Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Hyperloop = train that can't carry many people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Hyperloop = train that can't carry many people.

Good luck tunneling the Atlantic, too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062

My biggest concern would be shifts in the tectonic plates.
  • focuszing723
    Concrete tubes on the sea floor? Atmospheric pressure?
  • focuszing723
    If you are at sea level, each square inch of your surface is subjected to a force of 14.6 pounds. The pressure increases about one atmosphere for every 10 meters of water depth. At a depth of 5,000 meters the pressure will be approximately 500 atmospheres or 500 times greater than the pressure at sea level.
  • First.Aspect

You could use carbon fibre.

Oh, wait....
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    How fast is it supposed to go, and how does that compare to a plane?
  • First.Aspect
    Hyperloops are a silly idea. They make monorails look sensible.
  • focuszing723

Well...Take the air out of the tubes and like damn quick, but that $h1t ain't going to be easy. Exciting though in a "will I make it" kind of way.
  • focuszing723

You could use carbon fibre.

Oh, wait....
    Yeah but, recently...
  • focuszing723
    Imagine how money and resources are put into air travel though and then there's the pollution. Divert all of that to hyperloops? Find the best routes in terms of geology...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

Well...Take the air out of the tubes and like damn quick, but that $h1t ain't going to be easy. Exciting though in a "will I make it" kind of way.
    Always what I'm looking for to start and end a holiday.
  • First.Aspect

Imagine how money and resources are put into air travel though and then there's the pollution. Divert all of that to hyperloops? Find the best routes in terms of geology...

If you pump out the hyperloop, will cars have to come with their own oxygen supply for long journeys? Or is asphyxiation and Co2 poisoning the price of progress?
  • First.Aspect
    I do quite enjoy these grand pieces of blue sky thinking, but then I also pity the enthusiastic and technically extremely capable people dedicating years of their lives to something that will never happen.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    The Wikipedia section of criticism is certainly quite funny.
  • focuszing723
    Hate you lot sometimes, completely agnostic towards greatness. If only I could block you all this would be a utopic place.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023

🤣

You remember that other techbro who thought he could visit the Titanic?

I suppose if you are already under 40 atmospheres of pressure, what's one more?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

My biggest concern would be shifts in the tectonic plates.

Given that not that long ago an island just appeared in a matter of days off the coast of Iceland, and that junction between two plates runs the length of the Atlantic...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    rjsterry said:

🤣

You remember that other techbro who thought he could visit the Titanic?

I suppose if you are already under 40 atmospheres of pressure, what's one more?
    IIRC it's more like 400 atmospheres, but the end effect if things go wrong is the same.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Went to a local festival (?) Thing last night. Mostly to see Bad Manners but stayed for some band called the Kaiser Chiefs afterwards too.

Had a quick convo with a foetus behind the bar charging me 7 quid for a beer about how the Kaiser chiefs only really had one song - Ruby.

Turns out they had quite a few more than that and also turns out, intriguingly, that I can remember all the words to them....

I was back at uni for an hour
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What goes through the head of the left hook driver?

Well a middle aged woman did just that to me…into her own drive. Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper

So I thought I’d find out and maybe attempt to save another cyclist a similar fate.

Her justifications were as follows.

1) I was indicating
    2) you cyclists just want never want slow down. (I countered with “apparently neither do you” which followed with the rather insulting..)
    3)…”I’m not gonna crawl at 2mph to wait for you”
    And then the winner
    4) “cyclists should ride in a way to not get in the way of cars”

I was quite pleased with myself. Kept it calm, civil.

Even managed a small joke “I’ll try and not take that personally” when she claimed I was cycling at 2mph.

Anyway, hopefully next time she sees a cyclist she might just think twice, though I won’t keep my hopes up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Didn’t you point out that slowing down from 2mph would have been a bit difficult and that she was so thick she completely contradicted herself?
  • Pross
    The Spanish FA accusing the player in ‘kissing gate’ (that one actually works and I haven’t heard it used so I’m coining it) of lying when it was broadcast to millions on worldwide TV.
  • rick_chasey
    Look the whole left hook thing is stupid.

I could have just called her a stupid c”nt which was my first instinct but what good does that do?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056

Well a middle aged woman did just that to me…into her own drive. Close enough that my tyre did the faintest kiss on the bumper

So I thought I’d find out and maybe attempt to save another cyclist a similar fate.

1) I was indicating
    2) you cyclists just want never want slow down. (I countered with “apparently neither do you” which followed with the rather insulting..)
    And then the winner

Even managed a small joke “I’ll try and not take that personally” when she claimed I was cycling at 2mph.

Anyway, hopefully next time she sees a cyclist she might just think twice, though I won’t keep my hopes up.

Her first point point is a fair one. And you were behind her. Did you try to brake?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    If I hadn’t braked I’d be in hospital right now.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,077
    Pross said:

The Spanish FA accusing the player in ‘kissing gate’ (that one actually works and I haven’t heard it used so I’m coining it) of lying when it was broadcast to millions on worldwide TV.

Rubiales now suspended for 90 days by FIFA.
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

Her first point point is a fair one. And you were behind her. Did you try to brake?
    Are you on a wind up or do you not understand what a left hook is?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

1) I was indicating
    And then the winner

Are you on a wind up or do you not understand what a left hook is?
    Dodger666 on a wind up? Shirley not?