TDF Stage 19, Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 26/07/2019 - 126,5 km *Spoilers*

1121314151618»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    RichN95 wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:
    I don’t know what the answer is, or even if it’s possible to do. Just posing the question
    Milan-San Remo was much easier to restart. There was six man break and a peloton (including some dropped riders who got let back in). They needed a winner on the day and that was easy solution.

Today though riders were all over the place. There was no way of sensibly restarting. And the race can still have a meaningful winner with the cancellation.
    Alaphilippe would claim his time back on the descent. Bernal would claim to have increased his lead to Tignes, the rest would have been as was, and Yates was never going to match Bernal for the win.
    Sensible decision all round but the confusion was understandable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ddraver wrote:
    About Allaphillipe cracking or the weather???

(Elle est Marion Rousseau non?)

no because shed missed the drinks trolley in all the confusion. And NO WHERE STOCKS CAMPARI in these MOUNTAINS
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Yeah watching the ITV highlights, they absolutely had no choice there. Its rubbish but they couldn't have done anything else.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,626
    i hope they try and get landa in the break tomorrow. why not nothing to lose

A break?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,626
    ddraver wrote:
    About Allaphillipe cracking or the weather???

(Elle est Marion Rousseau non?)

no because shed missed the drinks trolley in all the confusion. And NO WHERE STOCKS CAMPARI in these MOUNTAINS

Just drink martinis and stop whining.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    i hope they try and get landa in the break tomorrow. why not nothing to lose

Don't think there will be a break.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Jeez. Just got in from wedding having successfully avoided the result. Wasn’t expecting that!!

It does look like they had no choice. That wasn’t passable.

Thomas looks to have resigned himself to Bernal
    taking overall now. I guess he’ll go for second.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Hearing that the descent off the Cormet de Roselend is unusable so tomorrow’s stage will run directly south from Albertville to Val Thorens. Stage now just 59kn #TDF2019

https://twitter.com/petercossins/status ... 1542871040
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Alaphilippe would claim his time back on the descent.
    As an aside I keep seeing people saying that Alaphilippe would have got back onto the Thomas group. They cancelled the race 8km down the 15km descent. He'd made up 13 seconds of 67 in that time. No way was he getting back on. He then faced 10km of flat alone or with no help.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    RichN95 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    As an aside I keep seeing people saying that Alaphilippe would have got back onto the Thomas group. They cancelled the race 8km down the 15km descent. He'd made up 13 seconds of 67 in that time. No way was he getting back on. He then faced 10km of flat alone or with no help.

Not to mention that it takes as much effort to charge downhill, as it does to attack going uphill.
    I expect they imagine he has a magic top tube that makes him go downhill faster without turning those funny things below.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Alaphalippe could have lost 5 minutes plus
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,028
    I haven't been able to read the whole thread but in this case I think the decision us the best/fairest they could do.

Is it a set rule though? What if say Quintana had been 10 minutes up with 2 climbs to go a day ago but no real prospect of holding that advantage - if it had gifted the Tour to him (rather than Bernal) that would seem less satisfactory. Part of me likes the fact that cycling seems sometimes to make things up on the hoof and part of me thinks actually the rules should be set in stone - like I say I don't know which was the case here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I guess having some discretion allows them to do what seems to be the fairest thing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    :lol::lol::lol:

I know it's easy after the fact n 'all but...

Just got to the bit of the highlights when they show the snow on the road...WHAT were you guys on about, OF COURSE they had to neutralise it, there was a flipping snow plough on the route! I'd have chained up before having a crack at that!

