Whinges about the new forum

Comments

• I’ve tried to like it... but don’t.

Previous version had a far more user friendly layout and easier navigation.
  • OK, I understand that the new design means you have the opportunity to now put a small window (bottom right) every time with a video playing I open up a new thread topic. And yes, I can click the "X" to close it every single time.

Since this forum is free I try not to complain about site advertising, because that's what pays for it to be available as a resource.

However...

CHANGE THE SODDING VIDEO. For two weeks now at least all I see is that same 3 minutes about bike fit, some bloke pedalling up a hill etc etc etc. Every single time I open a new thread I get that on loop repeat.

If there is any ONE thing that might drive me away from this forum it's that. Not sure who your content manager is but have they gone on holiday and only left one media file to be used indefinitely?????????

:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    So it seems that if you edit your post twice just after the initial posting it is hidden and sent to admin for approval.

What sort of nonsense is that all about?

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited November 2019
    I've tried to give the changes some time, but I'd take the old format back in a heartbeat, it worked for on desktop pc; laptop; mobile.

There's been far less bargains posted this year due to the wekened pound thanks to Brexit, but it seems rather odd to decide to move the bargains thread out of "Commuting Chat" to "Deals And Offers" after almost ten years of the thread being started.

I don't like seeing a load of threads up the top of the default new format because they have new posts, when they would have been in sections I choose not to visit in the past, such as sale items.

I hate to write it, but it feels like the post count has dropped enormously in the last two weeks or so, it's starting to feel like it's barely worth visiting...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • search is terrible

all you get back is an unfiltered list of comments, you have to click each one to see which forum it was posted in

pretty useless really
  • Why are we being logged off almost daily now? Appears to be a site function that kicks my login on every device.?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Look and feel of new forum it's absolutely awful.

I can't imagine how this could ever be made better than that very old software we had.... that's how bad this is for me.

Good luck trying to fix it
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I only visit now to see if this page has been updated.

Does anyone think the new look and feel is an improvement, or would you go back to the classic in an instant given the choice?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I think I'd take the old forum right now.

Several days later, the previously-mentioned spam posts are still on the forum - and the whole process of 'flagging' posts seems utterly pointless as nothing appears to happen as a result.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Is it a developed forum ? - if so its very poor - cyclechat looks very basic - but is so much more usable now
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I can't find what thread I posted the whinge in before, but can we please have the old egosearch back? That would bring up all the topics you've posted in ordered by date of latest reply. It was the first page I went to and I can hardly find anything without it.
  • imposter2.0
    edited November 2019
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/profile/discussions/huihao

After nearly five days, and despite all his posts being flagged, this guy still remains a live user and all his spam is still on the forum..

It's not the software you use that makes a good forum. It's how you manage it.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Oli-admin seems to have thrown the towel in.Not posted for days.
    MTBR/RBR are my go to Fora now.Cyclechat and Cycling UK are OK too.All four of them are a much more user friendly format.
    Bike radar is dead I'm afarid.
  • joe2019
    sniper68 said:

MTBR/RBR are my go to Fora now.Cyclechat and Cycling UK are OK too.All four of them are a much more user friendly format.

Sad, but true. They should pull the plug on this pile of crap.

• seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    sniper68 said:

Yeah - I usually have this is a narrow browser window (so mobile view style), and it's really not great at all - buttons and navigation misaligned, borders and shading too light to see, stuff too big and jumbled looking with massive intrusive adverts.

I only ever used to come to Bikeradar for chat, but having had a look at cyclechat, it looks much better and nicer to use so have signed up there... kept popping back here over the last few days to see if I would just "get used to it" - I tried, but I think it's just too clunky to use. :neutral:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    seajays said:

having had a look at cyclechat, it looks much better and nicer to use

Cyclechat is like crack. Once you realise how bad it is, it's too late.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • imposter2.0
    longshot said:

seajays said:

having had a look at cyclechat, it looks much better and nicer to use

Cyclechat is like crack. Once you realise how bad it is, it's too late.

Great platform, but milemuncher is a long-standing member there, which says it all...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    Lots of feedback about the issues with the new forum but it seems nothing has changed. Are they hoping we just get used to using an inferior forum compared to the last verion and stop complaining after a while?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Stevo_666 said:

Lots of feedback about the issues with the new forum but it seems nothing has changed. Are they hoping we just get used to using an inferior forum compared to the last verion and stop complaining after a while?

That's my thoughts.
    How hard can it be to find a decent format especially as other Forums seem to be able to do it?
  • joe2019
    edited November 2019
    Maybe the new format is not so bad...

I now seem to have a lot more time to do more productive stuff, rather than wasting it on here :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    sniper68 said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's my thoughts.
    How hard can it be to find a decent format especially as other Forums seem to be able to do it?
    It's gone very quiet. I suspect my prediction above may be right but hopefully not.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,268
    edited December 2019
    The advert in the background of the whole site is enough for me - it's been fun, but now it's become quite unpleasant to look at. Will pop back in every now and then.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Do you mean this one?

I wouldn't mind if they formatted the ad/forum properly. It's really, really awful.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What advert? I can't see any advert... ;)
  • Subliminal, it is.
  • joe2019
    edited December 2019
    Looks pathetic on a large display

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    It’s pretty much killed the forum for me. Absolutely shocking.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    why has the typeface of the quoted text suddenly changed size to a bigger font ?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

awavey said:why has the typeface of the quoted text suddenly changed size to a bigger font ?

CSS fail!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Longshot said:

Do you mean this one?

I wouldn't mind if they formatted the ad/forum properly. It's really, really awful.

Is that honestly what it looks like in a browser without any add-ons? Wow.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono