Whinges about the new forum

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Adverts in between group topics? Really? Come on!! On mobile this will be horrific, as are most bike radar articles, I can honestly say I have quit more articles than I have read because of too many pop ads.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315

I'll start with the fact that it may be designed to look better on mobile, but when I log in (I hope it gets easier with practice, certainly looking very clunky so far) and go to recent "discussions", I can only see about 6 or 7 threads.

On a large 1080p monitor with Chrome font set to small.

By all means optimise mobile site for mobiles, but this is a big retrogade step for anyone with a screen bigger than 5".

Oh and blow me down! We've replaced nice simple BBcode with actual HTML. Errr, great.

Horrible experience on desktop. This format is the one reason I don't read road.cc forum and singletrack forum. I'll simply add this to the list.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Absolutely terrible layout.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Email notifications for topic replies are coming from a Paul Thorpe at Immediate. I'm sure he's a lovely fellow, but can they come through as from the forum etc as they use to?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds said:

Email notifications for topic replies are coming from a Paul Thorpe at Immediate. I'm sure he's a lovely fellow, but can they come through as from the forum etc as they use to?

Paul is a lovely bloke - we'll let him know :) - and will also get him to change the email address for notifications.
  • sniper68
    Wow.
    It’s even worse on my phone.
  • paulmon said:

I'll start with the fact that it may be designed to look better on mobile, but when I log in (I hope it gets easier with practice, certainly looking very clunky so far) and go to recent "discussions", I can only see about 6 or 7 threads.

On a large 1080p monitor with Chrome font set to small.

By all means optimise mobile site for mobiles, but this is a big retrogade step for anyone with a screen bigger than 5".

Oh and blow me down! We've replaced nice simple BBcode with actual HTML. Errr, great.

Horrible experience on desktop. This format is the one reason I don't read road.cc forum and singletrack forum. I'll simply add this to the list.
    Bear with us while we get to grips with the new forum - your feedback is appreciated.
  • How can I change my e-mail address?
    I've had a lot of trouble getting in and have finished up with an historical address that I never use. I'd like to change this to my normal one, but can't find a button.
    I've had a lot of trouble getting in and have finished up with an historical address that I never use. I'd like to change this to my normal one, but can't find a button.

@mickledore.fy

Click the BikeRadar logo at the top of the page (this will take you to the site homepage), then 'My account' in the top-right corner.

Then click 'Settings' followed by 'Personal details'. Change your email address here and click 'Save changes'.

@mickledore.fy

Click the BikeRadar logo at the top of the page (this will take you to the site homepage), then 'My account' in the top-right corner.

Then click 'Settings' followed by 'Personal details'. Change your email address here and click 'Save changes'.
    Thanks. Tried that. But, as discussed via e-mail, the address I want to use is shown as taken, but I am not allowed to log on via that. Seems to be hanging somewhere in cyberspace!!!
    Suppose I'll just have to put up with what I have.
    Thanks anyway.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Sorry lads but it’s really horrible. It’s ‘shouty’ full of white spaces and the ads are too prominent.

Shame, it was a great forum.
  • Don't mind the ads - someone's got to pay for the thing. And reading the thread is better on mobile than it was. Worse on desktop than it was though. It feels optimised for portrait with the space to the side filled up at the top of the screen rather than the content flexing to the screen shape.
  • I remember the old "Procycling" magazine forum was better than this.

*It wasn't
  • What forum software is it now?
  • It seems to be one of the most fundamental laws of the universe that a perfectly good forum, using perfectly good software, that everyone was perfectly happy with, shall be replaced arbitrarily with something that is worse in every way. It's happened on about four forums I subscribe to so far, over the last few years. All that happens is that I use those forums less.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I don't like the way the new categories (or lack of) work, all posts are dumped into one big feed on the home page and navigating to the section you want to see isn't as easy as it used to be,

unless i'm missing something?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • feltf70
    feltf70 Posts: 20
    edited October 2019
    My display name had changed from "Daniel B" to "feltf70". My original username was "Daniel B" but the new forum does not allow spaces.
    I go by Dan anyway, so was pleased when it saved it as "Dan" , but posts are still coming up as "feltf70" so a tad confused.

Also 'Your posts' and 'New posts' were my staple choices, so would love to see those return.
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    edited October 2019
    It would appear the forum allows me to have a ridiculously long signature of whitespace.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    tashman said:

How can I now view the posts i was involved in? I don't want to go through every post to see if there's new activity on those threads. I used this as my default page previously

This, 100% this, I always would hit this page first ('Your Posts'), then 'New Posts', then usually I would go do some work and stop pissing about on the internet :smiley:

But yeah, I have to add, I don't like the new layout, too much wasted space on desktop and looking at it on my phone earlier was such a car crash that I gave up trying....
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Ruined......
  • wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    edited October 2019
    wobblebob said:

The old forum landing page showed all the categories and then the sub-sub forums. So from forum.bikeradar.com I could click directly on road buying advice or workshop. Now I need to click road first, then buying advice or workshop etc.

Further to this, I am now on my mobile and now have to scroll down past 30 threads (and 2 adverts) in recent discussions then 2 clicks to get to the categories
  • Quite a major security issue here in that I seem to be signed in as the wrong user - I have access to their personal inbox, post history, the lot.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    I don't like it. Too much white, not much seems to fit on the screen and it seems to take two clicks to get to the last page of a multipage thread. Can see it killing the forum if it isn't fixed.

What was wrong with the old one?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    And like some others, my username has changed. Can I have Stevo 666 back? It's better than stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Also it is possible to only have one email showing there’s a reply in a thread until you visit said thread again. I’m getting one for each reply regardless and it’s a bit spammy.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Notifications... so I go to check this out, and discover "Notify me when people write on my wall"
    WTAF? I already subscribe to a Well Known Social Media Service that is ostensibly free but makes money by advertising. I don't need another one.
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    Poor experience trying to browse the categories I used to jump between . Previously i could drop to forum home and select any sub forum.

And the adverts between forum topics, intrusive...

Also the floating cookies button. How do I get rid of that?
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Something of a work around would be to put the categories menu ABOVE the random thread list . But the original grid view landing page was better
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sniper68
    Been trying this on my phone for a couple of hours and it’s just shite.Totally unusable.
    Too many ads.Too white.Menu all over the place.
    If it stays like this I won’t be bothering.