TDF Stage 19, Stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 26/07/2019 - 126,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2019
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    What does the race jury say about PTP points?
    Race commissaire here: The doping rule says that once the organiser posts the official results, then that's final. So it should naturally follow that if no official stage results are posted then no points are scored.

(And I'd picked Bernal)

EDIT: I see that the PTP President agrees.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    1. Egan Bernal
    2. Simon Yates, at 5’’
    3. Warren Barguil, at 41’’
    4. Laurens De Plus, at 50’’
    5. Steven Kruijswijk,
    6. Geraint Thomas,
    7. Emanuel Buchmann,
    8. Vincenzo Nibali, all st
    9. Richie Porte, at 1’18’’
    10. Gregor Mühlberger, st
    11. Wout Poels, at 1’50’’
    12. Damiano Caruso
    13. Alejandro Valverde, all st
    14. Julian Alaphilippe, at 2’07’’
    15. Rigoberto Uran, at 2’30’’
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Race commissaire here: The doping rule says that once the organiser posts the official results, then that's final. So it should naturally follow that if no official stage results are posted then no points are scored.

(And I'd picked Bernal)

Yep, I just agreed up thread. And I also picked Bernal
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Well that was exciting and disappointing at the same time! Glad that Ineos finally got their tactics together and distanced Alaphilippe on l'Iseran. Who knows what would have happened on the final climb if the stage had ran its course?

I'm not a great Pinot fan but I have to admit he did some great things on this Tour and at least deserved a podium place. If he hadn't got injured I think he may have well even won it based on how well he was climbing in the Pyrenees. I was getting quite emotional watching him struggling and then finally abandoning. Shades of the Giro last year.

I hadn't even heard he was injured so they kept that quiet. Anyone know what happened?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

(And I'd picked Bernal)

Yeah, just seen it. The PTP President and Chief Commissaire are in agreement
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

(And I'd picked Bernal)

That officially makes it a conspiracy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    edited July 2019
    Overall provisional standings

1. Egan Bernal
    2. Julian Alaphilippe, at 45’’
    3. Geraint Thomas, at 1’3’’
    4. Steven Kruijswijk, at 1’15’’
    5. Emanuel Buchmann, at 1’42’’
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    The time bonuses at col d'Iseran are taken into account. Here are the provisional overall standings:
    1. Egan Bernal
    2. Julian Alaphilippe, at 45’’
    3. Geraint Thomas, at 1’3’’
    4. Steven Kruijswijk, at 1’15’’
    5. Emanuel Buchmann, at 1’42’’
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Alaphilippe won't be on the podium after tomorrow.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Ben6899 wrote:

was surprised that Wiggins seemed to think he would be.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    Ben6899 wrote:

They're going to have to give him Combativity though aren't they? So he's on the Champs on Sunday. And you can't say it wouldn't be deserved.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I defer to Wiggins' insight (expert and all that), but I'm very surprised he's said that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:

They're going to have to give him Combativity though aren't they? So he's on the Champs on Sunday. And you can't say it wouldn't be deserved.
    I think the combativity is decided by kms in the breakaway, not jury any more.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Latest on the site.

There will be no winner for stage 19 and no most aggressive rider. For the overall classification, the times at col d'Iseran will apply.

Not sure why there should be no winner. It's pretty obvious who it was.
    Yates?

Yates had it in the bag IMO. The last climb had his name written all over it and he knew it too. Gutted. It would have been a hat-trick for him and five in the bag for MTS.
  • As dominant as Ineos' position seems now, is still close enough that (until the last km or so) if Kruijswijk/Buchmann attack to for a podium place they'll have to cover it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I defer to Wiggins' insight (expert and all that), but I'm very surprised he's said that.

I wouldn't. He's down to defending 20 odd seconds lead over 60kms and 4000 metres of climbing.
    No chance. He'll do really well to finish in the top 6.
    As dominant as Ineos' position seems now, is still close enough that (until the last km or so) if Kruijswijk/Buchmann attack to for a podium place they'll have to cover it.

That's the only slim chance Thomas has of regaining his title, as he'll be the one expected to cover.
    A bit like last year before Froome ceded leadership.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

(And I'd picked Bernal)

That officially makes it a conspiracy.

Their decision, but as the Jumbo representative, I don't want a load of "but if we had given out points for stage 19 then I would be the actual PTP champ for 2019" talk at the end of the season!
    Half man, Half bike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited July 2019
    RichN95 wrote:

That's a debris flow, not a muslide ;)

Stormy but far from extreme in Chamonix Valley. Mountain Weather innit.

Edit - Geneva airport is absolute bedlam However...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    The weather probably saved Dowsett and others
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Ha, one of the guys in my bike club was in Tignes for the summit finish.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Just seen Bernal crying with his yellow on, bless him.
  • hypster
    gsk82 wrote:
    The weather probably saved Dowsett and others

Well it certainly saved Alaphilippe prematurely dropping out of the top ten and it saved the KOM jersey for Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,636
    So disappointed.

Was so excited with the race sitch.

Real shame. :(
  • hypster
    I bet Pinot will be thinking now, "If I only carried on and made it to the top of l'Iseran"...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    So disappointed.

Was so excited with the race sitch.

Real shame. :(

It was absolutely magnificent until the cancellation, with much more to come.
  • hypster wrote:
    I bet Pinot will be thinking now, "If I only carried on and made it to the top of l'Iseran"...
    He'd probably be outside the top 20 and have done more damage to himself.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    hypster wrote:
    "... I'd be an hour down, have really wrecked my leg and still wouldn't be starting tomorrow anyway."
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:

Absolutely, but given the choice I think he would have carried on. There's only one thing worse than losing and that's quitting. I would say not finishing (yet again) is what stings the most for him.
  • hypster
    hypster wrote:
    "... I'd be an hour down, have really wrecked my leg and still wouldn't be starting tomorrow anyway."

Yeah right. I don't think that thought will have entered his head.
  • hypster wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Absolutely, but given the choice I think he would have carried on. There's only one thing worse than losing and that's quitting. I would say not finishing (yet again) is what stings the most for him.
    Quitting when there's not point carrying on and fighting another day is better that carrying on regardless and risking your chance of being able to fight another day. As bad as today was for Pinot I think he'll be encouraged by his performance going forward.

Grinding himself into the ground today in order to make a tokenistic finish wouldn't have done him any good.