TDF 2019, Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 27/07/2019 - 130 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    I’m going full on old school Colombian in celebration. I’m expecting a full crash on my descent.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    itboffin wrote:
    An Ineos 1 2 is obvs. the ideal outcome for the team but surely being the reigning champ should give you team priority unless you're clearly not up to placing in a top GC position.

That's how it always used to work wasn't it?
    Nah, the rider who has the best chance of winning is who they back. No chance of sentimentality.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    itboffin wrote:
    An Ineos 1 2 is obvs. the ideal outcome for the team but surely being the reining champ should give you team priority unless you're clearly not up to placing in a top GC position.

Thomas wasnt capable of getting away from Alaphillippe until Bernsl was unleashed, and doing that gave Bernal the lead.

The race decides, Ineos couldn't just keep on hoping for something that might not have happened.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    itboffin wrote:
    An Ineos 1 2 is obvs. the ideal outcome for the team but surely being the reigning champ should give you team priority unless you're clearly not up to placing in a top GC position.

Hinault would be punching folks right now. Geraint is smiling.
    You can be too nice you know....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I’m going full on old school Colombian in celebration. I’m expecting a full crash on my descent.

Coffee or something else?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pete Kennaugh looks cold.
  • blazing_saddles
    How many GT one-twos is that for Sky/Ineos now?

Vuelta 2011
    TDF 2012
    TDF 2018
    TDF 2019

Is that it? Have I missed any?

You've heard Sir Dave. Nobody cares about second.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What a stinking pile of sh*te. Brailsford f*cks over current tdf champ for Bernal. Wtaf! Lost every shred of respect I ever had for him.
    But didn’t the current champ become the current champ by f*cking over the then current champ, who into turn initially became champ by f*cking over the original champ,
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows

Vuelta 2011
    TDF 2012
    TDF 2018
    TDF 2019

You've heard Sir Dave. Nobody cares about second.

Unless Cobo is 1st.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Vuelta 2011
    TDF 2012
    TDF 2018
    TDF 2019

2018 was a one-three
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    yeah, terrific threads BS . top-notch.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95 wrote:
    What a stinking pile of sh*te. Brailsford f*cks over current tdf champ for Bernal. Wtaf! Lost every shred of respect I ever had for him.
    But didn’t the current champ become the current champ by f*cking over the then current champ, who into turn initially became champ by f*cking over the original champ,
    The King is dead. Long live the King.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Ineos could win the tour with any rider in the top 15. They should be made to sign that waster Bardet, install him as leader and see what happens.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

Vuelta 2011
    TDF 2012
    TDF 2018
    TDF 2019

2018 was a one-three

Oh yeah so it was.

So that's 3 one-twos. One 7 years late.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I think Ineos were happy to let Bernal win. It takes the pressure off for next year's race to let CF go for his fifth.
    Half man, Half bike
  • smithy21
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I think Ineos were happy to let Bernal win. It takes the pressure off for next year's race to let CF go for his fifth.

Froome is finished. :lol:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    it was a damm fine tour still. despite losing the alps.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

When Froome went a few years back Brad threw all his toys out of the pram and he had to come back do his job even though he was clearly in better shape, he's even said so much in his book.

Team orders for Brad but not for G
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • What a stinking pile of sh*te. Brailsford f*cks over current tdf champ for Bernal. Wtaf! Lost every shred of respect I ever had for him.
    Errrr
  • above_the_cows
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

When Froome went a few years back Brad threw all his toys out of the pram and he had to come back do his job even though he was clearly in better shape, he's even said so much in his book.

Wiggins, Froome, Thomas, and Bernal are not the same people at the same points in their careers, in the same race etc. etc., some times organisations alter their approaches based on the people and situations they're working with.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Prudhomme "Froome not being at the tour gave other riders a chance"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • smithy21
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Different scenarios. Wiggins was undisputed leader, had raced and won pretty much everything he entered that year. Froome had missed a lot of the season, knew his job at that tour and then acted the d1ck when he realised he could of won. Froome and Thomas were co-leaders :roll: last year and the same this year with Bernal and Thomas.
  • blazing_saddles
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Like I said: too nice.
  • Why are people moaning?* That was the best tour for years.

*apart from “because, cycling” :mrgreen:
  • blazing_saddles
    smithy21 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Different scenarios. Wiggins was undisputed leader, had raced and won pretty much everything he entered that year. Froome had missed a lot of the season, knew his job at that tour and then acted the d1ck when he realised he could have won. Froome and Thomas were co-leaders :roll: last year and the same this year with Bernal and Thomas.

In reality, Thomas wasn't though. For example if Froome had a problem during the TTT, orders were to wait, if Geraint had a problem it was bye bye, see you at the finish.

This year was co leaders though. Go figure.

At least the money is good.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Alfredo has lost the lanterne rouge, I think :-(
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    davidof wrote:
    Alfredo has lost the lanterne rouge, I think :-(

He didn't Wanty it.
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    They would have backed Thomas if his attacks didn't have less power than my farts.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    As DS, how would you have engineered a Thomas win? Just asked Bernal to stop for a bit today?