Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Given King Charles is being warmly received on his visit to France. Would this be an appropriate time to reclaim it.

Think you have this the wrong way around.
    In what way.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    I said this to a colleague when I saw the headline earlier. I'd love to hear his defence.
  • webboo said:

webboo said:

Given King Charles is being warmly received on his visit to France. Would this be an appropriate time to reclaim it.

In what way.
    It's Europe, trying to take control and undo Brexit.
  • Tashman said:

I said this to a colleague when I saw the headline earlier. I'd love to hear his defence.
    He was just trying to keep warm.
  • It can't have been him as prison records confirm he was banged up at the time of the alleged offence...M'lud.
  • Tashman said:

https://youtu.be/2g5Hz17C4is?si=5jxBEEuv3i4MyXaF
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    I was thinking more of the Henry’s and their claims.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    webboo said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    This. At one point the King of England was next in line to the French throne. The French cooked up a get out of course but we were clearly robbed. Mind you, given what happened later maybe it was a lucky escape.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    This. At one point the King of England was next in line to the French throne. The French cooked up a get out of course but we were clearly robbed. Mind you, given what happened later maybe it was a lucky escape.
    I'm clearly out of touch. I thought they were German.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    Recently German.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_claims_to_the_French_throne
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    German for the last 150 years and French for the 800 years before that.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

rjsterry said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

In what way.
    German for the last 150 years and French for the 800 years before that.
    Blxxdy immigrunts, comin' over 'ere, takin' over the country...
  • rjsterry
    George I was definitely German and that was a lot earlier than the 1870s. Much before that and nationalities don't really have any meaning especially for royalty. Spanish Netherlands being the obvious example.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• "George, listen, I was definitely German, and don't you try to tell me otherwise. And, I can tell you, that was a lot earlier than the 1870s."

Once I remembered that there's no-one called George in CS, I twigged what you were on about, RJS.

I can't even trivially blame sans fonts, just the convention of using Roman numerals in such circumstances.
  • rjsterry

"George, listen, I was definitely German, and don't you try to tell me otherwise. And, I can tell you, that was a lot earlier than the 1870s."

Once I remembered that there's no-one called George in CS, I twigged what you were on about, RJS.

I can't even trivially blame sans fonts, just the convention of using Roman numerals in such circumstances.

🤣
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Quote from Murdoch.

I guess $17bn doesn't buy you any self awareness.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

Quote from Murdoch.

You don't get to where he is by saying what you actually think to the press. Especially your own press.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Quote from Murdoch.

You don't get to where he is by saying what you actually think to the press. Especially your own press.
    Once upon a time he was the outsider, but it's absurd to suggest that is still the case.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    lol since when did Murdoch care about saying absurd things?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    When I saw the big piece about him on the news yesterday I assumed he'd died rather than deciding to retire. Not sure someone stepping down from work at 92 is newsworthy. I guess its no surprise that the mainstream media focusses on the views of older people if it being run by dinosaurs like Murdoch.
  • rick_chasey
    Mild beef I have with the media is the media's obsession with their own perceived power; that somehow the media decides what people believe, rather than acting as a mirror, which is more accurate.
  • I happened to have Times Radio on when they were discussing it and it was more than faintly nauseating.
  • rick_chasey

I happened to have Times Radio on when they were discussing it and it was more than faintly nauseating.

lol whaddya expect.
  • Pross

Mild beef I have with the media is the media's obsession with their own perceived power; that somehow the media decides what people believe, rather than acting as a mirror, which is more accurate.

I'm not convinced that is true, I wish it was but I'm pretty sure the traditional media have a big impact on what the demographic who read their publications think which in turn affects politics. It's probably a mix of the two but you only have to look at the stuff people get wound up about because they read it in their newspaper of choice. I suppose it happens through the likes of Twitter too which, given it is open to anyone, can be an even bigger issue.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

I'm not convinced that is true, I wish it was but I'm pretty sure the traditional media have a big impact on what the demographic who read their publications think which in turn affects politics. It's probably a mix of the two but you only have to look at the stuff people get wound up about because they read it in their newspaper of choice. I suppose it happens through the likes of Twitter too which, given it is open to anyone, can be an even bigger issue.
    People get wound up by what they want to get wound up by.

If I were to start writing nonsense in the dailymail, no-one would pay any attention to it.

The real skill is saying enough of what people want.

Read the Fox news emails about how they're trapped into supporting Trump by their ratings to see what it's all about.
  • Pross
    The appeal of Northern Soul - dressing in shitty late 1960s / early 1970s clothes and dancing like someone’s removed your bones. They always remind me of those Mr Soft adverts in the 90s.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Intrigue? Mayhap but def made me go woah wtaf.

Toni 'Mickey' Basil turned 80 yesterday.
  • orraloon said:

Intrigue? Mayhap but def made me go woah wtaf.

Toni 'Mickey' Basil turned 80 yesterday.

Just looked at her career, she was a dancer on viva Las Vegas with elvis in 1964, did the choreography for Bowie's Diamond Dogs tour in 74 and Talking Heads Once in a Lifetime video before doing the one thing she's remembered for when she was 38!