Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

What goes through the head of the left hook driver?

Well a middle aged woman did just that to me…into her own drive. Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper

So I thought I’d find out and maybe attempt to save another cyclist a similar fate.

Her justifications were as follows.

1) I was indicating
    2) you cyclists just want never want slow down. (I countered with “apparently neither do you” which followed with the rather insulting..)
    3)…”I’m not gonna crawl at 2mph to wait for you”
    And then the winner
    4) “cyclists should ride in a way to not get in the way of cars”

I was quite pleased with myself. Kept it calm, civil.

Even managed a small joke “I’ll try and not take that personally” when she claimed I was cycling at 2mph.

Anyway, hopefully next time she sees a cyclist she might just think twice, though I won’t keep my hopes up.

Her first point point is a fair one. And you were behind her. Did you try to brake?
    Are you on a wind up or do you not understand what a left hook is?
    What part of she indicated and he was behind her did you not understand?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well a middle aged woman did just that to me…into her own drive. Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper

So I thought I’d find out and maybe attempt to save another cyclist a similar fate.

1) I was indicating
    2) you cyclists just want never want slow down. (I countered with “apparently neither do you” which followed with the rather insulting..)
    And then the winner

Even managed a small joke “I’ll try and not take that personally” when she claimed I was cycling at 2mph.

Anyway, hopefully next time she sees a cyclist she might just think twice, though I won’t keep my hopes up.

Her first point point is a fair one. And you were behind her. Did you try to brake?
    Dodger666 on a wind up? Shirley not?
    Good attempt at a wind up, but you're not quite there yet ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

So if someone overtakes you and immediately turns left across your path it’s fine as long as they indicate? It sounds like an example of the bad driving that you were moaning no-one does anything about because they’re concentrating on speeding.
  • Pross
    Besides I thought you were automatically opposed to anything turning left
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

Well we know what part of the highway code you don't understand.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Besides I thought you were automatically opposed to anything turning left

:D
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

So if someone overtakes you and immediately turns left across your path it’s fine as long as they indicate? It sounds like an example of the bad driving that you were moaning no-one does anything about because they’re concentrating on speeding.
    It's going to depend on how far ahead they are and whether they did indeed overtake them immediately turn left - Rick doesn't mention that she did.

However it is clear that she was ahead of him.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

You mean this bit?

People cycling have priority when going straight ahead at junctions. The code clarifies that when people cycling are going straight ahead at a junction, they have priority over traffic waiting to turn into or out of a side road, unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise.

People cycling are asked to watch out for people driving intending to turn across their path, as people driving ahead may not be able to see them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I think the latter
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

You mean this bit?

People cycling have priority when going straight ahead at junctions. The code clarifies that when people cycling are going straight ahead at a junction, they have priority over traffic waiting to turn into or out of a side road, unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise.

People cycling are asked to watch out for people driving intending to turn across their path, as people driving ahead may not be able to see them.
    Doesn’t seem relevant in the case of someone overtaking you and then immediately turning left. It’s a bit hard to watch out for someone behind you and when the driver has just overtaken it’s reasonable to assume they saw you in the process.

That said, having to think for drivers is pretty much something any cyclist on the road has to do on every ride to avoid injury.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

It's going to depend on how far ahead they are and whether they did indeed overtake them immediately turn left - Rick doesn't mention that she did.

It’s implied in him talking about a left hook and that he touched the car with his tyre. That is what a left hook manoeuvre is.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2023

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I think the latter
    You've just proved that you can be both patronising and wrong using just 4 words :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

It’s implied in him talking about a left hook and that he touched the car with his tyre. That is what a left hook manoeuvre is.
    You seem to have missed that second paragraph. Could well be that he didn't anticipate well enough and/or brake hard enough. If I overtake someone, how far ahead do I need to be before turning left for it to be acceptable to you?

• rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I think the latter
    You've just proved that you can be both patronising and wrong using just 4 words :smile:
    Not seeing much evidence that you understand what a left hook is.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I think the latter
    Not seeing much evidence that you understand what a left hook is.
    See my post above.
  • Pross
    edited August 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

You seem to have missed that second paragraph. Could well be that he didn't anticipate well enough and/or brake hard enough. If I overtake someone, how far ahead do I need to be before turning left for it to be acceptable to you?

Far enough that I don’t have to react or take avoiding actions.

Also not sure how you would interpret “Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper” as anything other it being very close.

If someone overtook you in Der Panzer on a motorway then cut across you forcing you to brake I suspect you would be annoyed. Why should it be up to you to take avoiding action because of their impatience / bad judgement?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

You'd think that should be obvious
  • rick_chasey
    Left hook into your own drive is extra special tbf
  • Pross

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I’m starting to wonder if I’ve been too kind in assuming he’s on a wind up as it’s not possible to so stupid.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Stevo, do you actually own a bicycle?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

He does. Norman Tebbit gave it to him.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,000
    edited August 2023

I just checked his social media, and I can confirm that he does.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    'I was indicating'

And therefore you should assume that I have taped over my wing mirrors.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

I’m starting to wonder if I’ve been too kind in assuming he’s on a wind up as it’s not possible to so stupid.
    It is pretty well known in Cake Stop that Rick is often not the most objective poster and that he often gets into disputes with other road users or finds 'issues' which many of us only seem to experience very rarely. So I think Rick needs to show us some helmet cam footage of the alleged incident otherwise we'll have to give this motorist the benefit of the doubt, especially as she isn't here to defend herself.

Another interesting point is that Rick has said he doesn't like dogs but he appears to have a Welsh poodle ;)
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

He does. Norman Tebbit gave it to him.
    :smiley:

Pity he didn't dish out a few more to people on here...
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

It is pretty well known in Cake Stop that Rick is often not the most objective poster and that he often gets into disputes with other road users or finds 'issues' which many of us only seem to experience very rarely. So I think Rick needs to show us some helmet cam footage of the alleged incident otherwise we'll have to give this motorist the benefit of the doubt, especially as she isn't here to defend herself.

Another interesting point is that Rick has said he doesn't like dogs but he appears to have a Welsh poodle ;)
    Yeah, it’s clear I never disagree with Rick on any subject.

Speaking of pets it’s about time you put a photo of Shortfall in the pet thread 😂
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ddraver said:

Went to a local festival (?) Thing last night. Mostly to see Bad Manners but stayed for some band called the Kaiser Chiefs afterwards too.

Had a quick convo with a foetus behind the bar charging me 7 quid for a beer about how the Kaiser chiefs only really had one song - Ruby.

Turns out they had quite a few more than that and also turns out, intriguingly, that I can remember all the words to them....

I was back at uni for an hour

We went see them earlier in the year, free tickets courtesy of cousin Michael who is the road manager. We ( our side of the family) always thought he was bull sh!thing when he said he was in the music business. I thought they were pretty good even though like your good self I only knew one song, the riot one.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    edited August 2023
    Ruby ruby ruby ruby.... 🤔

though Everyday I love you less and less... Oh My God!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

You mean this bit?

Yes.
  • Pross
    orraloon said:

Ruby ruby ruby ruby.... 🤔

though Everyday I love you less and less... Oh My God!

I Predict A Riot

Employment was a good album. Thought they went downhill after that and that Ruby is their most overrated / overplayed song.