Eurosport player

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    orraloon said:

Used to have BT TV plus the sport pack. Found bar Eurosport for the pro races I only watched late stage Champions League matches, sometimes. So £19.99 for the Player per annum...

With Virgin, once I'd got the fast broadband, the few TV channels and all phone calls that I actually wanted, it came out about £10 more per month to also add an unlimited data and calls SIM card, Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema HD, BT Sports etc etc. I don't know why that's how it works.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Phew.

Giro is not on Sporza as they fell out with RCS.

At least with Rob you get 5 rides of the Century every GT 😉😉
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    orraloon said:

Used to have BT TV plus the sport pack. Found bar Eurosport for the pro races I only watched late stage Champions League matches, sometimes. So £19.99 for the Player per annum...

I watch international cricket too (england in tests, t20s or one-dayers) on Sky sports which is also included. Not too bothered about the domestic comps or IPL. I did watch a T20 blast game at Lord's a while back and that was great fun (with beer and pizza).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited April 2021

Phew.

Giro is not on Sporza as they fell out with RCS.

At least with Rob you get 5 rides of the Century every GT 😉😉

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that Brian Smith had given the game away with regards to Kirby.
    One benefit of those early season cancellations is that the Ruta del Sol now takes place during the middle of the Giro.
    Smith said Kirby is on comms for that one. He can't commentate on two races at the same time, even at the speed he talks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    What was that Game BS..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • An annual subscription for Eurosport Player is back to 50% off until 6 June 2021.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021
    Is there any real difference for live coverage (without ads) between es player and gcn+?
  • WGD
    WGD Posts: 12
    edited May 2021
    Could be a stupid question, but is there any connection between Eurosport Player and the GCN race pass or do they have to be purchased separately? The amount of co-marketing that goes on during ES coverage, you'd think the two companies were joined at the hip!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454

Is there any real difference for live coverage (without ads) between es player and gcn+?

I've not used GCN+ but from what I can tell the live coverage is the same.
  • Pross
    WGD said:

Could be a stupid question, but is there any connection between Eurosport Player and the GCN race pass or do they have to be purchased separately? The amount of co-marketing that goes on during ES coverage, you'd think the two companies were joined at the hip!

They are both owned by Discovery Communications so GCN is now like the ES cycling arm while ES covers multi-sports. Basically, if all you want is cycling then go with GCN and you will get the same / more cycling content. If you want tennis / winter sports etc. as well as cycling then ES player gives you it all.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Cool - I get ES on the TV and anywhere on Virgin TV Go, but might be worth 20 notes to not have to watch any more adverts for Pure Cremations
  • Pross

Pross said:

Cool - I get ES on the TV and anywhere on Virgin TV Go, but might be worth 20 notes to not have to watch any more adverts for Pure Cremations
    I moved to ES player last year the wife cancelled one of the Sky packs that included ES (it's part of something you wouldn't expect like entertainment). The player is far better.
  • kingstongraham
    Thanks - gone for it. The picture quality is immediately better than on the Virgin TV app.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,554

Thanks - gone for it. The picture quality is immediately better than on the Virgin TV app.

It's much much better for catch-up as well.
  • kingstongraham
    Honestly, it was the Goodyear and cremation adverts that pushed me over the edge. I was getting nostalgic for that one where the bloke brought his elephant to a party.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,671
    Only downside of the ad free on the Player is no respite from Kirby. Unless you switch to ambient sound that is.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Honestly, it was the Goodyear and cremation adverts that pushed me over the edge. I was getting nostalgic for that one where the bloke brought his elephant to a party.

The peanut one?

I was at uni with that guy. He was quite funny on the student standup scene, kinda sad he is just doing crap adverts now.
  • WGD
    WGD Posts: 12
    Pross said:

WGD said:

They are both owned by Discovery Communications so GCN is now like the ES cycling arm while ES covers multi-sports. Basically, if all you want is cycling then go with GCN and you will get the same / more cycling content. If you want tennis / winter sports etc. as well as cycling then ES player gives you it all.
    Thanks a lot for the answer - this sounds promising! My gf already has ES player for the tennis and winter sports mainly and I was hoping that there was a way that this included the GCN race pass content. It sounds like this should just be available already through the ES player. One slight wrinkle, ES player was purchased through Amazon Prime, is this likely to be a snag? Has anyone activated/accessed GCN content e.g ad-free coverage through an ES player subscription?

