TDF Stage 19, Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 26/07/2019 - 126,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    D O G wrote:
    Where is the snow? Still not seen iton the route?

At Val d'Isere apparently
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I'm sure Kruiswijk is happy with that decision...
    Half man, Half bike
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Eurosport go to an ad break, I get up to make some tea and come back to this!!!!

Someone hates me!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    BigMat wrote:
    To be honest whatever time Alaphilippe made up on the descent he would have lost double on final climb.

Agreed, he was toast already

one for the ages that debate
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    edited July 2019
    D O G wrote:
    Where is the snow? Still not seen iton the route?
    Two areas of road shown on what is a 25km descent. One area of deep hail/ice on a corner, another of snow having to be moved by a snow plough.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I'm sure Kruiswijk is happy with that decision...

And Bernal and poss Thomas
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited July 2019
    Wow, never seen this happen, if the stage is abandoned then surely you cancel all times from stage... Not from a HC summit where nobody appeared to be aware of the snow/hail/ice as Bernal approached the summit.

Oh aye. Just neutralise the whole key high mountain stage. Let's just cut to Paris and have a Wolfpack party.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mididoctors
    julian phillipe still on the podium?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Tignes want their money back.
    I bet they desperately try to cancel the whole thing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,638
    Surely they stop it half way down, ferry them past the snow and then kick off again at the bottom of the final climb at said time gaps
  • mididoctors
    dowsett will be happy thats for sure
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    To be honest, this isn't really rideable

EAaMCz9X4AA4rmi?format=jpg&name=large
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Richard Moore just tweeted a photo of a landslide across the road too
  • mididoctors
    Surely they stop it half way down, ferry them past the snow and then kick off again at the bottom of the final climb at said time gaps

forecast for more was the reason given
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Wow, never seen this happen, if the stage is abandoned then surely you cancel all times from stage... Not from a HC summit where nobody appeared to be aware of the snow/hail/ice as Bernal approached the summit.
    they choose those points because the race timing system is at the KOMs and the sprints

But retrospectively choosing a finish point for a stage makes a mockery of individual and team tactics for GC contenders.

It would have been completely different if that hail on the ice was announced as they started climbing Iseran, telling everyone the summit was the revised stage finish.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Uran v Nibali.
    Lols
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    edited July 2019
    Taking the splits at the Iseran the GC should look something like this:

1. Bernal
    2. Alaphillipe +45s
    3. Thomas +1:05m
    4. Kruijswick +1:10m
    5. Buchman +1:37m
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited July 2019
    Eurosport just showed onboard motorbike footage (from Wiggins' bike enroute to the finish) of the problem ahead of the race. Really didn't look ridable. Bike was having real trouble. Ice right across the road.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    To be honest, this isn't really rideable

EAaMCz9X4AA4rmi?format=jpg&name=large
    Would be if Wout van Aert was still here!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Totally bizarre, riders overheating in 36 degrees one day and stopped for a snow plough a couple of days later. No choice but Bernal the big winner (does he get stage win bonus seconds too?) and the Thomas group the losers as they would probably have closed and JA lost more on the final climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Bernal bemused.
    Geraint with Prudhomme so calm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    bizarre huh
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Come in ATC...Are you ok???

Repeat...are you ok???
    Half man, Half bike
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Yeah, Eurosport showing them trying to clear the roads - does look like a mess.

Alaphillippe looks very upset in the team car.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Pross wrote:
    No choice but Bernal the big winner (does he get stage win bonus seconds too?) and the Thomas group the losers as they would probably have closed and JA lost more on the final climb.

Exactly this. JA was going to be smashed on the next climb, and I expect G would have regrouped with Bernal
  • tailwindhome
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Talking of Bernal 45secs on JA and GT further ~20secs back on GC.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Alan Ha Ha
    Alan Ha Ha Posts: 88
    Next year Bernal. Should be doing the Asda adverts

"Even if you can't rely on the weather. Summer bring it home at Asda."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The relevant section of the UCI rules:

The president of the commissaires’ panel, after consulting the organiser, may take the
    following sporting decisions:
    - cancel or let the results stand in case the race is temporarily neutralised or
    stopped, taking account of the gaps recorded at the moment of the incident;
    - cancel or let the results stand of an intermediate sprint, mountain sprint or any
    classifications;
    - declare a stage or a race null and void,
    Twitter: @RichN95