Eurosport player

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    edited September 2021
    JimD666 said:

It's a 50% increase in cost without a equivalent increase in value. It's not like there aren't other options to watch the cycling.

£60 does seem quite a lot to me, I'd likely struggle to justify that to be honest.

I hope the GCN app doesn't go up to that amount as well - I'd be prepared to pay £40, what with the extra documentaries and what have you.

I had a GCN sub running which expired in July I think, and my current ES Player sub runs until the end of November.

I might ask my partner if she wants to pay for a GCN+ sub for me for Christmas, as she always struggles to find presents for me that I will actually use.
    That's assuming it stays at £39.99 or less.

I remember the time I bagged an ES player 12 month sub on black friday for the heady cost of £1.99!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    What's worrying me is my lack of access before a certain race in a few weeks... 😦
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to find another solution. Seemingly there is a GCN+ app on Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Not sure how much that helps me, but I'll try to figure it out.

I use the app on a FireTV stick as my LG TV doesn't support an app, it works fine.
    Thanks for the info. Helps a lot as that is something I could get if I find no other way. Main reason I'm against it is really stupid. I got a very fancy TV and I don't want to have that extra remote of the fire stick. I know it's stupid, but it really bothers me. I don't want any further remotes or devices (like an Apple TV). The TV and speakers are mounted on the wall and it's a really clean setup with no visible cables. I want it to remain super minimalist.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    ddraver said:

What's worrying me is my lack of access before a certain race in a few weeks... 😦

Just get a 1 month subscription to GCN+. That's what I did hoping for a discount on the 1 year subscription later. That way you get to watch the WC RR's and P-R.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My GCN access auto renewed at 40 quid because I wasn't paying attention - can't say I am upset.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Apparently my ES player renewal will be £39.99 on 21st March.
    I expect this to change but hope/dream of another Black Friday deal.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited September 2021
    I did that thing where you cancelled your ES subscription but took advantage of the £9:99 offer for your renewal. However as they don’t take payment till the actual renewal date, the system tried to take payment from my out of date debit card despite me changing to another one on their system. So it was declined and when I tried to pay the only option was £39:99 or the monthly payments.
    But as someone has already mentioned 40 quid isn’t bad for what you get. One day last week I watched 2 cyclocross races and 2 road races.
    Currently the worlds male junior road race is on live.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It really isnt is it but it's all some economic game theory/fallacy thing that makes it seem really unjust to ones inner chimp
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    m.r.m. said:

Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to find another solution. Seemingly there is a GCN+ app on Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Not sure how much that helps me, but I'll try to figure it out.

I use the app on a FireTV stick as my LG TV doesn't support an app, it works fine.
    Thanks for the info. Helps a lot as that is something I could get if I find no other way. Main reason I'm against it is really stupid. I got a very fancy TV and I don't want to have that extra remote of the fire stick. I know it's stupid, but it really bothers me. I don't want any further remotes or devices (like an Apple TV). The TV and speakers are mounted on the wall and it's a really clean setup with no visible cables. I want it to remain super minimalist.
    Can you watch the player through the TVs internet browser?
  • m.r.m.
    Oh another good idea. Thanks Pross, I'll be traveling unfortunately on Saturday, but I'll try it out on Sunday! If this works it would be sooooo awesome!!
  • m.r.m.
    @Pross You're an effin genius! Could use the inbuilt web browser and it worked a peach! Thanks!!
    An app would be a cleaner, more elegant solution, but the web browser works great!
  • Pross
    m.r.m. said:

@Pross You're an effin genius! Could use the inbuilt web browser and it worked a peach! Thanks!!
    An app would be a cleaner, more elegant solution, but the web browser works great!

Good to hear, I suspected there would be some stupid built-in glitch that meant it wouldn't work. The internet browser on a TV is a pain to use but I guess it now shows up in your history so should be easier in future.
  • daniel_b
    Just had my BC e-mail through, if you're a member, on your dashboard you'll have a 25% discount code for GCN+, works from now until October 31st, so £29.99 for 12 months.

My ES Player sub expires in November, so this will almost perfectly fit in.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anyone else's GCN+ died on Fire stick?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,933
    edited October 2021
    Just checked and getting nothing but "Content not avaiable"

Not helpful

EDIT: Checked Android app, also not working. Logged into the website all fine. Android app then kicked in and so has the Fire app. Hopefully just a blip. All currently good
  • I want to catch up on last weeks cross in my lunch break !
  • webboo
    edited October 2021
    Mines been playing up on my IPad I can get the live stuff but none of the on demand. I did the usual stuff turning off the iPad, deleting and reloading the app. Still didn’t work.
    Just checked again on demand still not working.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,933
    edited October 2021
    Ignore, cant read dates
  • webboo
    edited October 2021
    Still somethings not working although I could wind the Scilly highlights backwards and forward but it wouldn’t play the full version.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Didn’t know there was a Scilly race broadcast.
  • Pross

Was thinking that, GCN really are covering the sport in depth. Needs a mention in the s**t small races thread.
  • webboo

Unfortunately today’s stage has been cancelled due to snow on the mountain top finish of St Agnes.
    Predictive text you can’t beat it.
  • Pross
    webboo said:

Unfortunately today’s stage has been cancelled due to snow on the mountain top finish of St Agnes.
    Predictive text you can’t beat it.
    Was always a gamble at this time of year in those parts.
  • m.r.m.
    Hardly a Scilly decision... 😜
  • daniel_b
    m.r.m. said:

Hardly a Scilly decision... 😜

Isle have to agree with you there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

I have had to resort to this, as after 3 weeks away, both my firesticks are failing to launch on demand content.
    I get the live homepage, schedule etc no problem, but I click on join live or watch from the start, it just goes blank.

I have cleared cache, data and uninstalled/reinstalled on the 4K, but to no avail.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo

Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

I have had to resort to this, as after 3 weeks away, both my firesticks are failing to launch on demand content.
    I get the live homepage, schedule etc no problem, but I click on join live or watch from the start, it just goes blank.

I have cleared cache, data and uninstalled/reinstalled on the 4K, but to no avail.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I’m now experiencing this since yesterday. I can watch stuff on the iPad but via fire stick on tv it just goes blank once I click on something. It also will not return to homepage or schedule. I uninstalled/ reinstalled the app but as yourself nothing.
  • Think it was down yesterday lunchtime. Normally watch through player app on tv and not had any issues that I can recall. It didn't work for Lombardy. It came back later and I managed to watch Lombardy on demand and Ganna hour live with no problems
  • webboo
    I have just turned the internet off and on and it’s working again.
  • webboo said:

I have just turned the internet off and on and it’s working again.

My 4K stick is now playing on demand content.
    My ordinary stick is still a no go.
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but it’s nice to find out that I am not alone.
    Thought I might have missed a crucial software update due to being unplugged for almost a month.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.