Tour build up 2019

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's 3 years since Mark Cavendish won a race outside of the Middle East
    It's a year and five months since he won a race anywhere

You know, along with being a bit disappointed to hear this I'm actually a bit relieved. There's no way he'd be anywhere near the sharp end and I think it would have got ignominious.

I can genuinely see him packing it in very soon.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Not surprised Cav has been left out for the reasons others have stated, but disappointed nonetheless.

He's shown no form since it's been claimed he's clear of the EB virus.
    He won't be happy for sure and will probably be considering his future. Back to the track for one last tilt in Tokyo?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Looking at DD's squad, I'd question whether Steve Cummings still has much to offer
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I watched the Matt Stephens/Cancellara cafe ride video last night and it was interesting that despite all he'd won, Fabian was implicit that he needed to finish at a point where he achieved something specific, and in 2016 he did that. I suspect that is what has been keeping Cav going, I guess its just a case of at what point it happens or he feels it just isn't going to.
    Just packing now would in many ways be the dignified way to go, but he's already now being pushed rather than jumping ... shame. :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Back to the track for one last tilt in Tokyo?

That's what I was thinking. Probably the only really big thing missing that he has any chance of reaching (although a massive task).

What would he need to to qualify?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:
    Looking at DD's squad, I'd question whether Steve Cummings still has much to offer

Calculation is presumably that they can take one wildcard to try and pinch a stage or two. Cavendish can't do that without support (compromising EBH?), Cummings at least is content to loaf around at the back on his own so doesn't use up much team resource. Cavendish at risk of elimination in the hills, too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    RichN95 wrote:

not as much as he did. certainly still quite strong, but like the rest of the team the last 18 months have turned them from being a great surprise team with a few potential stage winners, to a team of old stagers looking for a last world tour salary payday. EBH is really their focal point.

shame about Cav, kind of inevitable though.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Any ideas on the Yates brothers. Both riding and both had shaky starts. Bad weather were present in both Brothers demises this year. Aren't they any good in the cold and wet? They were saying they prefer to ride in the rain than a turbo in the dry. Think that's what Simon done at the Giro day off then his Giro struggles continued. :?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Reading between the lines, if thats a thing on Twitter, I'd say the Cav's are pissed at not getting picked and not being acknowledged in the presser.
    I guess(?) cav doesn't feel he's 'done' just yet.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Reading between the lines, if thats a thing on Twitter, I'd say the Cav's are pissed at not getting picked and not being acknowledged in the presser.
    I guess(?) cav doesn't feel he's 'done' just yet.
    the nature of that kind of rider, means they will never know when they are done. the answer was of course 2016 September, the worlds when he didn't jump past Matthews earlier to pip Sagan. since then its all been downhill.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    As a little aside, am I the only one who tends to forget CCC exist as a World Tour team?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    He’s 34 now. Even if he hadn’t been ill it would have been hard to stay competitive against the younger sprinters.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    hands down an ineos win barring more crash catastrophes
    I am still going out on a limb and saying no Ineos rider will win the race.

I'm going to put some money on Valverde, an absolute outside bet but id love it to happen.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    RichN95 wrote:
    As a little aside, am I the only one who tends to forget CCC exist as a World Tour team?
    who? are they the orange ones?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    RichN95 wrote:

The orange BMC but not riding BMC bikes (as DD are...)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525
    I would have taken Cavendish especially if he thought he had any sort of chance. Good publicity and he has plenty of experience even if his legs are questionable.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RichN95 wrote:

Ah yes CCC. At some points in spring it seemed to be the case that they only had one rider who remembered that he is part of a world tour team
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    hands down an ineos win barring more crash catastrophes
    I am still going out on a limb and saying no Ineos rider will win the race.

I'm going to put some money on Valverde, an absolute outside bet but id love it to happen.
    Think there is some definite value there this year. Would be a spectacular end to a spectacular career!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    Valverde is crap at altitude but knock yourself out
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    This.
    Highest Alpine stages in years.
    Half a dozen cols over the magic 2000 metres.
    Valverde’s kryptonite.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Yeah I keep forgetting that! :oops:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    philbar72 wrote:
    the answer was of course 2016 September, the worlds when he didn't jump past Matthews earlier to pip Sagan. since then its all been downhill.

I think that is a very good point.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    This.
    Highest Alpine stages in years.
    Half a dozen cols over the magic 2000 metres.
    Valverde’s kryptonite.

If 2000+m is Valverde's kryptonite who is Lex Luthor to embellish the metaphor?

Who is particularly good over 2000?

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

Any evidence of who is best? Or are we just going to be kept guessing until the final 4 stages?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • argyllflyer
    Ca't rule out wee Bernal
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    Kruiswijk does alrite at altitude.

I think Quintana is ok.

It’ll be a challenge for alaphilippe for the polka I suspect.
  • argyllflyer
    ShutupJens wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Ah yes CCC. At some points in spring it seemed to be the case that they only had one rider who remembered that he is part of a world tour team

I think they spent their entire budget on him and his golden helmet, mind.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Kruiswijk does alrite at altitude.

I think Quintana is ok.

It’ll be a challenge for alaphilippe for the polka I suspect.
    Plus he’s a bit of a diesel and the last summit finish takes 34kms to reach 2400 metres.
    Not sure how good Bernal will be up to Val Thorens...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Anyone else feeling like the Cavendish news has restarted the build up to the Tour? With Froome and Dumoulin ruled out a while back it felt like the anticipation had begun way too early and then sort of stalled out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Altitude favours Columbians usually no? Kinda just because 2000m to them is like sea level to Euros...

Same would've been true for FroomeDog
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    if Froome were still involved in this years TdF it would have just passed 400 days since he last won a race anywhere, so I dont get why people get so hung up on Cavs lack of recent victories, especially since he had glandular fever in that time, surely its about the number of chances to go for the win and whether he's been in the mix and right end of races and looking to peak for the TdF, much like Sky/Ineos operate.

I had to smile someone at work who did the whole "yeah Cav is washed up, he only finished 22nd in the nationals after all" reaction :roll:

maybe hes not the Cav of old who could win stages seemingly at whim, but you know he'd give it his damndest to try still. I dont think he'll retire yet Im still expecting him to turn up at Bahrain Merida tbf