview with Alec Stewart where he was suggesting having Bairstow and Foakes with Stokes opening. He seemed to think it was a very real option.
    Proving the discussion is not new, there was considerable debate about playing Stewart and not Russell.
  • kingstongraham
    Lead over 200 with 5 wickets left. Looking pretty good.