TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Gweeds wrote:
    I'm REALLY glad I'll be photographing a wedding all day tomorrow and missing the stage.

REALLY glad.

My wife convinced me to go on holiday at the start of the school break instead of at the end because we've been unlucky with weather in the last few years. I hadn't checked the calendar properly, let alone realised how back-loaded the tour would be, before agreeing. I'll be missing all this and trying to update the Lanterne Rouge by phone from a campsite in the middle of nowhere. This will be particularly fraught as I've demanded she delete all social media apps from her phone for the duration so that she actually talks to the rest of us and suspect I may be hoist by my own petard.

Oh, and as for the weather - I'm loading the car in the pissing rain and have just come inside to change my soaked t-shirt. Again.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    hypster wrote:
    Just watched the recorded ITV4 coverage. That is just not legally possible from Alaphilippe. I don't care what anybody says that's a Floyd Landis ride if ever I saw one.

I'm sure his adrenaline level will have been sky high during that ride due to wearing a yellow jersey, being French, and having the whole of France screaming encouragement. His adrenaline rush completely natural, unlike Floyd's
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    hypster wrote:
    Just watched the recorded ITV4 coverage. That is just not legally possible from Alaphilippe. I don't care what anybody says that's a Floyd Landis ride if ever I saw one.

Does it not occur to these people that we've never seen Ala in the form of his life, trying this hard, in a TT where the parcours suits him before?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I guess the plan tomorrow won't be for G to go for broke but for him and his team to slowly but surely turn the screw until Alaphilippe pops. I don't see him having the team to fully provide support day after day so he'll get isolated at some point against a team that will have 3 or 4 of G's lieutenants still there.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971
    I guess the plan tomorrow won't be for G to go for broke but for him and his team to slowly but surely turn the screw until Alaphilippe pops. I don't see him having the team to fully provide support day after day so he'll get isolated at some point against a team that will have 3 or 4 of G's lieutenants still there.

And if he just sits on G's wheel?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Gweeds wrote:
    I'm REALLY glad I'll be photographing a wedding all day tomorrow and missing the stage.

REALLY glad.

My wife convinced me to go on holiday at the start of the school break instead of at the end because we've been unlucky with weather in the last few years. I hadn't checked the calendar properly, let alone realised how back-loaded the tour would be, before agreeing. I'll be missing all this and trying to update the Lanterne Rouge by phone from a campsite in the middle of nowhere. This will be particularly fraught as I've demanded she delete all social media apps from her phone for the duration so that she actually talks to the rest of us and suspect I may be hoist by my own petard.

Oh, and as for the weather - I'm loading the car in the pissing rain and have just come inside to change my soaked t-shirt. Again.

Solidarity brother!

I've also got weddings on both of the main mountain stages next Fri/Sat.

Petard hoisting notwithstanding, I hope the weather improves for you.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,157
    xdoc wrote:
    Thomas being interviewed a few minutes after finishing, still breathing hard and looking like he'd put in a big effort, Allaphillip crosses the like, skids to a halt, hops off his bike and looks as fresh as a daisy. :?

Did I hear Millar say he gained 8 sec on the final ramp? Certainly flew up it.
    The skid is likely being interpreted as forgetting to switch off the motor.
  • ShutupJens
    Dabber wrote:

And if he just sits on G's wheel?

Then you adapt your tactics. The race isn't over after tomorrow
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568
    hypster wrote:

I'm sure his adrenaline level will have been sky high during that ride due to wearing a yellow jersey, being French, and having the whole of France screaming encouragement. His adrenaline rush completely natural, unlike Floyd's

Oooh so that's all you need to out of nowhere spank everyone in a tour de France time trial, a bit of adrenaline?

That ride was ridiculous. Then to confound it he was fresh as a daisy and bouncing off the walls after it.

I hope he gets spat out on the solour tomorrow to get this farce over with ASAP. I suspect he'll hang off the back though, then ride back on solo and leave the rest for dead in the last km of the tourmalet
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1152260612560424961

Blimey he make light work of that.
  • ShutupJens
    Ultimately Ineos I think need to do what they have found to work in previous years against non-diesel climbers. Chill until the base of the final climb, do as little as possible and then drop the hammer from the base of the Tourmalet. And then see what's what after that - as G said though, if he can keep this up then he'll win
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120

DQS have got their proper GC contender not too far behind Thomas so Alaphillipe could be a useful distraction if he can stay in contact. That said, riding well on some punchy, medium mountains is a long way from riding a touch under the red zone for probably 40-50 minutes.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    gsk82 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Oooh so that's all you need to out of nowhere spank everyone in a tour de France time trial, a bit of adrenaline?

That ride was ridiculous. Then to confound it he was fresh as a daisy and bouncing off the walls after it.

I hope he gets spat out on the solour tomorrow to get this farce over with ASAP. I suspect he'll hang off the back though, then ride back on solo and leave the rest for dead in the last km of the tourmalet

I think what we really need is someone to throw a bucket of piss over Alaphilippe because a cup just isn't enough to justify this nonsense.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross wrote:

DQS have got their proper GC contender not too far behind Thomas so Alaphillipe could be a useful distraction if he can stay in contact. That said, riding well on some punchy, medium mountains is a long way from riding a touch under the red zone for probably 40-50 minutes.

Day after day. And then staying at the front. It's not like you can relax once you've taken the polka dots and go backwards on a jour sans.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,485
    Alaphilippe is now 2nd favourite.

I don't really understand a lot of the comments about him today. Why would someone with a palmares like his struggle on today's course when properly motivated? Plus isn't it more far fetched to transform from a track pursuiter to a tour winner?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited July 2019
    I just hope that if he blows up, he does so spectacularly.
    Otherwise, I fear what we have seen with Froome in the past, roadside, will seem like a peace rally....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I just that if he blows up, he does so spectacularly.
    Otherwise, I fear what we have seen with Froome in the past, roadside, will seem like a peace rally....

Why? It was the French who don't like Froome. They are as partisan as you can get!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    I just that if he blows up, he does so spectacularly.

Why? It was the French who don't like Froome. They are as partisan as you can get!

Err, yes and Alaphillipe isn't Chinese.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    FocusZing wrote:

Blimey he make light work of that.

Wow.
  • FocusZing
    edited July 2019
    Mac9 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Blimey he made light work of that.

Wow.

On a TT bike too.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,568
    FocusZing wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Wow.

On a TT bike too.

At the end of a time trial after racing for time all week.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tour of Colombia this year. Alaphilippe was in great from. He'd won stage 5 (had 2nd & 3rd on other stages). He'd previously won the TT at San Luis and been second on GC.
    He was leader going into the final stage which finished on a 1000m elevation.....

....He lost two minutes.

Ineos won't be messing about tomorrow. Kwiatokowski & Castroviejo were 135th and 156th today
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tour of Colombia this year. Alaphilippe was in great from. He'd won stage 5 (had 2nd & 3rd on other stages). He'd previously won the TT at San Luis and been second on GC.
    He was leader going into the final stage which finished on a 1000m elevation.....

....He lost two minutes.

Ineos won't be messing about tomorrow. Kwiatokowski & Castroviejo were 135th and 156th today

Good point Rich.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Was Thomas' ride actually just a bit below par, and that's what is making Ala's ride look super normal?

Gs gaps to the other GC riders are surely below expectation. I think an on form Dumoulin or Froome would have smashed it.
  • FocusZing
    Was Thomas' ride actually just a bit below par, and that's what is making Ala's ride look super normal?

Gs gaps to the other GC riders are surely below expectation. I think an on form Dumoulin or Froome would have smashed it.

When the first riders came in they all commented how the climbs were more than they thought. I guess a course like that should suit Alaphilippe more than Thomas.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

In his interview after the stage Thomas said he didn't have that last 5% when he stepped on the pedals so you might have a point. Should also be pointed out that in TT head to heads Thomas only leads 6-4.
  • FocusZing
    gsk82 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Mac9 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Wow.

On a TT bike too.

At the end of a time trial after racing for time all week.

It is a short burst, but it is damn quick.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    If carlsberg did ped.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,120
    RichN95 wrote:

....He lost two minutes.

I almost picked Kwia for PTP based on the lumpy course but then my head told me he'd probably have to hold back.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229

Yeah, Thomas would have only beaten the rest of the field by 15 seconds, then Alaphilippe steps up with a ride that Dumoulin would have been proud of. Stinks to high heaven.

I've got to say I was really impressed with the way Alaphilippe animated the TdF in the earlier stages. Now I think he's just a cheat.