Whinges about the new forum

12345679»

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    daniel_b said:

I'll come back periodically to see if anyone is still here and or things have improved.

Remember to bring a torch with you in case someone has turned the lights off.

Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Longshot said:

Do you mean this one?

I wouldn't mind if they formatted the ad/forum properly. It's really, really awful.

If that's what I saw I would be long gone. The acres of white space I get simply by crossing my fingers (that's a lie) are bearable. I appreciate that advertising is almost a must but that is over the top.
  • navrig2

This is starkly bearable.
  • navrig2
    Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

kingrollo said:

sniper68 said:

Oli-admin seems to have thrown the towel in.Not posted for days.
    MTBR/RBR are my go to Fora now.Cyclechat and Cycling UK are OK too.All four of them are a much more user friendly format.
    Bike radar is dead I'm afarid.

Yep - Sad but true. You can't expect people to use it in its current format.
    Time to move on.
    Let's hope the admin folks are reading this.

In the meantime I'm going to check out some of those other forums.
    Cycle UK looks right up your street - it has all your favourite threads and some new targets to educate :)
    Thans for the tip LS. (Heads off to look at cycling UK)
    I quite like it in a pipe and slippers sort of way......
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577

.......Anyone home........?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    navrig2 said:

Longshot said:

Do you mean this one?

I wouldn't mind if they formatted the ad/forum properly. It's really, really awful.

If that's what I saw I would be long gone. The acres of white space I get simply by crossing my fingers (that's a lie) are bearable. I appreciate that advertising is almost a must but that is over the top.
    In all fairness, I don't see that any more. Whether it's been removed or whether it's been blocked by the Chrome Add in I've installed I'm not sure.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    daft thing is - if adverts were less intrusive, fewer of us would be actively blocking them ...
    It's because they take up so much screen, move and quite often have sound*, that we block them

*not necessarily this site - all adverts are blocked on our works computers - due to the intrusion ...
  • navrig2
    Longshot said:

navrig2 said:

Longshot said:

Do you mean this one?

In all fairness, I don't see that any more. Whether it's been removed or whether it's been blocked by the Chrome Add in I've installed I'm not sure.
    Pretty certain it will be that add-in. Mine has been installed for a couple of years (primarily driven by the old Bike Radar forum when the ads went ballistic a couple of years ago) and I have not seen any ads in the new layout.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    The videos in the bottom right seem to have stopped though - I've not changed anything in firefox.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    oli_admin said:

daniel_b said:

The videos in the bottom right seem to have stopped though - I've not changed anything in firefox.

The autoplay video was being trialled. The trial period is now over. :)
    The thing that developers and forum hosters should appreciate is that NSFW does not just apply to naked or near naked woman. Having a background video advert suddenly burst into song in the middle of work is not clever. These days people operate/work different shift patterns and whilst someone may take a formal break at 1100 the person next door may still be working......
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited January 2020
    I see the site is still allowing 1-post spammers to register and post, when a simple moderation queue would prevent it.

It's completely baffling why repeated requests for such a simple measure have not been implemented.
  • oli_admin said:

daniel_b said:

The autoplay video was being trialled. The trial period is now over. :)
    Please say the trial will not be rolled into a full implementation. That was even worse than the huge background ads.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

sniper68 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

kingrollo said:

sniper68 said:

Oli-admin seems to have thrown the towel in.Not posted for days.
    MTBR/RBR are my go to Fora now.Cyclechat and Cycling UK are OK too.All four of them are a much more user friendly format.
    Bike radar is dead I'm afarid.

Yep - Sad but true. You can't expect people to use it in its current format.
    Time to move on.
    Let's hope the admin folks are reading this.

In the meantime I'm going to check out some of those other forums.
    Cycle UK looks right up your street - it has all your favourite threads and some new targets to educate :)
    Thans for the tip LS. (Heads off to look at cycling UK)
    Cycling UK.....even I keep getting posts deleted and threatened with a ban on there!!!
    VERY strange moderation.
    I'm not too worried about that. A few years ago we had to put up with some pretty poor and oppressive moderating on here.
    It's fine now I'm not a mod :D
    I think you know who I was referring to ;)
    Indeed, but from my perspective not doing anything is great.
    The most active mod stopped posting as soon as he lost his banstick, he wasn’t the most vocal one.
    I know who you mean. Glad he's not in a position of power over us any more: the point that he disappeared as soon as he lost his magic powers tell us a lot about what made him tick.
    Velonutter? Proper helmet, if so..

