Should Mark Cavendish swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    No I agree. I think it comes down to teams having to choose if they are targeting GC or having a sprinter. They have the financial incentive to target GC. This results in sprinters becoming more and more very expensive (sprinter + his leadout train) luxuries no one wants to afford. Mostly (becoming only) teams not targeting GC seriously run a sprinter in a GT.
    In the past good teams could have both GC contenders and sprinters. This is basically no longer possible. The teams need to be much more specific in their rosters to successfully fulfill the objectives.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I'm not sure that's true. The richest teams can afford a GC contender and a sprinter, i.e. Jumbo-Visma who could field Roglic, Dumoulin and Groenewegen, or Sky or T-Mobile in the past. The less well funded teams can't, so they either have a second tier GT rider, like Guillame Martin, or a second tier sprinter, like Bouhanni. But even then, a team like Arkea-Samsic can turn up at the Tour with a team that includes Quintana, Bouhanni and Barguil.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited August 2020
    andyp said:

I'm not sure that's true. The richest teams can afford a GC contender and a sprinter, i.e. Jumbo-Visma who could field Roglic, Dumoulin and Groenewegen, or Sky or T-Mobile in the past. The less well funded teams can't, so they either have a second tier GT rider, like Guillame Martin, or a second tier sprinter, like Bouhanni. But even then, a team like Arkea-Samsic can turn up at the Tour with a team that includes Quintana, Bouhanni and Barguil.

They can't, not really, unless they have a sprinter who is comfortable without a leadout train.

A GC contender plus a few (3 say) mountain domestiques, plus a couple of rouleurs for your flatter stages and stage starts to look after the GC contender - you might have space for the sprinter but you aren't going to put another 3 guys in at his sole disposal for his leadout train. And if you're seriously targetting GC, are you really going to risk letting the rouleurs do leadouts on sprint stages? They need to be looking after the GC guy. Sky did it initially but they gave up since.

The less well funded teams go half and half because they can't afford the super domestiques to get their star GC guy through. So they are banking on the GC guy being able to keep up with the big hitter mountain trains and then having a few guys to try and get a sprinter home.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    andyp said:

What Bob said!

It isn't just about the financial cost. It's mainly about you not being able to afford to split the team into two parts (sprint train / mountain climbers) against teams that don't. I think it was one of Sky's first big improvements of designing their high priced squad entirely around the mountain train. Others kept sprinters for much longer.
    Nowadays you need to focus on one sole objective in order to win. If you don't you are conceding an advantage to those that do.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    Also, smaller team sizes - when Sky had Cav they were still teams of 9. Bit more leeway there.
  • The recent trend towards removing the flattest stages in order to keep the rest of the race "interesting" also mitigates against taking sprinters to the Tour. There's fewer opportunities for them to win now.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2020
    And if there are sprint stages after a load of hard mountain stages then you need to take a chaperone for the sprinter to make sure to get them over in the autobus...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Problem is the fewer sprint stages there are the less interesting the sprint battle is so there is less interest in those that remain. When Sagan has green seen up there is even less interest.

Whereas once you had big names of the sport going head to head over a series of sprint stages to establish who is the number 1 we end up with less high profile riders seeing who can bag the odd stage.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Yes
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I, for one, will miss our Sprint heroes....

Plus, sleepy afternoon sprint stages were the perfect accompaniment to actually getting some work done during July -Test Match Special but with even less likelihood of anything interesting happening - followed by 15km of fun for a coffee break!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    https://youtu.be/2KYRCS8f2gA

The end of this clip is quite sad. On the other hand I aren't sure how different it is to races in the past, it may just be happening more often
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited August 2020
    gsk82 said:

The end of this clip is quite sad. On the other hand I aren't sure how different it is to races in the past, it may just be happening more often

It may indeed be sad, but that was not a "sprinter's stage".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Personally all I see is a great career from Cav. I also like the fact he completes a Stage /Tour to the end no matter where he's positioned (respect for the event).

If a team want his Name as a result and he still wants to ride, where's the problem?
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    no tour (gazzetta dello sport)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Maybe winning lots of sprint stages doesn't bring in the sponsors.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited August 2020
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2020

It might. If you win lots of stages.
    He doesn’t any more.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    No surprise there at all. It would have been pure folly to take him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited August 2020
    pblakeney said:

It might. If you win lots of stages.
    He doesn’t any more.
    yeah. bit of a vague non-sequitur from me there.

was pondering why we don't see teams going all in for superstar sprinters in general

people may not have actually been discussing that ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    There has been some good sprinting in recent years.
    This is an unusual year with the entrants and routes not really suiting sprinters.
    I predicted Cav wouldn’t have started stage 8 of TdF, had he been selected. I imagine most full on sprinters won’t be relishing the route either.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I just hope what ever he decides works out for him personally. He's given us great entertainment and some fantastic sprints over the years. Controversial, a bit marmite but a great rider.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Could anyone see him riding as a pro next year? He hasn't looked competitive in top level sprints for years, he has never really tried to transition to become more of a classics rider and you suspect it's too late to try that, hard to see what his role in a team would be.

Shame that it seems a virus has robbed him of the last few years of his career but still in the mix in any discussion about the greatest sprinter of all time.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

Could anyone see him riding as a pro next year? He hasn't looked competitive in top level sprints for years, he has never really tried to transition to become more of a classics rider and you suspect it's too late to try that, hard to see what his role in a team would be.

I hoped that when his top end sprinting went he would become a 'classics' type of rider. Either he didn't want to, or couldn't.....

However, he's had a fabulous career, and hopefully he'll be the one to decide when it's over.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    I quite like it when sportsmen don't retire at the top. Shows they actually enjoy it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

I quite like it when sportsmen don't retire at the top. Shows they actually enjoy it.

He didn't look like he was enjoying the Tour de Wallonie. I actually found it quite hard to watch. He's one of my cycling heroes and, whatever he decides to do, I hope it brings him happiness.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    DeadCalm said:

He didn't look like he was enjoying the Tour de Wallonie. I actually found it quite hard to watch. He's one of my cycling heroes and, whatever he decides to do, I hope it brings him happiness.
    I'm sure he doesn't enjoy not winning. But the whole training, team, racing etc. He must do.
  • pblakeney

DeadCalm said:

I'm sure he doesn't enjoy not winning. But the whole training, team, racing etc. He must do.
    FTFY.
    He did not appear to be enjoying the Wallonie one little bit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    ibr17xvii said:
    Good hear it come from the horse's mouth.
    Parcours being the main reason comes as no surprise to me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ddraver said:

I, for one, will miss our Sprint heroes....

Now it's been pointed out to me, I'm actually a bit narked off about this.

What is the point in going "All in for Landa"??

Landa isn't going to win dick all yet we have a team that has totally dedicated itself to getting an also ran a top 5ish finish as opposed to going for sprint stages as well...

What's the flipping point..?!?!?!

Anyway....

*grumble grumble*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver