TDF 2019, Stage 13: Pau > Pau 19/07/2019 - 27,2 km ITT *Spoilers*

Comments

• iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Anyone listen to the recent cycling podcast km zero interview with Walsh?

Willing to stand corrected but he smashed them all and was bouncing at the end.

Interested to see what the next weeks bring.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247
    edited July 2019
    Gweeds wrote:
    Has he ever won a TT before?
    He won this one ahead of Contador in Paris-Nice two years ago

paris-nice-2017-stage-4-profile.png

He's got a pedigree in TTs. In the high mountains he doesn't. If he starts winning on the Tourmalet, different matter...
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited July 2019
    Cruff wrote:
    Wonder what The Clinic make of that? :lol::lol::lol:

I would imagine they will reward him with laurel wreath and a ticker tape parade of the wards. :P

He's going to blow up big time, when it happens, surely?
    How many times can he go so deep.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I think he will tire out by the end of 3 weeks, especially in high mountains. Happy to stand corrected. Always liked him.

Ineos should try and bury him tomorrow.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,611
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    Has he ever won a TT before?
    He won this one ahead of Contador in Paris-Nice two years ago

paris-nice-2017-stage-4-profile.png

I really don't know what to make of that ride today.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm perfectly prepared to accept Alaphilippe's improvements; we've seen it done before through diet, different training, etc. But the French fans/press must start questioning that, as it's only the same as they've done for others who've made similar improvements.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    Cruff wrote:
    Wonder what The Clinic make of that? :lol::lol::lol:
    Why was there footage of van Aert's crash, but not Froome's?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Outstanding TT.

His bike handling is really quite something.

Short which suits him too.

With him it’s more length of effort rather than type.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'm perfectly prepared to accept Alaphilippe's improvements; we've seen it done before through diet, different training, etc. But the French fans/press must start questioning that, as it's only the same as they've done for others who've made similar improvements.

:lol::lol::lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Distracts from Kruijswijk’s tidy TT too...
  • DQS's GC man did alright too...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I'll give Julian a sniff on the Galibier next week and report back to you all...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Be really interesting to see how DQS play it with Alan Phillip and Mas doing so well on GC. I heard a comment on a podcast this week from Alan Phillips big brother who said he was good enough for a 40 minute effort uphill. Lets see how he goes on the longer climbs. Incredible performance today though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its set up very nicely going into the high mountains. Very good tour so far, having a home favourite do well always adds a lot to big sporting events.
  • Man in the form of his life
  • That was incredible.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    D_2cbTsXkAAH2sF.jpg
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Dowsett and Cummings both down at 1hr:52min. Coincidence? Don't think so - nothing like a fellow countryman to stave of boredom with idle chatter.
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 399
    Can any of the more seasoned vets comment on whether there was as much "can he do it" about Voeckler when he was in Yellow for 10 days at the tail end of the race back in 2011? I only started getting into the sport in 2014 so genuinely interested.
  • RichN95.
    Can any of the more seasoned vets comment on whether there was as much "can he do it" about Voeckler when he was in Yellow for 10 days at the tail end of the race back in 2011? I only started getting into the sport in 2014 so genuinely interested.
    No. But Alaphilippe is a better rider than Voeckler
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

I know, not very likely
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Thomas being interviewed a few minutes after finishing, still breathing hard and looking like he'd put in a big effort, Allaphillip crosses the like, skids to a halt, hops off his bike and looks as fresh as a daisy. :?
  • FocusZing
    D_2fUCDXYAEL-4p.jpg
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:

I seem to recall a bit of "can he hang on to a podium finish", which went out the window when he went offroad into someone's front garden.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    xdoc wrote:
    Thomas being interviewed a few minutes after finishing, still breathing hard and looking like he'd put in a big effort, Allaphillip crosses the like, skids to a halt, hops off his bike and looks as fresh as a daisy. :?

Wearing Yellow makes a difference

tdf12st17_froome_brad_c.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,387
    Missed the pointy end as I was on taxi duty, pulled into the car park and tried to find +1 but it isn't available on ITV Hub so only managed to watch a few interviews. I thought Richie 'Emo' Porte had won at first. I liked Alaphillipe's tail slide after crossing the line. I reckon that was the ride of someone riding on adrenaline and giving it everything knowing that he's going to lose the jersey tomorrow.

It's going to be interesting to see who went too deep today and fails to recover. Ineos now know who they need to focus their attention on as well although Bernal is still close enough on GC to be of use. Mas continues to ride under the radar. He's the new Zubeldia.
  • FocusZing
    Ha, that's a cracking shot.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,387
    BigMat wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I seem to recall a bit of "can he hang on to a podium finish", which went out the window when he went offroad into someone's front garden.

There definitely was, he made it to the final mountain stage in yellow and then there was just a TT and the final day to go.

I was trying to remember what year that was thinking it was only a few years ago but it was 2011! I guess that's pretty obvious in hindsight as Sky have pretty much had the jersey secured by the end of week 1 since 2012 other than 2014.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,611
    I'm REALLY glad I'll be photographing a wedding all day tomorrow and missing the stage.

REALLY glad.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Just watched the recorded ITV4 coverage. That is just not legally possible from Alaphilippe. I don't care what anybody says that's a Floyd Landis ride if ever I saw one.