Whinges about the new forum

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited November 2019
    The people who have signed off this change clearly have no experience of UI or UX. In a heartbeat it is easy to see where this new engine falls down. You'll see traffic dropping off I would think. I suppose you'll only really be looking at revenue though.

I can see a lot of people moving to Weightweenies as the ability to read and surf this forum has now been strangled.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    The layout is rather like sitting inside an empty fridge.
    Then you scrawl some stuff with a black marker pen.

Though they have given me an extra 1600+ posts. I'm quite proud of the bollox I spout and this is an insult.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Is there a button to edit/delete a post? I couldn't see one...

You can edit by clicking on the cog in the top-right corner of your post, but there's no option to delete.

Edit the post using ... ?
    Scroll to whichever post you want to edit and it will have the cog thingy. Option is Edit. Select. Your post comes up as available to be edited. Click Save Post to finish. Simples?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This site has ended up like hand dryers in toilets, did a human test the position of this, my hands are at face level and water is in my eyes.

It dosn't scan like the old site, so it takes far too much time to gather what posts you want to go to. Plus it's fugly.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421
    Remember this thing of beauty? :'(

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    To add to the insult all the reviews have gone all this without an explanation.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • How do I stop emails about topics that I'm watching?

I have to say, I'm normally somebody who is pro-change, but this is hideous. It's totally counter-intuitive in how you navigate, hideous on the mobile and pretty much unreadable on the desktop.

I'm not a big user of the forums, but this layout doesn't encourage browsing at all.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    wheres the new posts function. to be honest tis new forum is not easy to navigate and hassle means /i will not bother to go through it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421

wheres the new posts function.....

There are no new posts anymore. Everyone has left the building :'(

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619

wheres the new posts function. to be honest tis new forum is not easy to navigate and hassle means /i will not bother to go through it.

It's called "recent discussions" -scroll down for about 10 minutes through acres of white and you may find it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Can someone set up a poll with two choices:

Remain (on the current forum)

Leave (and go back to the old one)
  • Remember this thing of beauty? :'(

Don't taunt me with my missing "new posts" link.
  • It fills the screen better on a phone, but it's still untidy. The way the post goes onto a new line...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    scroll down to the bottom of the page and 'complaints' are 5th from the left.
    At least they made that bit easy for us.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,528

Remember this thing of beauty? :'(

Don't taunt us like that, it's cruel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Well I'm a big fan already. Embedded tweets, embedded videos, picture uploads without the need for a host. Maybe other stuff I haven't dicovered yet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    RichN95. said:

Well I'm a big fan already. Embedded tweets, embedded videos, picture uploads without the need for a host. Maybe other stuff I haven't dicovered yet.

Which sums up the situation perfectly. User capability improved but “usability” what’s that?

Don’t let your coders design the UI.

I wonder if the person with overall responsibility for revenue has seen the visitor data and remodelled their revenue budgets.

Let’s hope there are some better decisions made in the near future. Forum users are like regulars in their local pub, once you provide a reason for a regular to visit elsewhere it’s a real challenge to get them to return.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,528
    IMO they either need to fix this quick or else go back to the old platform. Overall activity on the forum seems to be way down on pre-changeover levels.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    How do I subscribe to a thread? Assume all previous subscriptions have been deleted, or no one is posting to them.
  • david7m said:

How do I subscribe to a thread? Assume all previous subscriptions have been deleted, or no one is posting to them.

Pretty safe to assume that nobody is posting on them
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Stevo_666 said:

IMO they either need to fix this quick or else go back to the old platform. Overall activity on the forum seems to be way down on pre-changeover levels.

I think the problem is the forum activity was mainly by a bunch of regular posters, only takes a few to post less or not at all and activity drops hugely - they aren't posting and so no one is replying, could lead to it slowly dying I fear
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2019

Stevo_666 said:

I think the problem is the forum activity was mainly by a bunch of regular posters, only takes a few to post less or not at all and activity drops hugely - they aren't posting and so no one is replying, could lead to it slowly dying I fear
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    The " your posts " tab is still missing -- the "activity" -- "posts" doesn't cut it cos it doesn't let you know if there have been any new posts -- plus it takes up too much room on the screen cos it has part or all of the last post you posted -- I'm migrating before there's a rush for the door. That cycle chat forum looks OK.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Gone
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I need to clear all the "new" posts. There used to be a button for this. There isn't now. Major gripe!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited November 2019
    Why has the Forum been moved to this new format?
    It's like stepping back to the 90s.
    Admin need to rethink...it's dead as a Dodo if this carries on.
    There's still plenty of bike forums out there with better layouts.
    Cycling UK
    Cyclechat
    YACF
    Why has BR gone for this unusable load of crap?
    We need answers!!!
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    This new format is bloody awful, it's as bad as the Singletrack forum...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited November 2019
    Reading this forum is now depressingly like marking a fourth year* class's first attempt at making a page with CSS :(

*Age 15 or so

Edit: they've broken the old smilies too :(
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    oli_admin said:

larkim said:

I need to clear all the "new" posts. There used to be a button for this. There isn't now. Major gripe!

Try the 'Mark all viewed' button that is now accessible via the cog at the top right of your screen. You can also do this at an individual category level by clicking on 'Mark Category Viewed' which is accessible via the same cog.
    Perfect, glad you switched that on.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Has a reason been given for the change to this abomination?