The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

Quite frankly I've enjoyed not having a cold in 1-1/2 years, not to mention flu.
    There have been upsides in this pandemic that we should learn from. But won't.

Wear a mask and limit you contact with others to avoid flu which I have not had in my lifetime or if I did I did not particularly notice. To avoid a cold which I would be surprised if I had once every four years and let's face it I have had worse hang overs. I doubt I am unique in this history of flu or cold like illness. Good luck selling that to the majority as you will need to do more than masks to get a result. The only thing I think could be of benefit is people working from home when they have minor illness rather than spreading it round the office.
    Again, you are taking your personal experience and assume that everyone else's experience is the same. You'd 100% know if you'd had the flu so you haven't.
    If you haven't had a cold in 4 years then you are the exception, not the rule.
    I think within my forty year old age group I am pretty average and would guess not many if the 20000 flu deaths a year are from this age group. But yeah crack on.
  • john80

Possibly.

I often call out bad behaviour as I am usually (though certainly not always) not afraid of the confrontation.

Given you are shit scared of Rona I would laugh my ass of if you got covid from interacting with a non mask wearer. It would be the ultimate act of stupidity.
  • john80
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I've just had my second jab, so in a couple of weeks you can all stop wearing masks, thanks.

(If that seems like an outrageous position to take it's because it is)

Meanwhile the woman next to me in the post jab holding pen has her nose completely out of her mask.

You are going to die. There is no other possible explanation. You should have got in a face to face shouting match to make sure of it.
    Explanation? I think you mean outcome.

Pretending I am acting as though this will kill me gives you something to argue against, but I'm not so I'm not sure who it is you think you're arguing with.

Some people have been saying that those unfortunate youths who want both jabs but haven't had them yet should take personal responsibility and avoid shops (or wherever) if they want to.

They can hardly avoid going to get the jab though. And even somewhere like that there are people so thoughtless or incompetent that they can't or won't wear one properly.

This is just one example, the premise that 18-35 yr olds should just self isolate for the next 6 weeks is as silly as it was when people suggested old people should do it in 2020. Especially now the alternative is such a small ask.

I didn't think I would have to join these dots quite so slowly for you.
    I was joking but I seem to have touched a nerve.

Weak. You weren't joking, unless every post you've made on this topic has been a joke.
    If you can't see the sarcasm of a post equating a minor mask infraction to death and a slew of prior posts arguing that people are being a bit over the top with masks then I can't help you.
    I know you don't actually think I'm going to die - but the point you were making with that 'joke' was bang on trend with the rest of the guff you've posted about masks.

You're still arguing against a point that I don't really think anyone is making. On an individual level any given interaction with a maskless person is very unlikely to be harmful, yes. On a population wide level, remove restrictions and some of these interactions will result in infections... obviously.

Anyway it's been spelled out for you plenty of times now. At least DV had the honesty to say he just didn't want to wear one, rather than pretending he was doing some rainman-esque risk calculations every time he did anything. If the population as a whole was capable of working out their risk effectively, there would be no pandemic.
    The population have worked out their risk and are acting accordingly throughout. Just because their risk level is different to most on this forum does not make them wrong. It might be late for you to realise that a good percentage of the population saw that we were no New Zealand and the death rate was acceptable to them regardless of how many cake stoppers wanted to get annoyed with them. How many people has Nicola sturgeon saved with holding onto restrictions longer and doing things a couple of days earlier it of a cobra meeting? How many have Ireland saved by being a bit stricter throughout?
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    john80 said:

Possibly.

I often call out bad behaviour as I am usually (though certainly not always) not afraid of the confrontation.

Given you are censored scared of Rona I would laugh my censored of if you got covid from interacting with a non mask wearer. It would be the ultimate act of stupidity.
    That’s a very unpleasant sentiment. You’re clearly angry about something - want to share?
  • john80

john80 said:

Possibly.

Given you are censored scared of Rona I would laugh my censored of if you got covid from interacting with a non mask wearer. It would be the ultimate act of stupidity.
    That’s a very unpleasant sentiment. You’re clearly angry about something - want to share?
    It is about as funny as an antivaxer dying of covid if I am being honest. It is RC that openly admits he is not shy of a bit of confrontation. On this occasion I am not the angry one as i would certainly not be confronting a member of the public about not wearing a mask.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Possibly.

It is about as funny as an antivaxer dying of covid if I am being honest. It is RC that openly admits he is not shy of a bit of confrontation. On this occasion I am not the angry one as i would certainly not be confronting a member of the public about not wearing a mask.
    Someone dying (of any persuasion) is not funny. You sound like a bit of a prong.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    john80 said:

Possibly.

How delightful.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

I've just had my second jab, so in a couple of weeks you can all stop wearing masks, thanks.

Meanwhile the woman next to me in the post jab holding pen has her nose completely out of her mask.

You are going to die. There is no other possible explanation. You should have got in a face to face shouting match to make sure of it.

Pretending I am acting as though this will kill me gives you something to argue against, but I'm not so I'm not sure who it is you think you're arguing with.

Some people have been saying that those unfortunate youths who want both jabs but haven't had them yet should take personal responsibility and avoid shops (or wherever) if they want to.

They can hardly avoid going to get the jab though. And even somewhere like that there are people so thoughtless or incompetent that they can't or won't wear one properly.

This is just one example, the premise that 18-35 yr olds should just self isolate for the next 6 weeks is as silly as it was when people suggested old people should do it in 2020. Especially now the alternative is such a small ask.

Weak. You weren't joking, unless every post you've made on this topic has been a joke.
    If you can't see the sarcasm of a post equating a minor mask infraction to death and a slew of prior posts arguing that people are being a bit over the top with masks then I can't help you.
    I know you don't actually think I'm going to die - but the point you were making with that 'joke' was bang on trend with the rest of the guff you've posted about masks.

You're still arguing against a point that I don't really think anyone is making. On an individual level any given interaction with a maskless person is very unlikely to be harmful, yes. On a population wide level, remove restrictions and some of these interactions will result in infections... obviously.

Anyway it's been spelled out for you plenty of times now. At least DV had the honesty to say he just didn't want to wear one, rather than pretending he was doing some rainman-esque risk calculations every time he did anything. If the population as a whole was capable of working out their risk effectively, there would be no pandemic.
    The population have worked out their risk and are acting accordingly throughout. Just because their risk level is different to most on this forum does not make them wrong. It might be late for you to realise that a good percentage of the population saw that we were no New Zealand and the death rate was acceptable to them regardless of how many cake stoppers wanted to get annoyed with them. How many people has Nicola sturgeon saved with holding onto restrictions longer and doing things a couple of days earlier it of a cobra meeting? How many have Ireland saved by being a bit stricter throughout?
    The last question is a good one so I looked it up and I reckon we would have saved 60,000 lives if we had done the same as Ireland.

UK = 1,900 Covid deaths per million
    RoI = 1,000 Covid deaths per million
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

The population were left to work out the risk themselves at Christmas John and we saw how that went.

I don't think I've seen a single person on here say they think Sturgeon is doing a good job, odd example there.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • john80
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

The population were left to work out the risk themselves at Christmas John and we saw how that went.

I don't think I've seen a single person on here say they think Sturgeon is doing a good job, odd example there.
    Maybe they were happy with their choices. The government can't control everything can it.
  • pangolin
    So you think the public are happy with that January spike in deaths. That they collectively weighed the risks carefully and thought yes, we're happy with those deaths as long as we can have Christmas dinner with aunt Susan.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited July 2021
    Weird the news today about clamping down on people not wearing seatbelts because it might contribute to a couple of hundred deaths a year.
  • pangolin
    john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

Maybe they were happy with their choices. The government can't control everything can it.
    The government were in control. It was their decision to remove restrictions. What are you on about?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    john80 said:

Possibly.

The problem with the no mask bellends is normal behaviour would be to call them out, but then speaking to people, especially without a mask, is even worse for rona transmission, so how you gonna call them out?

So they walk around in ignorance of their p!sspoor behaviour.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Why are none of the news articles, regarding the seventh day drop in infection rates, asking if school holidays are a driver?

Seems obvious to me, but I'm no epidemiologist.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pangolin
    Ben6899 said:

Why are none of the news articles, regarding the seventh day drop in infection rates, asking if school holidays are a driver?

Isn't it a bit soon for many? Lots broke up on 23rd didn't they?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    pangolin said:

So you think the public are happy with that January spike in deaths. That they collectively weighed the risks carefully and thought yes, we're happy with those deaths as long as we can have Christmas dinner with aunt Susan.

I'm sure everyone loved the months of lockdown and homeschooling that followed Christmas lunch with Auntie Susan.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Weird the news today about clamping down on people not wearing seatbelts because it might contribute to a couple of hundred deaths a year.

Chest nappies.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

I think a fair few parents took their kids out early. If your holiday childcare is vulnerable oldies, it makes sense to keep them away from the petri dish.
  • pangolin
    Jezyboy said:

pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

I think a fair few parents took their kids out early. If your holiday childcare is vulnerable oldies, it makes sense to keep them away from the petri dish.
    That's true. A lot were probably isolating as a result of someone else at school having it too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Ben6899 said:

That was the reason for the drop in swine flu cases. Does mean another peak in September /October though.
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 said:

I think it's reckoned to be more likely the absence of a football tournament at the moment. There has been a big drop in the number of tests, though, so all a bit unclear.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    morstar said:

Chest nappies.

Chestitty belts
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    rjsterry said:

Ben6899 said:

I think it's reckoned to be more likely the absence of a football tournament at the moment. There has been a big drop in the number of tests, though, so all a bit unclear.
    We're struggling to get a PCR test
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Chest nappies.

Chestitty belts
    Quality!
  • Ben6899
    pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

Test results are immediate though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

But symptoms take a week or so to develop in order to prompt those tests.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    rjsterry said:

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

I thought kids were being asked to test regularly, regardless of symptoms? Blissfully child-free here, so probably wrong!
    Ben

• rjsterry
    Ben6899 said:

rjsterry said:

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Ben6899 said:

I thought kids were being asked to test regularly, regardless of symptoms? Blissfully child-free here, so probably wrong!
    Ah, thought you were talking about PCR testing. That's LF tests twice a week. Same for businesses. 🤨. I had assumed that the test data was PCR only.
    Pinnacle Monzonite