Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Harry182 said:

My point is that the speculation/debate regarding whether Ineos will or won't select Froome is moot as I reckon they've already guaranteed him a ride.

I agree. It's most likely in his contract. If he's really not up to speed I imagine he will withdraw and target the Giro or Vuelta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Didn't brailsford all but confirm that he'll be riding the TDF when they announced the contract non-renewal?
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    RichN95. said:

Harry182 said:

My point is that the speculation/debate regarding whether Ineos will or won't select Froome is moot as I reckon they've already guaranteed him a ride.

I agree. It's most likely in his contract. If he's really not up to speed I imagine he will withdraw and target the Giro or Vuelta.
    That’s a good shout, I can’t imagine he’ll go unless he feels 100% or at least be able to compete at the highest level. Giro and Vuelta would give more training time.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    I reckon there is something in Froomes contract about riding the tour. I think that's why he didn't transfer mid season.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    That sounds right (and familiar.)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    edited July 2020

I reckon there is something in Froomes contract about riding the tour. I think that's why he didn't transfer mid season.

I think he took one look at ISUN's current roster and realised any hopes of winning the Tour were fanciful.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    You don't think he wouldn't still have gone if Ineos wouldn't give him a ride at the Tour? Surely better to ride effectively solo than not at all.

Like I said I reckon his contract has something about riding the tour in it. This would have supported a mid season transfer as well since if Ineos had said he wasn't riding it, that would have made it easier for him to leave.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,569
    Or maybe he's just fit and they want him in the team, because he's the best gc rider in world by a country mile.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,563
    I mean, they can see his numbers...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,020
    I'm not convinced more training time for the Giro/Vuelta would help - he's already had a lot of training time and if it were just a question of form he's still got a month to find it.

If his numbers are down then it seems likely to be something more deep seated - whether that is just his age, a physical problem from the crash or even something psychological if perhaps he feels unhappy in the team or he's lost his hunger to really push his limits - that is not going to be fixed by waiting for the Giro. I know these days it is said you don't need to race to prepare for a race but perhaps Froome has missed so much that top level racing is what he needs to get race fit. I'm trying to think if riders coming off long bans have come straight back on top form - the likes of Valverde ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Didn't contador win the vuelta on his return from his ban?

Regarding the comments yesterday on froome, I took them more as a motivational tactic from the TD than anything. He basically confirmed froome is riding but suggested at this moment in time he wouldn't win. He still has a month and the 3 weeks to train and to peak and I still think he will turn up stronger and far more competitive than possibly expected - although don't expect any amazing form or results in the races before the tour, he will only be focused on getting ready for that.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,504
    redvision said:

Didn't contador win the vuelta on his return from his ban?

Yes, but he probably wasn't the best rider on numbers alone.
  • RichN95.

I mean, they can see his numbers...

I don't know if Jeppesen will though. He's the logistics guy, not a coach or DS.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    This is so unlike Team Sky's usual mantra that I'm starting to think it's a deliberate move to throw people off. Usually its' "The road will decide" but now it's changed. Seems fishy to me
  • robnewcastle
    I’m still interested to see how he gets on on August 3rd with Port de Bales and summit finish
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

I’m still interested to see how he gets on on August 3rd with Port de Bales and summit finish

Don't expect to see him do well. He won't be competing for the win, just as another step in his prep for the tour - he won't be aiming to peak until the 3rd week of the tour.

That said, i did hear an interesting question yesterday which could make the racing full on from day one - given the circumstances, what happens if the Tour is cut short? If there is an outbreak of the virus it's already been confirmed the race will stop, but will whoever is in yellow at the time be classed as the winner? Or would the race be null and void?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,947

Stage 7 on the 4th September and is not a summit finish goes over the Port de Bales?
    I hope they've fixed the drain pothole at the bottom of the Peyresourde descent. 😱

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robnewcastle
    redvision said:

Don't expect to see him do well. He won't be competing for the win, just as another step in his prep for the tour - he won't be aiming to peak until the 3rd week of the tour.

That said, i did hear an interesting question yesterday which could make the racing full on from day one - given the circumstances, what happens if the Tour is cut short? If there is an outbreak of the virus it's already been confirmed the race will stop, but will whoever is in yellow at the time be classed as the winner? Or would the race be null and void?
    Completely aware he’ll be aiming to peak tour 3rd week but I guess it’s more to see how much he struggles really. Still be interesting to see. He’s probably better than anyone at knowing where he is and timing form.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    pblakeney said:

Stage 7 on the 4th September and is not a summit finish goes over the Port de Bales?
    I hope they've fixed the drain pothole at the bottom of the Peyresourde descent. 😱

I think August 3rd is Route d'Occitaine
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I think August 3rd is Route d'Occitaine
    Ah! The training recce? I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.
    Still hope they've sorted the pothole. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    I know it's not proper racing but he was going OK in that Ineos Zwift race up the mountain and that was two months ago, so I doubt he's going to be struggling
  • RichN95.
    Slightly connected, 'reports say' that Ineos have put in an application to the UCI to have a special light blue 'Grenadier' kit for the Tour
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    redvision said:

Peaking in the 3rd week, this year, would be folly, regardless of whether the Tour is cut short or not.
    There's a whopping big mountain on stage two and summit finishes on stages 4 and 6. The big Pyrenean stages are done and dusted by stage 9.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,020
    The other issue is do they decide team leadership before week 3. It's one thing letting the road decide and another letting Froome attack when Bernal (or Thomas) is the man leading the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. said:

Slightly connected, 'reports say' that Ineos have put in an application to the UCI to have a special light blue 'Grenadier' kit for the Tour

Now confirmed.

• RichN95.
    Welcome to Aqua Blue, Alpecin.... Grenadier

• pblakeney
    Looks kinda dark for a light blue top?
    I nearly made that mistake once with an Italian national jersey that looked nothing like the fetching promo.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    Apparently that’s not an official jersey, it’s a social media mock up
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    That sounds like a rubbish American Football college team
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.