Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Pross said:

Might struggle for Part M compliance with houses on stilts too.

What's that?
    Part of the building regulations covering accessibility.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

I always wondered what the difference was between static caravans and mobile homes.

Whilst I want to laugh at the quip, it’s a little too close to home - there was serious flooding here 8 or 9 years ago and we witnessed quite a number of statics being swept away down the river and smashing into the bridges. The community really rallied around to find accommodation for those who lost their homes, and quite a few businesses permanently closed because of the damage. Took a good few years for the town to get back on its feet.

Sorry to hear that. It's why I didn't post it under another thread. I guess that there are quite a lot of sites that wouldn't get permission for permanent housing because of the risk of flooding.
    They should be built on stilts as is done in many other places in the world.
    Think there may be a little more to flood resilience than this.
    Go on then, tell me more. At the moment, houses that are not on stilts are built on flood plains. Then they are flooded.
    All the services and infrastructure are still in/on the ground. So while you might avoid a complete refit of the house, it's still not really habitable during flooding. I would guess that flooding in Norway is from high glacial outflow. There was something similar in Alaska where a big river changed course by a few hundred metres. Stilts aren't going to help there - the buildings were undermined and washed away along with 3-4m depth of subsoil.
    Yes, it is not a solution for a diverted river or a good one if the land is permanently flooded, but it seems like a decent option to save housing that might be flooded for a few days every 10 years. Clearly I have no idea how the sewage system would work, but I'd imagine there is probably an answer. Either way, it seems like a better idea than building on floodplains and then complaining about flooding.
    We should avoid building on flood plains. And put in more mitigation upstream. There are also ways of building that are more flood resilient without resorting to stilts
    What's wrong with stilts? You sound like I have proposed something contemptible.
    Nothing in themselves, just that there are easier and more effective approaches. It's a lot of extra building which doesn't provide usable space. It also means deeper foundations as you are concentrating the weight of the building on a small surface area. They make more sense in a continuously wet area like marshland,
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

I always wondered what the difference was between static caravans and mobile homes.

Whilst I want to laugh at the quip, it’s a little too close to home - there was serious flooding here 8 or 9 years ago and we witnessed quite a number of statics being swept away down the river and smashing into the bridges. The community really rallied around to find accommodation for those who lost their homes, and quite a few businesses permanently closed because of the damage. Took a good few years for the town to get back on its feet.

Sorry to hear that. It's why I didn't post it under another thread. I guess that there are quite a lot of sites that wouldn't get permission for permanent housing because of the risk of flooding.
    Go on then, tell me more. At the moment, houses that are not on stilts are built on flood plains. Then they are flooded.
    All the services and infrastructure are still in/on the ground. So while you might avoid a complete refit of the house, it's still not really habitable during flooding. I would guess that flooding in Norway is from high glacial outflow. There was something similar in Alaska where a big river changed course by a few hundred metres. Stilts aren't going to help there - the buildings were undermined and washed away along with 3-4m depth of subsoil.
    Yes, it is not a solution for a diverted river or a good one if the land is permanently flooded, but it seems like a decent option to save housing that might be flooded for a few days every 10 years. Clearly I have no idea how the sewage system would work, but I'd imagine there is probably an answer. Either way, it seems like a better idea than building on floodplains and then complaining about flooding.
    We should avoid building on flood plains. And put in more mitigation upstream. There are also ways of building that are more flood resilient without resorting to stilts
    What's wrong with stilts? You sound like I have proposed something contemptible.
    Nothing in themselves, just that there are easier and more effective approaches. It's a lot of extra building which doesn't provide usable space. It also means deeper foundations as you are concentrating the weight of the building on a small surface area. They make more sense in a continuously wet area like marshland,
    Such as beavers. Past a certain point, they self replicate. Very cost effective.
  • First.Aspect
    https://velo.outsideonline.com/urban/recycled-plastic-roads-urbanist-update/

Am I missing something here? (a) it isn't new and (b) surely it is a fantastically good way to generate plastic microparticles?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

Am I missing something here? (a) it isn't new and (b) surely it is a fantastically good way to generate plastic microparticles?

Surely this should be called plasphalt or asstic.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

Such as beavers. Past a certain point, they self replicate. Very cost effective.
    Yes. And introducing more woodland to the upper parts of river basins. Also undoing the straightening and canalisation that was previously popular.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How far can someone get from their phone in the 10 seconds between texting you and you ringing them?

