Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Granted it was in a film and was very photogenic, but the fuss about the Hadrian's Wall sycamore feels a bit overblown. It's a sycamore: it will very likely regrow from the stump if left.

Weird thing for someone to do. I know wood has value, but if that is the case then they needed to take the tree with them.
    Very odd. Looked semi-professional - cut line marked out - but the police have arrested a 16-year-old.
    That made me think he was practising, but still an odd thing to do with a chainsaw in the middle of the night.

Goes along with graffiti and smashing bus shelters. I think they enjoy the shock that their actions provoke... destruction of things people like is bound to get a reaction.
    Think those tend to be opportunist. Would be odd to walk a couple of miles in a storm carrying a large chainsaw just to vandalise something.
    Quite possibly came from a dare so would have been planned in those circumstances.
    #purespeculation
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Granted it was in a film and was very photogenic, but the fuss about the Hadrian's Wall sycamore feels a bit overblown. It's a sycamore: it will very likely regrow from the stump if left.

Weird thing for someone to do. I know wood has value, but if that is the case then they needed to take the tree with them.
    Very odd. Looked semi-professional - cut line marked out - but the police have arrested a 16-year-old.
    That made me think he was practising, but still an odd thing to do with a chainsaw in the middle of the night.

Goes along with graffiti and smashing bus shelters. I think they enjoy the shock that their actions provoke... destruction of things people like is bound to get a reaction.
    Think those tend to be opportunist. Would be odd to walk a couple of miles in a storm carrying a large chainsaw just to vandalise something.
    There'll be a video on a phone.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Ha! Quad bike or motorbike. Yes, yes, he's only 16. My niece could drive a car at 9.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    They should just claim it is an artistic political statement. It should then be acceptable as appears to be the case with graffiti (especially when it leaves you with a wall worth millions).

I hope no-one gets inspiration and cuts down the lonely tree at Llyn Padarn before I get up there to photograph it next month.
  • Didn't the one at Glastonbury also get burned down?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Can't help feeling that if it prompts some more active tree planting in a fairly treeless bit of Northumberland then that will be a net gain. The tree was picturesque but otherwise unremarkable.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Can't help feeling that if it prompts some more active tree planting in a fairly treeless bit of Northumberland then that will be a net gain. The tree was picturesque but otherwise unremarkable.

You could argue it was mainly picturesque as there were no other trees in the area. The images wouldn't have the same impact if there was a decent sized copse in the foreground let alone a forest.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Ha! Quad bike or motorbike. Yes, yes, he's only 16. My niece could drive a car at 9.

It's also an extremely competently executed felling for a 16 year old doing it for a dare. Something is up .
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

It's also an extremely competently executed felling for a 16 year old doing it for a dare. Something is up .

I must admit it seems very weird. The most likely people at that age to be very competent chainsaw operators are likely to be involved in farming or forestry, and I can't imagine someone from that sort of background would have disrespected an historic & famous tree in a location like that. Even the most boneheaded farmer mutilating the countryside would be doing it for some sort of perceived operational gain (see the river that was 'improved', for instance), rather than pure vandalism.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/21/farmer-jailed-for-damaging-river-lugg-herefordshire
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Man in his 60s now in custody. This is the biggest manhunt in Northumberland since Moat was on the loose.

• mrb123 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Man in his 60s now in custody. This is the biggest manhunt in Northumberland since Moat was on the loose.

They need to make a trunk call and call in the Special Branch.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You're stretching my knowledge of farming teenagers.
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

If I didn’t know better I’d have thought the tree was affecting a planning application (although you then usually wait for a storm and pull it over so it looks like it got uprooted).
  • rjsterry
    Man in 60s arrested in connection with felled tree.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

You're stretching my knowledge of farming teenagers.
    Ahem.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    The amount of people near me who have taken to paying a company to come and cut their lawns every week or two. The front lawns are about 25m2 or less and the back is maybe 40m2. It takes me longer to get the mower out and clean it afterwards than it does to actually cut the grass (which takes about 5 - 10 minutes). I'm lazy but even I would draw a line at paying for something I can do in less than half an hour total and that needs doing may once a fortnight at most.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    edited October 2023
    Pross said:

The amount of people near me who have taken to paying a company to come and cut their lawns every week or two. The front lawns are about 25m2 or less and the back is maybe 40m2. It takes me longer to get the mower out and clean it afterwards than it does to actually cut the grass (which takes about 5 - 10 minutes). I'm lazy but even I would draw a line at paying for something I can do in less than half an hour total and that needs doing may once a fortnight at most.