Thanks all for the help!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    If you have the log in name and password then simply try.
    You have nothing to lose.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    WGD said:

Pross said:

WGD said:

Thanks a lot for the answer - this sounds promising! My gf already has ES player for the tennis and winter sports mainly and I was hoping that there was a way that this included the GCN race pass content. It sounds like this should just be available already through the ES player. One slight wrinkle, ES player was purchased through Amazon Prime, is this likely to be a snag? Has anyone activated/accessed GCN content e.g ad-free coverage through an ES player subscription?

Thanks all for the help!
    Every race on GCN seems to be available on the ES player and all can be watched ad free with an ES player subscription.
    You also get the breakaway stuff.
    What you don't get seems to be the GCN documentary content.
    So, if this isn't important to you, no worries at all.
    I watch via a couple of Amazon fire sticks for good measure.
  • blazing_saddles
    Carrying on with the GCN Eurosport player content, I noticed that as yet, the Tour of Switzerland men's race doesn't appear on the current ES player schedule.
    Here's the GCN UK season long, race schedule.

https://help.globalcyclingnetwork.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015566600-United-Kingdom

It's supposed to be on the race pass.......
  • blazing_saddles
    Switzerland now added to next week's extremely busy schedule.

No Ventoux Challenge though, that's got full live coverage on L'Equipe.
    No idea where the old Route du Sud (L'Occitane) is being shown.

Just catching up with the Mercantour classic from a week last Monday.
    If you haven't see it, it's worth watching from around 20 minutes in, to see the utter devastation caused by the storms of last Autumn.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm loving the better picture quality on the ES player compared to what I had before. If anyone else is watching on the Virgin TV Go on a laptop, it's worth the £20 for the ES player.
  • Pross

I'm loving the better picture quality on the ES player compared to what I had before. If anyone else is watching on the Virgin TV Go on a laptop, it's worth the £20 for the ES player.

Get a Firestick and you can watch it on a full sized TV instead.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Get a Firestick and you can watch it on a full sized TV instead.
    If I'm watching it on the TV, I'll watch it on the telly in HD. It's the TV Go that seems to be SD only. But mostly it's next to me on a second laptop in the background when I'm working.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    Unable to get GCN + to cast to my TV this afternoon, so have gone to ITV4 instead - did this at the weekend as well.
    Anyone else had it doing this?

At the weekend ES player was still fine, so nothing to do with my chromecast thing.

Restarted both the app and the TV.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Accidentally put it on with Danish audio.

Considering making it a permanent change, Dutch is also an option.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    elbowloh said:

Accidentally put it on with Danish audio.

Considering making it a permanent change, Dutch is also an option.

I was watching with Dutch commentary. Much less intrusive because I don't understand it but you get a sense of when something's happened because they aren't excited all the time. Also when the TV goes off for an ad break, they stay silent.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,638
    I'm employing a tactic of having CK on mute and watching ITV while he commentates. Then I can watch GCN on mute while ITV go for their (seemingly every 10 minutes) ad breaks.

I think the commentary duos are doing one hour shifts each. The last shift certainly starts with around 45k to go, and they've alternated between RH & CK each day. I expect to learn much about the roundabouts of Fougeres later
  • blazing_saddles

I'm employing a tactic of having CK on mute and watching ITV while he commentates. Then I can watch GCN on mute while ITV go for their (seemingly every 10 minutes) ad breaks.

I think the commentary duos are doing one hour shifts each. The last shift certainly starts with around 45k to go, and they've alternated between RH & CK each day. I expect to learn much about the roundabouts of Fougeres later

We have been so fortunate that just about all the major incidents have occurred when Hatch has been in the chair.
    As a result, my eardrums are still intact.