Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Pross said:

The appeal of Northern Soul - dressing in shitty late 1960s / early 1970s clothes and dancing like someone’s removed your bones. They always remind me of those Mr Soft adverts in the 90s.

The music though? Fantastic :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited September 2023
    The £400 single-use Adidas shoe that is smashing marathon records
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/tigsit-assefa-shoes-adidas-single-use-marathon-b2417924.html
    That headline alone, there is lots to intrigue me about.

When I've built up enough mental strength I will read the article.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    I gave up when they claimed a £400 shoe is £150 more than the average running shoe. It is £150 more than the ‘super shoes’ like the Vaporfly that have come out in the last few years but the average running shoe would be around £100-£150 RRP (and generally available for less).

With that attention to detail I ruled the rest out as bollox.
  • Pross said:

I gave up when they claimed a £400 shoe is £150 more than the average running shoe. It is £150 more than the ‘super shoes’ like the Vaporfly that have come out in the last few years but the average running shoe would be around £100-£150 RRP (and generally available for less).

With that attention to detail I ruled the rest out as bollox.

I still haven't summoned the strength to read it yet. It's going to take a couple of weeks I think.

Anyway, here's a picture of Messi and some gold Adidas boots.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I wouldn't go so far as saying this intrigues me, but it baffles me. Why do people think it's funny to shout "your wheels going round" at cyclists? Is it to make it abundantly clear they are a simpleton? Do they shout at cars and buses as well?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

I wouldn't go so far as saying this intrigues me, but it baffles me. Why do people think it's funny to shout "your wheels going round" at cyclists? Is it to make it abundantly clear they are a simpleton? Do they shout at cars and buses as well?

I haven't had that before. Sounds preferable to throwing water, eggs etc.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

That's been happening since the '60s, at least.
    No, I don't get it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767

Definitely better than having things thrown at you, but just plain odd. It's not a common occurrence, but I've probably heard it half a dozen times at least. Surprised you haven't. As PB says it's not a recent thing, but I certainly couldn't ride a bike in the 60's
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Can't find the AI thread so putting this here.

They've found some pretty big gaps in ChatGPT's knowledge to the extent that it can't in some circumstances answer simple maths questions - essentially because it hasn't read about those questions.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

Definitely better than having things thrown at you, but just plain odd. It's not a common occurrence, but I've probably heard it half a dozen times at least. Surprised you haven't. As PB says it's not a recent thing, but I certainly couldn't ride a bike in the 60's
    In fairness I do have music on to drown out the noise, so tend to only notice the physical things. Maybe that is why.
  • pblakeney said:

That's been happening since the '60s, at least.
    No, I don't get it.
    You should try rowing anywhere near the great unwashed.

"Row Row Row your boat" by anyone who knows that it is you are sitting in. Very observant people will comment on which way you are facing in the boat.

M'kay. It's been a thing for 4000 years, but it's a novelty for you. I respect that.
  • To be fair it is a bit stupid facing the wrong way in a rowing boat. I know it's about using your legs n all that, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwiRIWw5ci8

Look, for sensible people.
  • HEY ASPECT! WHY R U FACEIN THE WRONG WAY!
  • To be fair it is a bit stupid facing the wrong way in a rowing boat. I know it's about using your legs n all that, but still.

Been around for ages. Banned in competition.
  • https://youtu.be/Yq5jlHYxkME?si=IRBskGvLWVed36D_

More weirdness banned by FISA. They are a bit like the UCI.

Whu kinda boot is tha?
    Is it fast?
    Is it expensive?
    Is it heavy?
    It that a canoe?
    What's it made of?

:#

How is not seeing where you're going a means for banning something?

I mean, if bikes and other forms of transport were like rowing boats there would be chaos.

They're a menace on the river!

How is not seeing where you're going a means for banning something?

I mean, if bikes and other forms of transport were like rowing boats there would be chaos.

They're a menace on the river!

The coxswain didn't have that excuse.

Whu kinda boot is tha?
    Is it fast?
    Is it expensive?
    Is it heavy?
    It that a canoe?
    What's it made of?

I'm on their side to be honest, they sound like they're just trying to help you understand the inherent design floor in your boat.
  • I mean you know a posh stiff upper lip sport to put up with that not seeing where you're going $h1t.
  • I mean you know a posh stiff upper lip sport to put up with that not seeing where you're going $h1t.

It promotes spatial awareness. You have to watch where you've been and keep correlating that with snapshots of where you are going.

Whu kinda boot is tha?
    Is it fast?
    Is it expensive?
    Is it heavy?
    It that a canoe?
    What's it made of?

I'm on their side to be honest, they sound like they're just trying to help you understand the inherent design floor in your boat.
    Flaw and floor our to different wards that mean different things
  • rjsterry
    Granted it was in a film and was very photogenic, but the fuss about the Hadrian's Wall sycamore feels a bit overblown. It's a sycamore: it will very likely regrow from the stump if left.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Granted it was in a film and was very photogenic, but the fuss about the Hadrian's Wall sycamore feels a bit overblown. It's a sycamore: it will very likely regrow from the stump if left.

Weird thing for someone to do. I know wood has value, but if that is the case then they needed to take the tree with them.
  • rjsterry said:

Give it two or three generations, be as good as new.

The British ambivalence to trees has always baffled me.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Weird thing for someone to do. I know wood has value, but if that is the case then they needed to take the tree with them.
    Very odd. Looked semi-professional - cut line marked out - but the police have arrested a 16-year-old.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Very odd. Looked semi-professional - cut line marked out - but the police have arrested a 16-year-old.
    That made me think he was practising, but still an odd thing to do with a chainsaw in the middle of the night.

Whu kinda boot is tha?
    Is it fast?
    Is it expensive?
    Is it heavy?
    It that a canoe?
    What's it made of?

Flaw and floor our to different wards that mean different things
    $h1t.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

That made me think he was practising, but still an odd thing to do with a chainsaw in the middle of the night.

Goes along with graffiti and smashing bus shelters. I think they enjoy the shock that their actions provoke... destruction of things people like is bound to get a reaction.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Goes along with graffiti and smashing bus shelters. I think they enjoy the shock that their actions provoke... destruction of things people like is bound to get a reaction.
    Think those tend to be opportunist. Would be odd to walk a couple of miles in a storm carrying a large chainsaw just to vandalise something.
    Pinnacle Monzonite