TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

18910111214»

Comments

• There was some chat about the hooks for linking barriers being pointed the wrong way – into the oncoming rider – in this case.

In general I hate this sort of lawsuit that drives up costs for everyone, but I also hate the lack of action to improve safety where it can trivially be improved without harming the racing. That doesn’t include removing wet off-camber turns, which are only as dangerous as you make them with your entry speed and are anyway a good test of rider skill.
  • There is no reason to be using barriers with feet sticking out into the course. It's not some amature sportive, it's a professional sport and the organisers need to step out of the 1970's.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    There is no reason to be using barriers with feet sticking out into the course. It's not some amature sportive, it's a professional sport and the organisers need to step out of the 1970's.

If you don't have any foot at all on the front then there would be a likelihood that the load created by the crowds leaning on the back would cause them to overturn. All the ones I've seen in the last 20 years have a much smaller foot than the older ones though.
  • Pross wrote:
    There is no reason to be using barriers with feet sticking out into the course. It's not some amature sportive, it's a professional sport and the organisers need to step out of the 1970's.

If you don't have any foot at all on the front then there would be a likelihood that the load created by the crowds leaning on the back would cause them to overturn. All the ones I've seen in the last 20 years have a much smaller foot than the older ones though.
    You can fix a secondary barrier or dual skin, proper separation of rider from spectator will prevent accidents such as the camera strap, selfie, etc.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Pross wrote:

You can fix a secondary barrier or dual skin, proper separation of rider from spectator will prevent accidents such as the camera strap, selfie, etc.

When there's enough width to do it and they quite often do. It's not great as a spectator though as it gets hard to see anything that isn't right in front of you.