Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• Munsford0 said:

orraloon said:

Also learned this conundrum:

You have 100kg of potatoes, which are 99% water by weight. You let them dehydrate until they're 98% water. How much do they weigh now?"

Answer:

50kg
    That's a mathematical potato. In the real world, potatoes are ~80% water.
    Right, can someone show me the "workings out" on this? Driving me mad!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_paradox
    Cheers! This is going to be a long argument down the pub!
    Think about how much water there would be if it was 50% water.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399

Munsford0 said:

orraloon said:

Also learned this conundrum:

You have 100kg of potatoes, which are 99% water by weight. You let them dehydrate until they're 98% water. How much do they weigh now?"

Answer:

50kg
    That's a mathematical potato. In the real world, potatoes are ~80% water.
    Right, can someone show me the "workings out" on this? Driving me mad!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_paradox
    Cheers! This is going to be a long argument down the pub!
    Think about how much water there would be if it was 50% water.
    Yes - that's a good way of looking at it.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,807
    Not sure why the teaching bit is seen as so awful. I can see that having to double as a part time social worker might feel like something that wasn't 'as advertised' and without any formal recognition (except when it goes wrong). Being able to hold the attention and respect of 30 children is something that must be difficult to learn if it doesn't come naturally.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pretty sure head teacher was one of the many jobs John80 could do better than those who actually do it so on that basis it should pay less than being an engineer.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a teacher let alone a head teacher. It was bad enough dealing with other people’s kids for an hour a week when I used to do a bit of coaching. I’d be sacked or jailed if I had to put up with them on a daily basis.

We are talking minimum for primary school here, right? Twice the average salary doesn't seem too bad.

What's minimum for secondary school? That's where it really becomes a punishing role.
    Rick was saying £40k for his friend (I assume that’s a very small primary) which isn’t twice the average. It isn’t far above the average and would be about what a mid grade person with 5-10 years experience would expect in my sector. It does beg the question why anyone would accept the job at that level of pay though, I’m pretty sure my sister was on mid £30k as a primary classroom teacher before she went part time.
    But wasn't RC wrong by about £8k plus pension?

Managing a small rural primary school probably is a fairly demanding job but pretty good gig overall I'd have thought. Preferable to burning out trying to run an inner London secondary, for maybe 50% more take home pay.
    If your partner earned a similar amount and you were out in the sticks you would be living the life of Riley.
    Meh, you shouldn’t be struggling but you’re not going to be loaded.

Consider student loan for one or both on salary over 25? 27? K.

Saving for a deposit, paying rent, high utilities. Have to run a car as no practical public transport.

Bear in mind that house prices will be high from all the second homes or covid London escapees.

The few places where housing is genuinely cheap are pretty hideous.
    In my version of the sticks a four bedroom house costs £250k
    The guy in London on the same salary is paying off student loans
    the guy in London has to save for a bigger deposit whilst paying higher rent
    Don’t disagree. But that just highlights the massive issue with London. It doesn’t make you instantly well off elsewhere though.
    But not one to argue over, 2x40K, you shouldn’t be struggling. It’s just that even if you adjust the salaries down for inflation, the difference between that now and 10 or 20 years ago is massive.
  • rjsterry said:

Not sure why the teaching bit is seen as so awful. I can see that having to double as a part time social worker might feel like something that wasn't 'as advertised' and without any formal recognition (except when it goes wrong). Being able to hold the attention and respect of 30 children is something that must be difficult to learn if it doesn't come naturally.

For my son the teaching bit is what he's naturally good at. As a Head of Department what's wearing him down is the unpaid hours in the evenings / weekends doing admin, marking, work preparation etc
  • morstar said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pretty sure head teacher was one of the many jobs John80 could do better than those who actually do it so on that basis it should pay less than being an engineer.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a teacher let alone a head teacher. It was bad enough dealing with other people’s kids for an hour a week when I used to do a bit of coaching. I’d be sacked or jailed if I had to put up with them on a daily basis.

We are talking minimum for primary school here, right? Twice the average salary doesn't seem too bad.

What's minimum for secondary school? That's where it really becomes a punishing role.
    Rick was saying £40k for his friend (I assume that’s a very small primary) which isn’t twice the average. It isn’t far above the average and would be about what a mid grade person with 5-10 years experience would expect in my sector. It does beg the question why anyone would accept the job at that level of pay though, I’m pretty sure my sister was on mid £30k as a primary classroom teacher before she went part time.
    But wasn't RC wrong by about £8k plus pension?

Managing a small rural primary school probably is a fairly demanding job but pretty good gig overall I'd have thought. Preferable to burning out trying to run an inner London secondary, for maybe 50% more take home pay.
    If your partner earned a similar amount and you were out in the sticks you would be living the life of Riley.
    Meh, you shouldn’t be struggling but you’re not going to be loaded.

Consider student loan for one or both on salary over 25? 27? K.

Saving for a deposit, paying rent, high utilities. Have to run a car as no practical public transport.

Bear in mind that house prices will be high from all the second homes or covid London escapees.

