Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,324
    Nu weet je hoe het voelt.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,966

Nu weet je hoe het voelt.

At least my next post wasn't something along the lines of, "I would have expected you all to have watched a TV show that culturally important."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,983
    edited January 2023
    Tanking a currency is nothing new. Among other things, to fund his various extravagances, Henry VIII debased his own silver coinage by adding up to 70% copper. This led to runaway inflation and eventually foreign merchants refusing to accept the coins. Plus ça change.

As the debased coins were used, the silver surface wore off and the copper showed through, particularly on the raised points of the King's head, leading to the nickname Coppernose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,117
    edited January 2023
    It is possible to burn Christmas pudding in a microwave. 🤬 A left over piece needs much less time. Yes, it was too big for one sitting. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,297
    pblakeney said:

It is possible to burn Christmas pudding in a microwave. 🤬 A left over piece needs much less time. Yes, it was too big for one sitting. 😉

Yup, discovered that a few years ago. Fortunately the one I was given this year was decidedly undercooked, and that worked brilliantly in the microwave.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,605
    edited January 2023
    I do not like the texture of Xmas pud from the microwave. I tend to heat leftover pud gently in the oven, wrapped in foil.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,983
    edited January 2023
    'Stockholm Syndrome' was invented by the psychiatrist involved in the Stockholm bank robbery after which the supposed syndrome is named, to discredit one of the hostages who criticised the general police response and his earlier involvement in the hostage situation. He had never met her or spoken to her when he made his diagnosis.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,841
    That the PIN on a Decathlon gift card, a physical version, is under that wavy lined, scratch it off patch on the back. Doh!

Messaged donor daughter 'eh any idea what is the PIN for that card you gave me?' 🤭

Ho hum, age is it? Who said typed that?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,193
    That Bjorn Borg never won the US Open. I played a Sporcle quiz where you had to name the players with the most wins in each Grand Slam event without having ever won the title (I did really badly). I didn't bother with Borg as he obviously won them all or so I thought!
  • pblakeney
    Those of you who buy coffee from high street cafes may want to read the below.
    I was astounded by the differences in caffeine levels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64472214
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    I read it and it's one of the least comprehensible articles ever written. A startbucks cappuccino has x, whereas a Costa espresso has y, etc etc.

What we need, quite honestly, is a graph. With standard deviations.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,599
    edited February 2023

I read it and it's one of the least comprehensible articles ever written. A startbucks cappuccino has x, whereas a Costa espresso has y, etc etc.

Here you go, a table. https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/caffeine-levels-in-high-street-coffees-vary-significantly-which-finds-ay7cA4G1zh1S

What are some of these places doing if the cappuccino isn't just a double espresso with milk?

Also explains why Starbucks coffee tastes like shit.
  • First.Aspect
    Mmm. But Starbucks is really close to my office.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,826

I'm not even sure it is the least comprehensible article on the BBC today. Try this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64471262
  • First.Aspect
    edited February 2023
    This is classic BBC.

Not lower means increased.

Which by extension means when I'm on cruise control my speed is increasing from some lower speed thst isn't the speed limit.

I just hope there's a wage squeeze in BBC News that can account for this sort of quality, rather than some form of nepotism leading to inbred morons getting cushy jobs.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

This is classic BBC.

Which by extension means when I'm on cruise control my speed is increasing from some lower speed thst isn't the speed limit.

I just hope there's a wage squeeze in BBC News that can account for this sort of quality, rather than some form of nepotism leading to inbred morons getting cushy jobs.

It’s being bled dry of talent.

Political meddling on top of budget pressures.

The talent is walking and being squeezed out.

The website updates very slowly. Becoming an irrelevance which is exactly what the Tories want.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    Haven't read bbc news for over a decade.

Has suffered for years from binary news reporting in the interest of "balance" rather than the truth.
  • morstar said:

This is classic BBC.

It’s being bled dry of talent.

Political meddling on top of budget pressures.

The talent is walking and being squeezed out.

The website updates very slowly. Becoming an irrelevance which is exactly what the Tories want.
    BBC.com makes it very difficult for other news websites to make money and in particular have crucified the regional players
  • TheBigBean
    I'm happy with the BBC news. The poorly researched article I posted above is an exception.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    That I can’t get my tyres off my wheel whilst stranded in a very cold blowy field….

They were tough to put on originally but I couldn’t even get my levers in underneath the tyre.

Luckily the wife was home to pick me up. I got rather cold.

Now to see if better tyre levers will help or if I need to rethink my tyre choice…
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,193

That I can’t get my tyres off my wheel whilst stranded in a very cold blowy field….

They were tough to put on originally but I couldn’t even get my levers in underneath the tyre.

Now to see if better tyre levers will help or if I need to rethink my tyre choice…

Imagine what it would have been like in a world where cars were no longer widely available!
  • pblakeney

After going through similar I learned to fit tight new tyres around 5 times in the comfort of my house. This stretches them enough that it is easier on the roadside.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

I have metal tyre levers for this reason. The main downside being it is easier to pinch the inner tube which I did recently with my last one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,605
    pblakeney said:

After going through similar I learned to fit tight new tyres around 5 times in the comfort of my house. This stretches them enough that it is easier on the roadside.
    Depends on the tyre and depends on the rim shirley?

I found Campag rims universally tight and add a tight tyre...

When I bought a complete C60 last summer, it came with Aero wide hunt wheels and Schwalbe tyres. I was in two minds whether to keep the wheels until I tried to get them off.
    I actually ended up cutting the tyres off they were so damned tight and I wondered what fun I would have if I was stuck by the roadside.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    i've heard positive things about tyre gliders, anyone with a view?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,645

i've heard positive things about tyre gliders, anyone with a view?

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13117788/tyre-glider/p1
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’ve got one it works well at the tyre back on. I’ve found it’s not great at getting them off.
    I suspect part of your problem might be you have tubeless rims and the tyres sort of seal against the rim. You’ve got to break the seal before you can get a lever underneath. You have get all the air out of the tyre then work it away from the rim side eventually it will just pop away. Then you can get your lever underneath. Unless you’ve got those park levers which would mean you have to ring for the missus.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Depends on the tyre and depends on the rim….

Yup! That’s why I said tight tyres. 😉
    No need if they’re not tight to begin with.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • That I can’t get my tyres off my wheel whilst stranded in a very cold blowy field….

it is easy to forget how bleak the fens are
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It’s about now we need somebody to pipe up that they have never needed to use a tyre lever in their life.

There must be some lying charlatan on here.

I have had some tyres that have only just gone on with tyre levers. I ran gatorskins one winter and lived in permanent fear of a puncture being ride ending.

As for removing my first mtb tyre from a tubeless rim. That was an event I had no idea was going to be a major cardio vascular and hand strength work out.