Far enough from the phone not to hear, every time.
  • rjsterry

Can't actually read this due to the clusterf*** of requests to accept cookies and subscribe, but would agree, using waste plastic as aggregate in a highly abraded situation sounds like a good way to create two new problems with each one solved.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Can't actually read this due to the clusterf*** of requests to accept cookies and subscribe, but would agree, using waste plastic as aggregate in a highly abraded situation sounds like a good way to create two new problems with each one solved.
    What that publisher has done to Velonews and Cyclingtips is one for the annoyances thread. Since most of what they put out is available in a myriad of other places for free, the paywall model is surely idiotic. Its not like it avoids the plethora of advertising banners and pop ups. Shame because initially CyclingTips was worth visiting. Then they sacked several of the best journos and paywalled it.

You can't teach stupid.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

Yes. And introducing more woodland to the upper parts of river basins. Also undoing the straightening and canalisation that was previously popular.
    Getting something in place to make SuDS schemes better would be a good start too. England is lagging behind Wales on that side of things at present, Wales has introduced SuDS Approval Bodies as part of a statutory process. Basically the local planning authority now has to approve all SuDS proposals whereas in England it is still a bit inconsistent and non-statutory.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Something on Nextdoor website about lost leads. Someone saying they'd lost a lead that was of sentimantal value because their dog had wriggled out of it. Surely if one end is attached to a dog the other end should be held by a human.
    Then I was reminded of the rule through early summer that dogs in Richmond and Bushy Parks should be on a lead due to young deer and protective mothers, I saw several dogs running round with leads trailing behind them. Presumably so the ignorant twunt of an owner could say they were complying with the rule as the dog was on a lead.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

No more illustrated than with the Mississippi.
    After another huge Danube flood (2009) many countries where the river flowed through them elected to restore flood plains, compensate farmers for having land that was flood plain and keeping them as flood plain etc.
    The results were remarkable: a rare species of deer who's habitat was amongst Reeds was revitalised, the areas of flood plain were restored in terms of biodiversity, flooding was reduced significantly, amongst other benefits.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

How far can someone get from their phone in the 10 seconds between texting you and you ringing them?

You know it means they don't want to or can't talk to you. This could cover at least half my day.
  • rick_chasey

You know it means they don't want to or can't talk to you. This could cover at least half my day.
    When the text is “can you speak now?” That’s unlikely
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Just walked past a ferrari with a roof rack.
  • pinno

There's quite a bit of that stuff on the website Crank and piston:

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    edited August 2023
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2023
    pinno said:

This one was made of wood and looked like it was designed to carry a canoe.
  • pinno

pinno said:

POIDH
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

pinno said:

POIDH
    Found it on twitter. Looks like outside tesco in new Malden.

• It has always intrigued me why parents cycling with children will make the kids wear a helmet but not wear one themselves, still see this quite often.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    Kids are more likely to fall off?
    I always wear my helmet when I'm out with the kids as otherwise it seems a bit 'do as a say, not as I do' but realistically, I'm not going to fall off doing 10mph through the woods.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    monkimark said:

I'm not going to fall off doing 10mph through the woods.

Oh dear. Do let us know how it hurt when it now inevitably happens. 😉
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

It has always intrigued me why parents cycling with children will make the kids wear a helmet but not wear one themselves, still see this quite often.

I think I read something about them being more effective for kids.
  • First.Aspect

It has always intrigued me why parents cycling with children will make the kids wear a helmet but not wear one themselves, still see this quite often.

It is because children are more susceptible to head injury. Two sides of the same coin.

But even so, modeling behaviours is a pretty basic part of parenting isn't it?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    orraloon said:

monkimark said:

I'm not going to fall off doing 10mph through the woods.

Oh dear. Do let us know how it hurt when it now inevitably happens. 😉
    You'll know because you'll be able to hear my 7 year old laughing at me from across the country.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2023

It is because children are more susceptible to head injury. Two sides of the same coin.

Yup. My Dutch mother had a real struggle to get me to wear a helmet as she never did.

Luckily I did get around to it as a grown up so when I did smash my head the helmet took it all no problem.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002

I assume it's because children's skulls still aren't as hard as adults'. Though when I see children's helmets (or anyone's, come to that) resting jauntily somewhere on the back of the head, I'm not entirely convinced of their efficacy.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767

Exactly, you can't tell kids to do something if you're not prepared to do it yourself. They can smell a fraud a mile off.
  • First.Aspect

I assume it's because children's skulls still aren't as hard as adults'. Though when I see children's helmets (or anyone's, come to that) resting jauntily somewhere on the back of the head, I'm not entirely convinced of their efficacy.
    They will grow into them? Because we all know that an 8 year old will still like the bananas in pajamas themed helmet they chose when they were 5.

Same with the bike itself. Completely okay for it to be so vastly over sized the rider can barely see over the bars.