:lol::lol::lol:

(love you guys)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    edited July 2019
    Alaphalippe could have lost 5 minutes plus

Stopping the race when they did kept him in a podium position, I’m pretty sure if the race hadn’t been stopped he’d have shipped loadsa time today after absolutely shredding himself to bits, leaving him with zero gas for tomorrow and a certain demolition
  • RichN95.
    Alaphalippe could have lost 5 minutes plus
    With Landa up the road he may have dropped out of the top 5. Now he has an evens chance of being on the podium. Good day, and I think he knows it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    I was in Tignes 1800 having climbed up from Bourg St M, and I descended to beneath the tunnel after the dam and back up. Had they got through the snow / hail etc they would have hit the mudslide at 80 kmh.
    Allaphillipe would have lost a minute on the climb from Les Brevieres to the finish so the time gaps at the Iserean have favoured him, but there was no alternative.
    We were staggered they were climbing and descending in the dry when there was such a deluge and lightning hitting the mountains around us.
    Having had yesterday's storm catch the back of the peloton, and then we fans having to descend off the Galibibier and down the Telegraphe in the storm, what a couple of days to be a TdF spectator! The stuff tales for grandchildren are made of!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Having had yesterday's storm catch the back of the peloton, and then we fans having to descend off the Galibibier and down the Telegraphe in the storm, what a couple of days to be a TdF spectator! The stuff tales for grandchildren are made of!

Ha ha, I love the mountains, we only had the tiniest spots of rain on the other side of the Galibier. It really is different over the Savoie side.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I haven't been able to read the whole thread but in this case I think the decision us the best/fairest they could do.

Is it a set rule though? What if say Quintana had been 10 minutes up with 2 climbs to go a day ago but no real prospect of holding that advantage - if it had gifted the Tour to him (rather than Bernal) that would seem less satisfactory. Part of me likes the fact that cycling seems sometimes to make things up on the hoof and part of me thinks actually the rules should be set in stone - like I say I don't know which was the case here.

There's a few options they can choose from, including both giving times at a specific point and completely cancelling the stage.

If there had been a virtual yellow break that still had 100km to get reeled in? God knows. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have wanted to give it to somebody 9 minutes back who had 10 mins on the road.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    RichN95 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sloppy typing. He would claim that he could've.
    Then he would have dropped shed loads of time on the climb.
    My point was that everyone should be relatively happy given the situation but understandably upset at the time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I see they granted double mountain points on the L'Iseran. That means Warren Barguil's tally was doubled from 12 to 24 points for the climb.

He now leads the Mountain classification by 12 points!

Vive la France
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    mrfpb wrote:
    I see they granted double mountain points on the L'Iseran. That means Warren Barguil's tally was doubled from 12 to 24 points for the climb.

He now leads the Mountain classification by 12 points!

Vive la France

Bardet is still leading. Barguil is about 12th. I'm not sure what you've seen

They also gave Bernal the bonus seconds for the climb, as originally planned.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    Shame for Alaphalippe, if there was three ITT's like Wiggins got he could have won it against this bunch

Bernal is the next best option. Thomas being a mulitple Tour winner would be ridiculous
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    tommasi wrote:
    Shame for Alaphalippe, if there was three ITT's like Wiggins got he could have won it against this bunch

Bernal is the next best option. Thomas being a mulitple Tour winner would be ridiculous
    If the stage hadn't been shortened yesterday Alaphillipe would have been lucky to still be in the top 5 and after today may not even have had a top 10 spot. If there had been more ITT miles Thomas would have likely been in yellow.
  • RichN95.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Sloppy typing. He would claim that he could've.
    Then he would have dropped shed loads of time on the climb.
    My point was that everyone should be relatively happy given the situation but understandably upset at the time.
    I understood what you meant. When I start"As an aside", it's my way of saying "this isn't a direct response to you"
  • pblakeney
    RichN95 wrote:
    I understood what you meant. When I start"As an aside", it's my way of saying "this isn't a direct response to you"
    :idea: Oops. 8)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    It must be contagious. This happened to the Yorkshire world's course, today.

48416426412_37f8b75b45.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Difference is the French would fix it in under 48 hours, whereas that'll get fixed the day before the start of the worlds....