Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

Weather forecast after the first two days of the test looking potentially iffy.

The last 3 days are only there in case there’s bad weather in the first couple in Test matches these days!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Friday, Saturday and Monday look OK. If the wicket is as flat as Stokes says he's asked for it'll be difficult to get a result
  • Friday, Saturday and Monday look OK. If the wicket is as flat as Stokes says he's asked for it'll be difficult to get a result

Fast and flat is a risk. I get what Stokes is doing (I think!). He wants runs and also to negate the lateral movement and control of the Aussie bowling attack (which I have to admit is superior to England). The main problem is that our attack, Wood aside, is not quick and relies of seam and movement in English conditions to take wickets. The reason the Aussies haven't won a series outright for 20 years is the fact they have struggled against our bowlers in these conditions.

To be fair to Stokes though, he is sticking to his principles, he wants to effectively turn it into a 'shootout' I guess. Whoever can pile on the runs quickest in every test is likely to end up winning.
  • Pross
    Just went to check the score and discovered it starts tomorrow. Any reason for that? Tests always started on a Thursday
  • Friday starts have been happening for a while now. I have no idea why, just assumed it was either commercial reasons or just scheduling when taking into account number of tests and County Championship games.

Due to this being 5 tests in a little over six weeks, the first days are as follows:

1st Test - Friday June 16th
    2nd Test - Weds June 28th
    3rd Test - Thursday July 6th
    4th Test - Weds July 19th
    5th Test - Thurs July 27th
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Wednesday starts are much more strange, could be over before the weekend.
  • Agree on Wednesdays, assume the rationale is just the condensed nature of the series. You have a weds then a Thursday from Tests 2 to 3 which gives an extra day's break and the same with Tests 4 to 5.

I get the reasoning, but as you say, if the game is virtually done by day 3 or 4 then you are going to have a lot of unhappy ticket holders and it has commercial implications if you have a sold out weekend and no play.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    edited June 2023
    Pross said:

Just went to check the score and discovered it starts tomorrow. Any reason for that? Tests always started on a Thursday

Friday starts at least make play likely on a Sunday!
    didn't they used to have a rest day back in the 70s?

Anyway you can log on tomorrow to see England won the toss, elected to bat and are 4 down at lunch! :o
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Friday starts have previously been on the second test in consecutive weeks, because of ICC regulations about rest between matches. No idea why this one is.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited June 2023

Pross said:

Friday starts at least make play likely on a Sunday!
    didn't they used to have a rest day back in the 70s?

Anyway you can log on tomorrow to see England won the toss, elected to bat and are 4 down at lunch! :o
    It was the 90's that the rest day went away.

Anyway.

Predictions?

England win 2-1 is what my heart says. My head is laughing at its naivety 😢
  • Tashman
    I'm thinking with 1 lost to rain at some point! The way England have approached it in the past year, I can't see a draw unless time is lost.
    Aussies are the only team that may be able to go toe to toe with their attack and batting. It really is anyone's guess though.
  • verylonglegs
    Oh no, I'm not going to be the thread doom monger am I? I really don't want to be that person but my gut feeling is saying England could come spectacularly unstuck with it's new approach, it certainly feels high risk in the face of a team like Australia. It wasn't that long ago we were 30-something for 3 wickets down against almost every team we played. I'm leaning toward 3-1 to Australia but would be delighted to be made to be looking like a total mug at the series end.
  • Pross

Oh no, I'm not going to be the thread doom monger am I? I really don't want to be that person but my gut feeling is saying England could come spectacularly unstuck with it's new approach, it certainly feels high risk in the face of a team like Australia. It wasn't that long ago we were 30-something for 3 wickets down against almost every team we played. I'm leaning toward 3-1 to Australia but would be delighted to be made to be looking like a total mug at the series end.

No, I share your fears. Much as I love the style England have been playing it does have potential to go wrong spectacularly.
  • Tashman

No, I'm thinking it could go that way too, or it could carrry on the momentum in England's favour. It's so up in the air for once.
  • JimD666
    Tashman said:

No, I'm thinking it could go that way too, or it could carrry on the momentum in England's favour. It's so up in the air for once.
    Even the most optimistic England fan had this nagging feeling in the back of his/her head of "but it's the Aussies......."

The wife is flat refusing to listen to the first hour if we bat first. 😉
  • A lot of pundits keep saying what happens when England get skittled cheaply, what will they do then? There is no doubt for me that they will do the same again, the approach won't change. I am more interested in how Australia will react. I get the impression they think England will abandon 'bazball' is they lose a test, which I don't think we will. It will be interesting to see how the Aussies respond to this.

If England lose a test they have the confidence to go again and win the next IMO, whereas past teams would crumble.

To win 3 tests, they are going to have to skittle England cheaply on at least 6 innings which is not impossible but unlikely. I think both teams will have their successes, I can easily see a 3-2, just not sure in which teams favour!
  • JimD666
    Stoke wins the toss and with no real surprise chooses to bat first
  • Pross
    If it all goes as well as the first ball it will be a good series!
  • JimD666
    Aussies already having to react and change fields. This could be something special..
  • kingstongraham
    JimD666 said:

Aussies already having to react and change fields. This could be something special..

Ha.

Streaky bottom edge and then out.
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Ha.

Streaky bottom edge and then out.
    I nearly deleted the post for tempting fate. Then thought nah it'll be fine.....

Doh!
  • kingstongraham
    Looks a good contest. Some seam movement, a little bit of uneven bounce, at least one that span into a half chance off Lyon. Batters dealing with it pretty well.
  • kingstongraham
    Morning session to Australia then.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    124-3 isn't too bad.
  • JimD666
    Yeah. Crawley's wicket on lunch turned it their way. Still been an entertaining listen this morning
  • verylonglegs
    Was I the only one surprised and really pleased to see Starc missing out?
  • JimD666

Was I the only one surprised and really pleased to see Starc missing out?

It's not quite on the McGrath not playing scale but certainly happy he's not there
  • Tashman
    That Brook wicket was right up there for a WTF moment. Stokes was a poor shot
  • kingstongraham
    Honours even now, I'd say.
  • JimD666
    Think the Aussies have their nose very slightly in front, mainly due to it being a flat wicket.

In other news: England Women are battering Australia Women A, which isn't that surprising. The fact that England Women A are battering Australia Women is.