Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960

In fairness, it's a thread that never really delivered on the promise of the title. Click bait for a minority of one perhaps.

It does tell ypu it could be dull in the title BB. You only have yourself to blame.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,000
    edited August 2023

In fairness, it's a thread that never really delivered on the promise of the title. Click bait for a minority of one perhaps.

It does tell ypu it could be dull in the title BB. You only have yourself to blame.

Given it was Stevo's thread for Rick, it's not doing badly at 106 pages. And yes, it was Stevo's way of keeping the vroom vroom thread pure. As I have no interest in vroom vroom at all, the 'boring' thread is actually more interesting for me.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    What's with this horrendous penchant for compartmentalisation BT?

If you keep fracturing everything down, then you'll end up 100 threads each presided over by one individual.
    Anyhoo, do you sit at a café with mates and clearly delineate what you can talk about and what you cannot and in strict order?!
    That is absurd and implausible so therefore, cross over subjects in every day conversation is natural and if Cake stop is to remain fluid and interchangeable, this practice is bonkers.

Is Cake stop suffering from a collective autism?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055

Given it was Stevo's thread for Rick, it's not doing badly at 106 pages. And yes, it was Stevo's way of keeping the vroom vroom thread pure. As I have no interest in vroom vroom at all, the 'boring' thread is actually more interesting for me.
    Maybe somebody who isn't interested in cars saying that the car thread is boring should go in the Irony Thread?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe somebody who isn't interested in cars saying that the car thread is boring should go in the Irony Thread?
    Not really irony is it? Someone saying that a thread about a topic that doesn't interest them isn't very interesting to them.

Sometimes, things just "aren't for me" - the car thread is happily sitting at 1.4k unread. Same goes for the mountain bike section.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,000
    pinno said:

If you keep fracturing everything down, then you'll end up 100 threads each presided over by one individual.
    Anyhoo, do you sit at a café with mates and clearly delineate what you can talk about and what you cannot and in strict order?!
    That is absurd and implausible so therefore, cross over subjects in every day conversation is natural and if Cake stop is to remain fluid and interchangeable, this practice is bonkers.

Do you have a filing system on your computer so you can find stuff? If you went into a library, would you want to trawl through random books on crochet and assorted needlework which had been put on the shelves on books on classic cars?

I'm not sure how many threads I've created, but it's not that many - some because they interest me, such as language and words, that aren't going to interest others, and others because it gets frustrating when general interest threads (intriguing, learnt, annoy, etc) get spammed by one topic which obviously interests a lot of people (e.g., bands) and deserves (IMHO) a dedicated thread.
  • pinno
    edited August 2023

pinno said:

Do you have a filing system on your computer so you can find stuff? If you went into a library, would you want to trawl through random books on crochet and assorted needlework which had been put on the shelves on books on classic cars?

I'm not sure how many threads I've created, but it's not that many - some because they interest me, such as language and words, that aren't going to interest others, and others because it gets frustrating when general interest threads (intriguing, learnt, annoy, etc) get spammed by one topic which obviously interests a lot of people (e.g., bands) and deserves (IMHO) a dedicated thread.
    That's your opinion and though you are entitled to it, I disagree.
    The subject will soon fizzle out and be replaced by something else.

...and this:

...is just utter codswallop.
    Nobody comes into Cake stop to 'find stuff'. It sets no standard for informed opinion.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,159
    pinno said:

...is just utter codswallop.
    Nobody comes into Cake stop to 'find stuff'. It sets no standard for informed opinion.

Never a truer word typed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    If a thread goes down an uninteresting track, I simply don't post. Nothing is static and it will soon change.
  • pinno
    Back OT. B of E lending rate: 6.25%.

...and Lloyds inform me that they are gong to pay me 1.9% interest on any saving above £100.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    pblakeney said:

I think Arctic Monkeys are the only band from the noughties indie scene successfully creating new music now? Can’t think of another really.
    All the rest are milking their minor success?

Blur released a new album in the past couple of months?
    Google.
    Google what? That blur are a 90’s band?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680

Stevo_666 said:

Not really irony is it? Someone saying that a thread about a topic that doesn't interest them isn't very interesting to them.

Sometimes, things just "aren't for me" - the car thread is happily sitting at 1.4k unread. Same goes for the mountain bike section.
    Would it be more ironic if someone, say, posted about a thread being "finished" over and over and over again thereby keeping the thread going..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pinno said:

Back OT. B of E lending rate: 6.25%.

...and Lloyds inform me that they are gong to pay me 1.9% interest on any saving above £100.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/

Shop around!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055

Stevo_666 said:

Missing the point. It's more about how interesting the anti car brigade tend to be :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    The UN weighing in on kissgate.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

The whole bin fire is just weird.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

Latest cause celebre.
    There'll be another once this is done with.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    I'm intrigued whether Neville has offered his view.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Latest cause celebre.
    As a way to completely ruin a pretty impressive sporting achievement it takes some beating. Also the Spanish guy's inability to just stop digging is impressive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Latest cause celebre.
    As a way to completely ruin a pretty impressive sporting achievement it takes some beating. Also the Spanish guy's inability to just stop digging is impressive.
    I can usually ignore these kind of media storms quite easily but this one is so insane I am actually looking forward to see how it all pans out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    It's so incredibly Spanish...even the hysterical Catholicism...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    When his mother went on hunger strike - that's when I was IN.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767

When his mother went on hunger strike - that's when I was IN.

I’ve clearly not been following this closely enough to keep up with this level of batshit.
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    Does the MET Office have a shift change at 08:00? (Rhetorical).
    I've noticed a trend for the forecast at 08:30 to be very different to that at 07:30.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    pblakeney said:

I've noticed a trend for the forecast at 08:30 to be very different to that at 07:30.

I've often wondered that it goes a bit loopy on a bank holiday as well , also that the BBC (use other metrologists) is different the majority of the time. If both are the same the forecast is a good shout.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

I spend more time on Ventusky or Netweather.tv for an immediate forecast.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I spend more time on Ventusky or Netweather.tv for an immediate forecast.
    Yeah, I cross refer.
    Met Office is easier as a first check point as all data is on one screen.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

pblakeney said:

I've often wondered that it goes a bit loopy on a bank holiday as well , also that the BBC (use other metrologists) is different the majority of the time. If both are the same the forecast is a good shout.
    The BBC seem to have a different forecast on TV to what their weather app shows. They also say things like 'temperatures could reach 25 degrees in London today' while the map behind them shows something else.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

The BBC seem to have a different forecast on TV to what their weather app shows. They also say things like 'temperatures could reach 25 degrees in London today' while the map behind them shows something else.
    I treat "could" with the same distain as "from" in pricing.
    Veronese68 wrote: