Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    Any more, and I'll take it over to the 'language' thread, as I suspect that others aren't so intrigued.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited August 2023

If you can read academic-ish French, the full text would be worth a read, as he references the differences between English and French, it seems... I might do so, when I've made a dent in the pile of books yet to be read.

https://journals.openedition.org/rlv/pdf/1383

Sadly not. I learnt mostly German. Germans have two systems. With commas - no significance in order - and without - nearest adjective to the noun forms the 'unit' for the next adjective but still no correct order of preference.
    Snipped for the new non-intrigued.

https://yourdailygerman.com/order-of-adjectives-german/

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Is it just my opinion or is this riding position over extended? 🤔

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

If anything it longs like he needs a longer stem or top tube. However he seems in a neutral relaxed position so it’s not clear.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Saddle looks very high - right leg appears completely straight.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    lol he's a pro rider. let's get the amateurs on the forum to say how he's wrong.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

lol he's a pro rider. let's get the amateurs on the forum to say how he's wrong.

Remind us Rick what this thread is called.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Bike looks weirdly small but maybe it's just an odd angle. Would be good to see a shot on the flat where he is actually pedalling.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

If anything it longs like he needs a longer stem or top tube. However he seems in a neutral relaxed position so it’s not clear.
    Sorry, I meant his legs. The saddle looks too high.
    Number on the bike indicates no bike swap.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2023
    pangolin said:

Bike looks weirdly small but maybe it's just an odd angle. Would be good to see a shot on the flat where he is actually pedalling.

Well, he's seated, near the bottom of the stroke with a raised heel and his leg is straight. If his heel was dropped I'd think he's stretching. It is a trivial thing that intrigued me.

Contrast and compare.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pblakeney said:

This picture looks really odd to me, as if it had been manipulated or something. Maybe it's an effect of the perspective or the shutterspeed, no idea, not saying it's 100% doctored, but the rider looks so large compared to the bike, and then the saddle height does look very different to what we're used to see.

[Googles some stuff] OK, so it seems Ben Turner is 1m 94. Maybe this is an effect of a slightly odd fit coupled with very different proportions to most cyclists.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Well, he's seated, near the bottom of the stroke with a raised heel and his leg is straight. If his heel was dropped I'd think he's stretching. It is a trivial thing that intrigued me.

Contrast and compare.

Just wondering how long it will be before jersey sleeves go below the elbow...
  • pblakeney
    drhaggis said:

This picture looks really odd to me, as if it had been manipulated or something. Maybe it's an effect of the perspective or the shutterspeed, no idea, not saying it's 100% doctored, but the rider looks so large compared to the bike, and then the saddle height does look very different to what we're used to see.

As the photographer I can tell you 100% that it has not been manipulated and was shot straight side on as he passed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    I always wondered what the difference was between static caravans and mobile homes.

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

I always wondered what the difference was between static caravans and mobile homes.

Whilst I want to laugh at the quip, it’s a little too close to home - there was serious flooding here 8 or 9 years ago and we witnessed quite a number of statics being swept away down the river and smashing into the bridges. The community really rallied around to find accommodation for those who lost their homes, and quite a few businesses permanently closed because of the damage. Took a good few years for the town to get back on its feet.
  • briantrumpet
    wavefront said:

Whilst I want to laugh at the quip, it’s a little too close to home - there was serious flooding here 8 or 9 years ago and we witnessed quite a number of statics being swept away down the river and smashing into the bridges. The community really rallied around to find accommodation for those who lost their homes, and quite a few businesses permanently closed because of the damage. Took a good few years for the town to get back on its feet.

Sorry to hear that. It's why I didn't post it under another thread. I guess that there are quite a lot of sites that wouldn't get permission for permanent housing because of the risk of flooding.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

wavefront said:

Sorry to hear that. It's why I didn't post it under another thread. I guess that there are quite a lot of sites that wouldn't get permission for permanent housing because of the risk of flooding.
    They should be built on stilts as is done in many other places in the world.
  • rjsterry

wavefront said:

Think there may be a little more to flood resilience than this.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

Go on then, tell me more. At the moment, houses that are not on stilts are built on flood plains. Then they are flooded.
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

Go on then, tell me more. At the moment, houses that are not on stilts are built on flood plains. Then they are flooded.
    I can see an easy cost free solution going forward. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

All the services and infrastructure are still in/on the ground. So while you might avoid a complete refit of the house, it's still not really habitable during flooding. I would guess that flooding in Norway is from high glacial outflow. There was something similar in Alaska where a big river changed course by a few hundred metres. Stilts aren't going to help there - the buildings were undermined and washed away along with 3-4m depth of subsoil.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

All the services and infrastructure are still in/on the ground. So while you might avoid a complete refit of the house, it's still not really habitable during flooding. I would guess that flooding in Norway is from high glacial outflow. There was something similar in Alaska where a big river changed course by a few hundred metres. Stilts aren't going to help there - the buildings were undermined and washed away along with 3-4m depth of subsoil.
    Yes, it is not a solution for a diverted river or a good one if the land is permanently flooded, but it seems like a decent option to save housing that might be flooded for a few days every 10 years. Clearly I have no idea how the sewage system would work, but I'd imagine there is probably an answer. Either way, it seems like a better idea than building on floodplains and then complaining about flooding.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

Yes, it is not a solution for a diverted river or a good one if the land is permanently flooded, but it seems like a decent option to save housing that might be flooded for a few days every 10 years. Clearly I have no idea how the sewage system would work, but I'd imagine there is probably an answer. Either way, it seems like a better idea than building on floodplains and then complaining about flooding.
    We should avoid building on flood plains. And put in more mitigation upstream. There are also ways of building that are more flood resilient without resorting to stilts
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    Might struggle for Part M compliance with houses on stilts too.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    Just wait for the flood and float in through the front door.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    edited August 2023

The switch from going out side and finding a product in a shop, to sitting at home waiting for a van/car to turn up with it.

It's sad to hear about Wilko closing down, another one bites the dust!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

We should avoid building on flood plains. And put in more mitigation upstream. There are also ways of building that are more flood resilient without resorting to stilts
    Beavers. We need beavers upstream.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062

• TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Might struggle for Part M compliance with houses on stilts too.

What's that?
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

What's wrong with stilts? You sound like I have proposed something contemptible.