Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

I'm intrigued by me and my bike. I keep feeling like there is something wrong with my rear hub as it doesn't engage as quickly as I expect after freewheeling; however, I've compared it to another bike which has exactly the same amount of movement, so maybe it is all in my head. Cassette seems to turn backwards as expected with no slack in the chain.

Worn teeth and a slightly stiff chain?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

I'm intrigued by me and my bike. I keep feeling like there is something wrong with my rear hub as it doesn't engage as quickly as I expect after freewheeling; however, I've compared it to another bike which has exactly the same amount of movement, so maybe it is all in my head. Cassette seems to turn backwards as expected with no slack in the chain.

No slippage like that. Plus cassette and chain are fairly new. Hub is old.
  • TheBigBean
    I really hate bike maintenance. That's not intriguing though.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767

I enjoy tinkering and fixing things up when there’s no time pressure and it isn’t something that has to be done. As soon as it becomes a case of having to fix something, it becomes a chore and I don’t enjoy it as much. I know this is ridiculous.
  • TheBigBean

I enjoy tinkering and fixing things up when there’s no time pressure and it isn’t something that has to be done. As soon as it becomes a case of having to fix something, it becomes a chore and I don’t enjoy it as much. I know this is ridiculous.
    I completely understand that. I never have time for tinkering, but I think I would be very satisfied if I could build a wheel. That said that's one of the few jobs that is easily outsourced to the internet (assuming I'm getting a new hub at the same time).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    rjsterry said:

Are we talking about those having kids late in life still?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Tbh, I’m the same about riding my bike. The moment it becomes a method of transport from a to b rather than a leisure machine, the enjoyment and approach change substantially.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    How the online weather predictions (modeling) from the MET and BBC (whoever they use now) is generally different. I look at both in the hope that when they both match there's a little more certainty.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

How the online weather predictions (modeling) from the MET and BBC (whoever they use now) is generally different. I look at both in the hope that when they both match there's a little more certainty.

I use this a lot.
    Switch 'Anim on' and get a good idea of the direction of rain.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    pinno said:

I use this a lot.

Also worth Googling 'meteociel' plus the name of your town, and you get uninterpreted graphic forecasts from a few different models, and you can see the convergence/divergence, which gives a useful check on the confidence level.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    What's the hive mind thoughts on Ventusky?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    pinno said:

I use this a lot.

Cheers Pinno I will give it a go.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,734

I call them "weather lies". For all the billions of pounds they spend on satellites, computer modelling and AI they might as well get a bag of weird shaped bones and stones and chuck them onto the floor covered in goat's skin and take a wild guess.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross

I call them "weather lies". For all the billions of pounds they spend on satellites, computer modelling and AI they might as well get a bag of weird shaped bones and stones and chuck them onto the floor covered in goat's skin and take a wild guess.
    They're right far more often than they're wrong. The ability to get temperatures correct within a degree or two most of the time is quite impressive. Predicting the location and severity of showers is obviously particularly challenging but the forecasters make a point of saying that these days.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Almost 100% positive this Farage story is nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with the kind of sh!t that goes in and out of his bank account and he's trying to get ahead of the story.

Will soon find out.

Rather pathetic Andrew Neil and that lot are just taking his word at face value.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

What's the hive mind thoughts on Ventusky?

Better still.
    Wind direction too.
    Hell, I need 6 screens.
  • pinno
    I bloody hope it was because of Brexit

Nigel Farage has claimed that his bank accounts have been closed "without explanation".

The former UKIP leader, 59, said he had been with the "prestigious" banking group - which he did not name - for more than 40 years.

However, he said he had received a letter from the bank to tell him his personal and business accounts were being closed.

He claimed that the bank had given no explanation in the letter as to the reason behind the closures, but that he had since been told over the phone that the move was a "commercial decision".

In a six-minute video posted on Twitter, Mr Farage, the former Brexit Party leader, said that losing his bank account was the equivalent of being a "non person" and that the decision may "fundamentally affect my future career and whether I can even go on staying living here in this country".

Move to the EU. Ha ha!
  • Pross

Almost 100% positive this Farage story is nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with the kind of sh!t that goes in and out of his bank account and he's trying to get ahead of the story.

Will soon find out.

Rather pathetic Andrew Neil and that lot are just taking his word at face value.

Would be great if it comes down to dodgy money going in especially if it was of Russian origin. Obviously if there is any illegality unearthed and he gets brought to account he'll be ranting on about kangaroo courts and the erosion of British justice.
  • pinno
    edited June 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pinno said:

The Daily Heil having a pop at Tories?!

https://twitter.com/home?lang=en

You have to have an account to view that.
  • pinno
    edited June 2023
    webboo said:

pinno said:

The Daily Heil having a pop at Tories?!

You have to have an account to view that.
    Sorry...

• pinno
    edited June 2023
    Dunno how to pin the tweet to the screen. Anyone?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    pinno said:

I bloody hope it was because of Brexit

Nigel Farage has claimed that his bank accounts have been closed "without explanation".

The former UKIP leader, 59, said he had been with the "prestigious" banking group - which he did not name - for more than 40 years.

However, he said he had received a letter from the bank to tell him his personal and business accounts were being closed.

He claimed that the bank had given no explanation in the letter as to the reason behind the closures, but that he had since been told over the phone that the move was a "commercial decision".

In a six-minute video posted on Twitter, Mr Farage, the former Brexit Party leader, said that losing his bank account was the equivalent of being a "non person" and that the decision may "fundamentally affect my future career and whether I can even go on staying living here in this country".

Move to the EU. Ha ha!

The big mouthed, small brained, small pr1cked b3llend has a German wife. But I recall the German embassy kicking him out of their queue for an EU passport.

Btw whatever became of the parliamentary 'investigation' into Russian influence over UK elections? Nothing to see here, kick it down the road into the long grass...
  • veronese68
    Didn't the twunt say if Brexit was a failure he was leaving the UK? He's said it's a failure, why is he still here?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    Seems that the reason for the account closures is the he is classed as a PEP (Politically Exposed Person) - PEPs are typically at more risk of involvement in bribery and corruption due to the nature of their position. Why now and how much the bank knows of any specifics is anyone's guess, but if he has been involved in anything like that his best course of action would be to keep his trap shut - although it's a bit late for that now...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

... but if he has been involved in anything like that his best course of action would be to keep his trap shut - although it's a bit late for that now...

He's incapable of keeping his trap shut
  • pinno

Stevo_666 said:

... but if he has been involved in anything like that his best course of action would be to keep his trap shut - although it's a bit late for that now...

Ironically, it's bigger than the Channel Tunnel.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056

Stevo_666 said:

I never really expected him to do that, although it was a bit stupid as if he has anything to hide and this precipitates some sort of investigation into his banking and business affairs then he's in the s**t.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Didn't the twunt say if Brexit was a failure he was leaving the UK? He's said it's a failure, why is he still here?

Brexshit benefit, remove freedom of movement. And nobody else wants him anyway. Pr1ck.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    orraloon said:

Brexshit benefit, remove freedom of movement. And nobody else wants him anyway. Pr1ck.

Didn't he claim German residency to get an EU passport?