Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

orraloon said:

Ruby ruby ruby ruby.... 🤔

though Everyday I love you less and less... Oh My God!

I Predict A Riot

Employment was a good album. Thought they went downhill after that and that Ruby is their most overrated / overplayed song.
    However what myself and Ddriver are saying they are not too shabby as a live band. Which is really what it is all about.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    It was the being able to sing every word that impressed me.

I was at uni during the Indie renaissance of the 2000s so it perhaps shouldn't have surprised me but, the way they all just tripped off my tongue from nowhere...

Is it a more national think or just happens to be near me..? It was a fairly nondescript festival that has suddenly started getting some not-current-but-once-pretty-cool bands headlining. The Kooks are there now (I can hear them over the hill), last year we had Madness and Tom Jones...

It attracts a weird sort of crowd. A mix of families with young kids, oldies (ma and pa raver went to see Big Tom) and then you have the local kids who didn't get glasto tickets clearly experiencing MDMA for the first time. It's rather fun...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2023
    ddraver said:

It was the being able to sing every word that impressed me.

I was at uni during the Indie renaissance of the 2000s so it perhaps shouldn't have surprised me but, the way they all just tripped off my tongue from nowhere...

Is it a more national think or just happens to be near me..? It was a fairly nondescript festival that has suddenly started getting some not-current-but-once-pretty-cool bands headlining. The Kooks are there now (I can hear them over the hill), last year we had Madness and Tom Jones...

It attracts a weird sort of crowd. A mix of families with young kids, oldies (ma and pa raver went to see Big Tom) and then you have the local kids who didn't get glasto tickets clearly experiencing MDMA for the first time. It's rather fun...

Always interesting which bands survive once the wave passes.

Basically Arctic Monkeys.

Can’t tell you how big they were when I was studying in Sheffield in 06-09.

Bought Alex Turner a drink in Bungalow and Bears and later down the road the drummer opened a bar. Was pretty cool.
  • ddraver
    I'd maintain that, without the drugs, The Libertines would have been megastars equal to the biggest British bands...
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Kaiser Chiefs were/are a one album indie landfill band who ruined any credibility by the lead singer chasing a low rent tv career. Always surprised how long and continuous the festival careers are of such bands - Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, 2 Door Cinema Club etc.

Agree the Libertines could have been so much more and equally disappointed they got back together and rinse the greatest hits shows ad infinitum. Should have imploded and left it alone and ensured a cool legacy.,
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,159

Always surprised how long and continuous the festival careers are of such bands - Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, 2 Door Cinema Club etc.

Simple. Keep playing the tracks that the "slightly older" remember from their yoof.
    Festivals aren't really places to showcase new material.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    webboo said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

I Predict A Riot

Employment was a good album. Thought they went downhill after that and that Ruby is their most overrated / overplayed song.
    However what myself and Ddriver are saying they are not too shabby as a live band. Which is really what it is all about.
    Completely agree, saw them doing a small album release gig in Kingston a few years back. Certainly put on a good show.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

What goes through the head of the left hook driver?

Well a middle aged woman did just that to me…into her own drive. Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper

So I thought I’d find out and maybe attempt to save another cyclist a similar fate.

Her justifications were as follows.

1) I was indicating
    2) you cyclists just want never want slow down. (I countered with “apparently neither do you” which followed with the rather insulting..)
    3)…”I’m not gonna crawl at 2mph to wait for you”
    And then the winner
    4) “cyclists should ride in a way to not get in the way of cars”

I was quite pleased with myself. Kept it calm, civil.

Even managed a small joke “I’ll try and not take that personally” when she claimed I was cycling at 2mph.

Anyway, hopefully next time she sees a cyclist she might just think twice, though I won’t keep my hopes up.

Her first point point is a fair one. And you were behind her. Did you try to brake?
    Are you on a wind up or do you not understand what a left hook is?
    What part of she indicated and he was behind her did you not understand?
    Well we know what part of the highway code you don't understand.
    You mean this bit?

People cycling have priority when going straight ahead at junctions. The code clarifies that when people cycling are going straight ahead at a junction, they have priority over traffic waiting to turn into or out of a side road, unless road signs or markings indicate otherwise.

People cycling are asked to watch out for people driving intending to turn across their path, as people driving ahead may not be able to see them.
    Yes.
    OK. The woman wasn't turning at a junction - it was her driveway. And note the second paragraph.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,055
    pangolin said:

:D

Another valuable contribution from you, I suppose its better than your usual efforts :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023

webboo said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

I Predict A Riot

Completely agree, saw them doing a small album release gig in Kingston a few years back. Certainly put on a good show.
    Their problem was, in an era of pretty aggressively try hard cool, which I think the indie trash scene was a big offender, Kaiser Chiefs were about as cool as a slipped disc, and were largely liked by massive lager swilling groups of men who could still scream the choruses 9 pints in.

Confirmed entirely by the fact the front man went onto the “voice” as a judge.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    God. I quite like the Kaiser chiefs!
  • ddraver
    I think that's a little harsh from Rick...

Out of the manure of the Indie Trash scene, they were perhaps not a rose, but a solid tomato plant at least...

- @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Tbh I was never cool enough / already a grumpy old man by 19 / too into my dance music to get into any of the indie stuff.

So I thought it was all sh!t. Nearest I would get would be Electro Trash which I thought was super cool back then.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,000
    Thread police on standby... 👮‍♂️🚨
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

It will fizzle out Sgt Pepper.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

It will fizzle out Sgt Pepper.

Roger Roger.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    I think Arctic Monkeys are the only band from the noughties indie scene successfully creating new music now? Can’t think of another really.
    All the rest are milking their minor success?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney

I think Arctic Monkeys are the only band from the noughties indie scene successfully creating new music now? Can’t think of another really.

Blur released a new album in the past couple of months?
    Google.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Yup though the Vick Reeves club singer bit is wearing rather thin nowadays
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    pblakeney said:

Google.
    Blur = indie?!
    Britpop.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Google.
    Blur = indie?!
    Britpop.
    Blur = 00s?!
    Definitely 90s
  • pblakeney
    Tashman said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Google.
    Blur = indie?!
    Britpop.
    Blur = 00s?!
    Definitely 90s
    Definitely, maybe. 🤣
    My bad. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

👮‍♂️🚨

Music, did you say? Let me help you: https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120407/the-gert-big-music-thread#latest

Where's the ULEZ thread?
  • briantrumpet

👮‍♂️🚨

Music, did you say? Let me help you: https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13120407/the-gert-big-music-thread#latest

Where's the ULEZ thread?

Eh? It's in the bad-things-about-cars thread, leaving the cars thread for the aren't-cars-fantastic! tendency.
  • TheBigBean

👮‍♂️🚨

Where's the ULEZ thread?

Eh? It's in the bad-things-about-cars thread, leaving the cars thread for the aren't-cars-fantastic! tendency.
    Isn't quibbling over type of car (ULEZ compliant, super cool gears, convertible etc.) something that should be done on a thread about cars?

It's like discussing the best cut of meat on a vegan thread.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960

👮‍♂️🚨

Where's the ULEZ thread?

Isn't quibbling over type of car (ULEZ compliant, super cool gears, convertible etc.) something that should be done on a thread about cars?

And what is worse, you are forced to read it, BB.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

👮‍♂️🚨

Where's the ULEZ thread?

I thought that other thread was created to keep killjoys out of the vroom vroom thread.
  • TheBigBean
    In fairness, it's a thread that never really delivered on the promise of the title. Click bait for a minority of one perhaps.