Should Mark Cavendish swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    david7m said:

Yes, same as Rossi in motogp.

Yes, and unfortunately yes.
  • His non-inclusion is no real surprise. He hasn't been near the business end of a sprint in years. It's time to finally pack it in.

DD.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ddraver said:

What is the point in going "All in for Landa"??

Landa isn't going to win censored all yet we have a team that has totally dedicated itself to getting an also ran a top 5ish finish as opposed to going for sprint stages as well...

With the best will in the world, Landa being in the top ten overall is more likely than Cavendish being in the top ten on any sprint stage. And I take no joy in saying that.

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, my point was more general really. This has just crystallised it...

Under the flimsy veil of reducing crashes and making the sport "unpredictable" (the actual reason was to stop Sky winning so much), they've reduced team numbers and thus killed off one of the most exciting parts of the sport.

Law of unintended consequence...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

I, for one, will miss our Sprint heroes....

Now it's been pointed out to me, I'm actually a bit narked off about this.

What is the point in going "All in for Landa"??

Landa isn't going to win censored all yet we have a team that has totally dedicated itself to getting an also ran a top 5ish finish as opposed to going for sprint stages as well...

What's the flipping point..?!?!?!

Anyway....

*grumble grumble*
    They’re sprinters aren’t all that - so it doesn’t matter what they do. They may as well go all in on Landa and have Sonny along for s & g
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • ddraver
    See above
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Forum has taken a real turn if people are hankering for sprint stages....
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

I quite like the sprint bit, but I really like the boring hours in the French countryside.
  • ddraver

You dont know what you've got till it's gone...

See also, long stages... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Think it's simply down to him not having the form and the Tour only having 2 real sprint stages. That is just not much in terms of opportunity.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    He should tell his best mate Crutchlow to retire from MotoGP at the same time too.

Both of them are knackered.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I thought Demare might be worth a shout too given his form and he's less of a pure sprinter than Cav so surely a few chances to win. Anyone not caught the French nat champs it was a great last few Kms
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Maybe next year we could have a TDF first week for the sprinters, with teams allowed to bring extra team members just for the first week, before being whittled down to the core GC challengers and their support domestiques.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    does he have a race program for the year yet ? any other events overlapping ?

hes made the sharp end of races a few times but then seems to miss a wheel and coast in
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Did anyone see enough of todays race to comment on how strong he looked ? I understand he got in the break of the day but was it one of those with any chance - did it serve any purpose such as saving his team from chasing ?

I did wonder if he just didn't want to take the risk of a bunch sprint in what he thought was his last race - given what happened in the finale possibly a wise decision.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

Did anyone see enough of todays race to comment on how strong he looked ? I understand he got in the break of the day but was it one of those with any chance - did it serve any purpose such as saving his team from chasing ?

I did wonder if he just didn't want to take the risk of a bunch sprint in what he thought was his last race - given what happened in the finale possibly a wise decision.

I didn't watch too closely, but I don't think even in his prime he stood much chance in a break. The whole thing is a bit weird at the moment. He's clearly suffering from depression and has been unable to find any form as a result of this, previous injuries and the viral infection, but it also looks like he has the yips about sprinting.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Reading his interview it sounds more like he knew he wouldn't be able to sprint for the win but wanted to do something in the race anyway. It was his first professional win in 2007.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-i-dont-have-a-desire-to-stop-racing/
  • TheBigBean

Reading his interview it sounds more like he knew he wouldn't be able to sprint for the win but wanted to do something in the race anyway. It was his first professional win in 2007.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mark-cavendish-i-dont-have-a-desire-to-stop-racing/

He doesn't say much though. He likes to ride a bike and has fond memories of not being a pure sprinter as a kid, but what about his current form?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    He's doing De Ronde on Sunday
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95. said:

Sounds like retirement then. Taking the opportunity do some of things he has never had a chance to e.g. get in breaks, ride Ronde*

*you'll probably tell me rode it once before, but you get the point
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Twice
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604

RichN95. said:

Sounds like retirement then. Taking the opportunity do some of things he has never had a chance to e.g. get in breaks, ride Ronde*

It might be , but equally, if he’s getting a wage and isn’t going to the GT’s, he needs to race somewhere.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Belgians love Cav.

They really understand his place in the sport
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Leferve saying he's going to talk with Cavendish, his head says no, his heart says yes.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think he's probably earned the right to do whatever the fudge he wants.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Well, inspired by seeing him recently, here is my idea:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/mark-cavendish-sendoff-year

Wouldn't it be great if the man of the people became the man of the people?
    Insert bike here:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    elbowloh said:

Needs a team to pick him though. It is not all in his control.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

Sports fairly unforgiving though. If someone announces their retirement, they get a few perks shortly before retiring, but otherwise, you need to merit your place otherwise you are keeping a young rider out of the team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    It's probably been discussed before but would he make a good DS? His attention to detail when recalling the run in to a chaotic sprint was always remarkable and he would be a good addition to any team with a promising young sprinter I feel.