Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900

Cheltenham's on tomorrow. That's a couple of hundred thousand people over the event relaxed and rubbing shoulders. Personally looking at Italy and how stretched their hospitals are currently, it seems to be going against the UK's summer delay tactic.

I can't believe it's been a year already.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Christ

I was at the Stereophonics a year ago yesterday. It felt a bit weird at the time and it feels really super weird in hindsight - I can't believe we even went
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2021

Christ

I was at the Stereophonics a year ago yesterday. It felt a bit weird at the time and it feels really super weird in hindsight - I can't believe we even went

I went to Cheltenham. One of the guys I went with caught it. We all agree we wouldn't have gone if we knew what we know now. I also work next to where the Stereophonics gig was.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I met my girlfriend on 13th march last year. Good job we didn't delay that first date since Boris told us not to go to the pub a couple of days later
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited March 2021
    Amazing how far out of your league you can pull in an Emergency cuffing season eh?

(Yes, I'm just jealous)

Yesterday was A year to the day to me sitting down to tea, thinking "hmmm, this doesn't taste of much" and by the time I'd finished the washing up, crawling shivering into a sleeping bag and then into bed. The resort shut down the next day.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95. said:

Christ

I went to Cheltenham. One of the guys I went with caught it. We all agree we wouldn't have gone if we knew what we know now. I also work next to where the Stereophonics gig was.
    I was at the Manchester one the night before. I think a few people didn't show. I had my parents visiting, we had been supposed to go to the rugby Sunday and to the velodrome I think Saturday, but they both got cancelled.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Sons first birthday (second birthday next month) and daughter born in lockdown. It's almost all they've ever known.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    RichN95. said:

Christ

Working for a company with a Gloucestershire office we always do the festival as a marketing thing. We did the whole week as usual last year but had quite a few guests bale on us. I didn't go as I wasn't risking the trains crammed with drinks.
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

Working for a company with a Gloucestershire office we always do the festival as a marketing thing. We did the whole week as usual last year but had quite a few guests bale on us. I didn't go as I wasn't risking the trains crammed with drinks.

Yeah, we hire a minibus and a driver. The train's a nightmare
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Yeah, we hire a minibus and a driver. The train's a nightmare
    We have transport from the office but that doesn't help me. A load of pissed up race going Valley boys makes for a potentially unpleasant journey at the best of times let alone when they may been carrying a virus.
  • RichN95.
    Jose Been on twitter: Eight athletes in the Dutch team at the European Indoor Athletics Championships have tested positive

Cycling twitter: This shows there are doping rings everywhere. Pro sport is a cess pit

Jose: No, I meant positive for Covid.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Bodes well for the Olympics then.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    So, the Dutch can't even win the Covid gold medal at the European Indoor champs.
    Key word in their for me is "indoor". That and the fact that Covid is running wild in Poland.

Still, since it's the British involved again, I await the theory that PEDs lower the body's immune system response to the virus.....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    I watched some of the Indoor Athletics and they had a camera in the call room where the athletes wait before coming onto the track. It was not exactly "Covid safe", a small room with lots of athletes crammed into it (particularly for the relays where there would have been 24 athletes for each race)
  • gsk82
    r0bh said:

I watched some of the Indoor Athletics and they had a camera in the call room where the athletes wait before coming onto the track. It was not exactly "Covid safe", a small room with lots of athletes crammed into it (particularly for the relays where there would have been 24 athletes for each race)

I suspect all the shagging may have contributed too.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    gweeds said:

Bodes well for the Olympics then.

Olympics ain't happening.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    gsk82 said:

r0bh said:

I suspect all the shagging may have contributed too.
    Indeed - a whole new meaning to 4x4 team
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Olympics only for those who have had a needle in the arm. Like the old days.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    No international spectators allowed for the Olympics or ParaOlympics. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/56461152

Still can't see it going ahead, and not sure if I was an athlete I would want to attend anyway TBH
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021
    JimD666 said:

No international spectators allowed for the Olympics or ParaOlympics. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/56461152

Still can't see it going ahead, and not sure if I was an athlete I would want to attend anyway TBH

As I understand it, they had put forward the idea of the 2020 Olympics becoming the 2024 Olympics, and Paris getting bumped back. Apparently it was turned down.
    FWIW, If Tokyo is cancelled, I think the Olympics may limp on for the next couple of editions, with the awarded host cities.
    After that, I can't see anybody being prepared to gamble the sums of money involved.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    What’s the view on PR? Northern France is in lockdown again
  • blazing_saddles

Been given the green light to go ahead under lockdown rules. (i.e. no crowds)
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2021

Been given the green light to go ahead under lockdown rules. (i.e. no crowds)

The rugby really needs to be conceded by France though. All that 'hugging' in the scrum. It's a super spreader event. Just give Wales a three point win for their effort in going to Paris and everyone's happy.
  • gsk82

JimD666 said:

As I understand it, they had put forward the idea of the 2020 Olympics becoming the 2024 Olympics, and Paris getting bumped back. Apparently it was turned down.
    FWIW, If Tokyo is cancelled, I think the Olympics may limp on for the next couple of editions, with the awarded host cities.
    After that, I can't see anybody being prepared to gamble the sums of money involved.
    The Olympics had become silly. London spent over £9 billion in it. How is that in any way logical? What do you get for that much money other than a few under-used venues and some nice memories. I think it will be massively scaled back over the next few editions.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,900
    gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

The Olympics had become silly. London spent over £9 billion in it. How is that in any way logical? What do you get for that much money other than a few under-used venues and some nice memories. I think it will be massively scaled back over the next few editions.
    That's cheap, Covid has cost our Country around £400,000,000,000 so far!
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

For London you get a load of brownfield site redeveloped into housing, schools etc. I'd say the Olympics were the trigger for a good redevelopment scheme in a rundown area.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Pross said:

gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

For London you get a load of brownfield site redeveloped into housing, schools etc. I'd say the Olympics were the trigger for a good redevelopment scheme in a rundown area.
    The A31 got a very fancy rounabout on the edge of Wimborne!
    Seriously though, it did trigger some good urban regeneration, and in Portland the renovation of the old naval station.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

The IOC is obscene. The demands on prospective hosts before and after awarding them the games means that unless something is done Paris will be the last Games held somewhere other than China/Oil states.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

I know quite a few people who live in the former Olympic village. One of my best mates from school lives in a flat that was used by I think he said a field team from an African country. I tend to get out there whenever I am down in London as he's now got 2 kids as well (and a few nights out in Hackney Wick). A member of my extended family also works in the Olympic Stadium - although I am not sure anything about that West Ham ground is particularly great. The swimming centre is pretty well used from what I could see the one time I went, no idea about the velodrome but the outdoor track there seems to be about as well used as anywhere else.

It's definitely had a lasting effect - and I don't know enough about the accounting (i.e., what private investment went into those flats) but £9b for that redevelopment doesn't sound like terrible value. It's a really big development that has contributed a lot of accommodation within reach of central London that while still eye wateringly expensive to my eyes is more affordable than a lot of what is in London (and a lot of the flats were sold on a part ownership scheme).