Our 14 year old grandson started lawn cutting and weeding in the summer and coined it in. Now that is tapering off he has diversified to bin cleaning. Some people are simply lazy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Our 14 year old grandson started lawn cutting and weeding in the summer and coined it in. Now that is tapering off he has diversified to bin cleaning. Some people are simply lazy.
    I used to cut the grass for a church down the road when I was around that age. I was seriously exploited the amount I got paid. I worked an entire summer and at the end I had enough to buy a jacket I'd wanted, I remember slaving away hacking down weeds for a good few hours in the heat on the day of Live Aid trying to get it done in time to get home and watch.

I can understand paying a youngster to do it but an actual professional company turning up in their liveried vans can't be cheap and we're not talking country estates or even lawns big enough to need a sit on mower.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I used to cut the grass for a church down the road when I was around that age. I was seriously exploited the amount I got paid. I worked an entire summer and at the end I had enough to buy a jacket I'd wanted, I remember slaving away hacking down weeds for a good few hours in the heat on the day of Live Aid trying to get it done in time to get home and watch.

I can understand paying a youngster to do it but an actual professional company turning up in their liveried vans can't be cheap and we're not talking country estates or even lawns big enough to need a sit on mower.

It probably says something about my brain that I had to Google for a 'shït-on mower'.

• This is a sign we are not in a recession surely?

If I can pay someone to do something that I don't really enjoy, count me in.

I quite enjoy mowing the lawn but the rest of gardening bores me.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    Perhaps the Tories are just riffing, then they will get their $h1t together come the election
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

This is a sign we are not in a recession surely?

Yeah it is not necessarily laziness, my garden looks terrible but it's because I prefer to pedal my bike for several hours rather than digging up weeds on my days off.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    At this time of year, I'm quite tempted by the idea of having someone else mow the lawn. I don't mind doing it but it's too dark when I get home from work and if it rains at the weekend I don't have the opportunity to do it myself.
  • Pross

I’m generally the same but for the sake of half an hour a fortnight? It hardly seems worth it. The number of people doing it is what surprised me the most, if they all used the same person I could understand it more but it is at least two companies doing 4 or 5 houses out of around 15.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    Pross said:

I’m generally the same but for the sake of half an hour a fortnight? It hardly seems worth it. The number of people doing it is what surprised me the most, if they all used the same person I could understand it more but it is at least two companies doing 4 or 5 houses out of around 15.

I must admit I have the same feeling about people who have dogs but more often than not pay people to walk them for them. At least a lawns haven't evolved to form emotional attachments to humans.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I must admit it seems very weird. The most likely people at that age to be very competent chainsaw operators are likely to be involved in farming or forestry, and I can't imagine someone from that sort of background would have disrespected an historic & famous tree in a location like that. Even the most boneheaded farmer mutilating the countryside would be doing it for some sort of perceived operational gain (see the river that was 'improved', for instance), rather than pure vandalism.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/21/farmer-jailed-for-damaging-river-lugg-herefordshire
    Ironic given the flagrant dumping of sewerage from the main water companies.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross

Pross said:

I must admit I have the same feeling about people who have dogs but more often than not pay people to walk them for them. At least a lawns haven't evolved to form emotional attachments to humans.
    There’s actually an overlap there with my one neighbour. I guess if they’re in work all day getting someone to take the dog out makes some sense but I’ve actually seen them hand the dog over to a walker who then drives the dog off somewhere.
  • Pross said:

But the other way around....you have no idea
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    Spotify have an audiobook section now and have made some recommendations.
    I have little interest in the ones based on my book preferences but the ones selected based on my music preferences look pretty good