How did you guess...?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stevo_666 said:

How did you guess...?

He threatened me several times, in very long, rambling PMs. They were mostly all about him.

• navrig2
    There has been one post in Rod Bike / General in 36 hours.

Looks dead.

Have the usage stats dropped since the new format?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    navrig2 said:

There has been one post in Rod Bike / General in 36 hours.

Looks dead.

Have the usage stats dropped since the new format?

This is the first email notification I've had from Bikeradar in weeks so that's all the user stats I need.
    RIP BR
  • Well, it's still utterly awful. Between this outdated and badly implemented forum software and what looks like no racing to chat about on the spoiler threads for the foreseeable future this place is pretty much useless for me now.

Such a shame.

Mods/Bikeradar - what on earth were you thinking? You had a chance to bring this place up to date, add new and useful features and utterly blew it.
  • navrig2
    My Facebook feed has gone bananas since the stay at home. On that basis alone I would expect this forum to be busy with some good chat and some cracking fights or arguments.

• sniper68
    navrig2 said:

My Facebook feed has gone bananas since the stay at home. On that basis alone I would expect this forum to be busy with some good chat and some cracking fights or arguments.

I think it's past saving now.
    Looks like the admin team have given up the ghost and just hope everyone will "get used to it".Fact is it's shite but they don't want to know.
  • sniper68
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm not too worried about that. A few years ago we had to put up with some pretty poor and oppressive moderating on here.

I've been permanently banned from the CTC Forum(at least they think have :p ) reason?
    "Moderator fatigue-too much work" :#
    The very same mod locked a Covid-19 thread....for this....and i quote:-

I locked the thread.
    On 29 & 30 March, something like 20 posts were removed due to insults & sniping including such gems, as 'what utter codswallop', 'that's really pathetic', etc.
    If people will argue reasonably, I have no objection to this thread. But I don't have much time for moderating at the moment, so I'm afraid I have to take the easy way out, at least on non-cycling related stuff.

Wow just wow.
    I'm only there to amuse myself with the self-righteous bunch :D

• navrig2
    This place is terminally ill. If it cannot thrive when a large proportion of the country are confined to home there is little hope for when things return to normal.

I was just about to post something on a thread in Road Beginners, which under the old format would have been half way down the first page, when I realised the last post was November 2019. I didn't bother and I won't bother anymore.

It's like sitting in a bar when you are working away on business. It's ok for the first pint but eventually even working late in the evening in the hotel bedroom is more appealing!
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I appreciate sometimes things have to update for whatever reason but are there any settings I can change to make it look more similar to the previous layout? I used the forums fairly often for about 10 years but I find it so much less user friendly since the update that I barely visit anymore.
  • prhymeate said:

I appreciate sometimes things have to update for whatever reason but are there any settings I can change to make it look more similar to the previous layout? I used the forums fairly often for about 10 years but I find it so much less user friendly since the update that I barely visit anymore.

The answer is no. For reasons best known to themselves Bikeradar have killed the forum.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Apart from the general OMG it's awful WTF were you thinking why reinvent the wheel etc that people have presumably already done to death - although it is appalling - you do know that your new image tags don't work with OneDrive, right? So anyone trying to avoid a future repetition of the Photobucket shekeleering catastrophe has a bit of problem, no? Just wasted considerable time putting a post together to find that none of the images work. Don't try to be too clever. Oh. Too late.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Ah, but it works if you use actual HTML. Obvs.

No, not obvs.
  • navrig2
    What a fecking dreadful forum!!

I made a post with quotes. Posted it and then looked back at it and relised I ciuld have done with adding some additional spaces to edited the content and saved.

Either I have deleted my post (I DIDN'T) or it has been send to the mods for approval.

FFS. Please lets have some sense.