The few places where housing is genuinely cheap are pretty hideous.
    In my version of the sticks a four bedroom house costs £250k
    The guy in London on the same salary is paying off student loans
    the guy in London has to save for a bigger deposit whilst paying higher rent
    Don’t disagree. But that just highlights the massive issue with London. It doesn’t make you instantly well off elsewhere though.
    But not one to argue over, 2x40K, you shouldn’t be struggling. It’s just that even if you adjust the salaries down for inflation, the difference between that now and 10 or 20 years ago is massive.
    But two people earning £47k are taking home £72k and they get to keep their child benefit.

To take that home on a single income you would need to earn £115k and if they have two kids to compensate for CB they would need £120k.

Neither will be struggling but the couple in the sticks will be a lot better off because the mortgage costs will be a lot less.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,848
    rjsterry said:

For me it is part the experience of trying to explain fairly basic things to my younger daughter (who struggles with traditional teaching techniques) and even with my older daughter who was quite bright academically but even then I would struggle to explain something beyond 'it just is' at times. I know the whole point of teacher training is to deal with that side of things but multiplying it by 30 kids would fill me with dread. Then the other part is my experience of coaching where all it takes is one person to disrupt the whole group and you basically can't do anything to stop them dragging the whole thing down. Chuck in all the other shite that parents should be doing that people keep saying should be part of the curriculum and it would finish me. Like nursing or social care it is a vocation more than a job.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,099
    Bottom line is that if there's a high turnover and shortages, the money's not enough: if people aren't attracted/retained despite the length of school holidays and the pension, it tells you all you need to know about the renumeration versus the workload and stress involved.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,909
    Possibly needs to be fact checked but apparently...... Germany have only won one World Cup finals match since winning the final in 2014.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pblakeney said:

Possibly needs to be fact checked but apparently...... Germany have only won one World Cup finals match since winning the final in 2014.

It seems true. But, while bad, it's been 5 games really, separated by many years. Germany did reach the Semis at the Euro 2016 and beat Portugal at Euro 2020.

Regardless, it really did seem that German team had the chance to mark an era. Possibly puts into context how hard it is to win international tournaments.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2022
    drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

It seems true. But, while bad, it's been 5 games really, separated by many years. Germany did reach the Semis at the Euro 2016 and beat Portugal at Euro 2020.

Potential to be knocked out in the group stages twice on the trot. Seems unreal to those of us old enough to remember them as a dominate team.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,912
    pblakeney said:

drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

Potential to be knocked out in the group stages twice on the trot. Seems unreal to those of us old enough to remember them as a dominate team.
    Japan losing vs costs rica was a godsend. They’ll likely get through now
  • Bottom line is that if there's a high turnover and shortages, the money's not enough: if people aren't attracted/retained despite the length of school holidays and the pension, it tells you all you need to know about the renumeration versus the workload and stress involved.

Possibly one for the intrigue thread by why isn’t this the correct spelling?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,099

Bottom line is that if there's a high turnover and shortages, the money's not enough: if people aren't attracted/retained despite the length of school holidays and the pension, it tells you all you need to know about the renumeration versus the workload and stress involved.

Dang, you got me on that one... cos it's to do with money, not nomey.
  • Pross

Munerate is the Latin for to give or bestow so not anything to do with numbers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    Going back to the Unification church - remoonerisation.

I'll get my coat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross said:

Munerate is the Latin for to give or bestow so not anything to do with numbers.
    Sorry, it was my little joke and I am too old for emojis
  • Pross
    Ah, over my head sorry. I suspect it's one I've spelled incorrectly in the past though as renumeration seems far more logical.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Glad it’s not just me on the whole renum vs remun thing.

I only realised renum was incorrect about a year ago when I kept seeing the ‘wrong’ spelling in places and looked it up.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

Japan losing vs costs rica was a godsend. They’ll likely get through now
    You were saying? 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    I know right? What a mad way to get through. Beat Spain and Germany and lose to Costa Rica
  • Pross
    That Operation Market Garden was actually two sections (Operation Market being the airborne element and Garden being the ground based part).
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    edited December 2022
    In six years of cycling hundreds of miles per week just on my own I went on my first ever group ride with a bunch of friends (15 participants) on the Cheshire countryside roads. A very slow pace as the majority aren't regular cyclist and all in older age. Quite a few women. Confident and skilful cyclists, just not able to ride fast. All just wanting to be outdoor for some gentle exercise during the festive period.
    Jesus H Christ, I have never known how much hate from drivers these type of rides get. So much aggression. If they could have got away with it they would have mowed us all down.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    My wife has never heard of Eddy Merckx
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The Telegraph website has a "Culture Wars" section.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,692

The Telegraph website has a "Culture Wars" section.

Is it boomers vs millennials?
  • rick_chasey

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/ipsos-issues-index-june-2022

Alas they’re not gonna increase regular readership.
  • The Telegraph website has a "Culture Wars" section.

I'm not sure there's a lot of millennials read the Telegraph. It's a safe space for opinions you cant say any more.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,692

I'm not sure there's a lot of millennials read the Telegraph. It's a safe space for opinions you cant say any more.

So it is boomers vs millennials, with the readership being boomers and no right of reply for millennials.

One trivial thing that intrigues me is how newspapers still exist.
  • Pross

So it is boomers vs millennials, with the readership being boomers and no right of reply for millennials.

One trivial thing that intrigues me is how newspapers still exist.
    Boomers. Since they stopped Page 3 in The Sun I doubt I’ve seen anyone under the age of 50 by a newspaper.