Should Mark Cavendish swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Pross said:

It's probably been discussed before but would he make a good DS? His attention to detail when recalling the run in to a chaotic sprint was always remarkable and he would be a good addition to any team with a promising young sprinter I feel.

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I always think it is less tactics and more man management that is required for a DS.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    His choice of course but I wouldn't be encouraging him to carry on. Instead of looking back look forwards to the next chapter.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    If a team thinks he can offer them something, and he thinks he can deliver it, then why not?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    edited October 2020
    andyrac said:

If a team thinks he can offer them something, and he thinks he can deliver it, then why not?

Trouble being that his current team doesn't, and the offers aren't flooding in.
    Also a while since he delivered.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The question is what would his role be in a team? There's little sign that he's a sprinter anymore. He's unlikely to rebrand as a big work horse like Bennati or Rojas. He brings bundles of experience, but so do lots of people already within the teams. Could he be part of a lead out train?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    If he is not going to sprint, then it is a bit like a fast bowler declaring that he's always wanted to send down a few overs of spin.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Pross said:

It's probably been discussed before but would he make a good DS? His attention to detail when recalling the run in to a chaotic sprint was always remarkable and he would be a good addition to any team with a promising young sprinter I feel.

Probably one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I always think it is less tactics and more man management that is required for a DS.
    Agree with both of you...

I can see how he could learn the man-management quite quickly though.

That said, I've never heard him express much interest in it. Perhaps he could be what Erik Zabel was for him in terms of a sort of sprint stage recon savant
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

That said, I've never heard him express much interest in it. Perhaps he could be what Erik Zabel was for him in terms of a sort of sprint stage recon savant
    He has already been in the commentary box, so I could imagine him doing more of that.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

ddraver said:

Pross said:

He has already been in the commentary box, so I could imagine him doing more of that.

Would love him to be alongside Kirby and see how long he lasts before launching a four letter outburst on live TV.
  • ddraver said:

Pross said:

Hasn't David Millar written about Cavendish DSing for the Isle of Man and having a great time doing so?
  • pblakeney

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Hasn't David Millar written about Cavendish DSing for the Isle of Man and having a great time doing so?
    It was mentioned on the Wiggins podcast. I got the impression that Kennaugh wasn't too impressed at the time. (Glasgow 2014).
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    elbowloh said:

I think he's probably earned the right to do whatever the fudge he wants.

How very magnanimous of you. He has obviously pleased you with his cycling and now you're showing your appreciation by granting him the right to do as he pleases. It's good to see that even the powerful world leaders like yourself can have some humility and compassion.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    WTF
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

WTF

Welcome to Planet Dennis were nothing is worthy of discussion.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pross said:

WTF

Every once in a while something just rubs me wrong. For instance, elbowloh's idea that someone has to EARN the right to live his own life. Or the idea that elbowloh has any say in it or approves or disapproves.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Pross said:

Absolutely spot on so i wonder why that's not a route he's considered or being directed towards, pride perhaps or other characteristics that might make him hard to work with?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    edited October 2020
    itboffin said:

Pross said:

Absolutely spot on so i wonder why that's not a route he's considered or being directed towards, pride perhaps or other characteristics that might make him hard to work with?
    Isn’t it more he still just loves to race and he’s upset that his body won’t let him?

He’d race till his 60s if he could.

I suspect with time he’ll get over it and then who knows.

Must be tough for these guys - it’s all they’ve ever done.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020

itboffin said:

Pross said:

Isn’t it more he still just loves to race and he’s upset that his body won’t let him?

He’d race till his 60s if he could.

I suspect with time he’ll get over it and then who knows.

Must be tough for these guys - it’s all they’ve ever done.
    It's not all he's ever done - he could go back to ballroom :smile:

I guess they wouldn't let him on Strictly...
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    pblakeney said:

It was mentioned on the Wiggins podcast. I got the impression that Kennaugh wasn't too impressed at the time. (Glasgow 2014).
    But wasn't that because Cavendish was furious about Kennaugh persisting with a doomed solo breakaway and throwing away any chance he had in the race?
  • pblakeney
    r0bh said:

pblakeney said:

But wasn't that because Cavendish was furious about Kennaugh persisting with a doomed solo breakaway and throwing away any chance he had in the race?
    It was presented that Cav sent him out on a doomed early breakaway.
    I'm only supplying second hand (third, fourth?) information, not fact.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • With regards to Strictly, Cavendish going on as the ringiest of absolute ringers wouldn't be a problem at all, I suspect, given that obvious ringers are pretty much a Strictly staple...
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    If it possible and all parties are willing , perhaps strike a no wages deal similar to what Phil Gilbert’s had with Quick step. If Rod Ellingworth or any one thinks it a good deal for them.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Matti66 said:

If it possible and all parties are willing , perhaps strike a no wages deal similar to what Phil Gilbert’s had with Quick step. If Rod Ellingworth or any one thinks it a good deal for them.

I think he's already had a season or two on that basis?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Matti66
    Oh okay . Thanks.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    dennisn said:

Pross said:

WTF

Every once in a while something just rubs me wrong. For instance, elbowloh's idea that someone has to EARN the right to live his own life. Or the idea that elbowloh has any say in it or approves or disapproves.
    My reply was more about the fact this thread exists, with people expressing their opinions on whether he should retire or not. My point was entirely that, that it's his fecking choice, which you seemed to have completely misunderstood.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Matti66 said:

can you actually do a no wages deal ? going back a few years here but I remember the LA comeback where he said he wasnt going to get paid. It then came out there was a UCI minimum wage every ride had to be on
  • Matti66
    I don’t know TBH and it was just an off the cuff remark. But the Minimum wage plus win bonuses, it might be worth it . He will always attract attention and could do something nice in a race .
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    I think Cav should retire from the pro peloton and make a new career in hill climb challenge matches against all the cat 3 riders that said he couldn't get over a speed bump. I for one would pay to see the legs he ripped off scattered over the British countryside.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I think Cav should retire from the pro peloton and make a new career in hill climb challenge matches against all the cat 3 riders that said he couldn't get over a speed bump. I for one would pay to see the legs he ripped off scattered over the British countryside.

I'd pay to do a hill climb match against Cavendish :smile:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd actually quite like him to target the British Hill Climb Champs - could he win it if he took it seriously? I'm guessing not and I'm guessing he really couldn't be bothered trying anyway but it'd be an interesting challenge.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]