Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

orraloon said:

Didn't the twunt say if Brexit was a failure he was leaving the UK? He's said it's a failure, why is he still here?

Brexshit benefit, remove freedom of movement. And nobody else wants him anyway. Pr1ck.

Didn't he claim German residency to get an EU passport?
    I recall that getting refused. But as I'm not a twatfollower I have no up to date info.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056

orraloon said:

Didn't the twunt say if Brexit was a failure he was leaving the UK? He's said it's a failure, why is he still here?

Brexshit benefit, remove freedom of movement. And nobody else wants him anyway. Pr1ck.

Maybe one for the irony thread, although the way German politics is going at the moment he'd probably be received with open arms.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

I recall that getting refused. But as I'm not a twatfollower I have no up to date info.

Probably not a reliable source, but evidence about his application is murky at best.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/04/23/farage-applied-for-german-passport-on-day-after-2016-referendum-and-did-not-deny-having-one/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Almost 100% positive this Farage story is nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with the kind of sh!t that goes in and out of his bank account and he's trying to get ahead of the story.

Will soon find out.

Rather pathetic Andrew Neil and that lot are just taking his word at face value.

So basically Coutts rescinded it because he's a "PEP" (some regulatory term for being a politically exposed person) so he's higher risk, and that combined with apparently lacking enough funds means he's not a very popular costumer.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

Almost 100% positive this Farage story is nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with the kind of sh!t that goes in and out of his bank account and he's trying to get ahead of the story.

Will soon find out.

Rather pathetic Andrew Neil and that lot are just taking his word at face value.

So basically Coutts rescinded it because he's a "PEP" (some regulatory term for being a politically exposed person) so he's higher risk, and that combined with apparently lacking enough funds means he's not a very popular costumer.
    The report says that Coutts told him he didn't have enough money to bank with them any more, but they offered him a Nat West account.

I don't understand why being a politically exposed person would stop you getting a bank account though. That surely means all MPs and their families as well.
  • rick_chasey
    It's a different risk and everyone has a different risk.

It's KYC stuff. Post that monster HSBC fine, UK banks are pretty conservative for this stuff. Same reason strippers can't get bank accounts etc.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,077

It's a different risk and everyone has a different risk.

It's KYC stuff. Post that monster HSBC fine, UK banks are pretty conservative for this stuff. Same reason strippers can't get bank accounts etc.

*Penny drops…politicians who strip are politically exposed. Eugh!

*not necessarily referring to Ms Mordaunt.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'd be surprised if it was a KYC risk all of a sudden.

Private banks by their nature will deal with PEPs a lot of the time.

It would be hilarious if it was because it was too poor.
  • rick_chasey

Unless the risks have changed or they uncover something.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

Coutts certainly didn't used to do this, they have loads of customers who were once rich, or who are just related to someone rich, who still have accounts. They paid quite high quarterly fees for the status of continuing to bank there but were not forced to leave.

I guess if he couldn't afford the fee that might change things but that would be really surprisingly poor.

Or they've change their T&Cs.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Unless the risks have changed or they uncover something.
    I would have thought they clear out customers who they suspect have received funds from a sanctioned source.

They will err on the side of caution as the US penalties are draconian
  • rick_chasey
    I mean, to me that is the obvious scenario, and would explain why he's making it political, but ja, if I was a Coutt's customer i would be pretty p!ssed off they're discussing anything about their customers.
  • pangolin
    Oh it was a business account they closed. Don't know what the rules were for those.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    pangolin said:

Oh it was a business account they closed. Don't know what the rules were for those.

Personal account, I think, but he also had a business account that he couldn't keep because he was no longer a personal customer, or something.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Personal account, I think, but he also had a business account that he couldn't keep because he was no longer a personal customer, or something.

"He says the offer of a NatWest account came late last week.

The former politician said the bank only did this when he "went public" with his story, and that it only offered him a personal account, not a business account.

"Well what use to me is that?" he told the BBC. "I operate through a business, that's how I live. Any income that comes to me personally comes through my business."

Sounds a bit odd. Yeah not abundantly clear.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    You're right he had both before.

Odd it's almost like he wants the media to pull on the PEP thread and look into Russian payments.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    A low value PEP is not going to be worth the effort for a bank, but that is a legitimate point of concern.

Our corporate account is regularly attacked by the KYC team. Incompetence and absolute power are not a good mix.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Not so much intrigues me but constantly eludes me. The mid-day sun in the southern hemisphere is in the north. My sense of direction is wonky. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393
    edited July 2023
    Definitely not trivial but didn’t know where else to put this but HTF did that Land Rover manage to crash into the school? It would have had to have turned sharply off a narrow street with enough speed to go through the fence and kept going across 20m of grass.

Edit - just noticed there’s a side road more or less opposite so I guess it came from that direction.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Definitely not trivial but didn’t know where else to put this but HTF did that Land Rover manage to crash into the school? It would have had to have turned sharply off a narrow street with enough speed to go through the fence and kept going across 20m of grass.

Edit - just noticed there’s a side road more or less opposite so I guess it came from that direction.

There's a couple of fairly straight roads coming from a golf club and a car park used by people walking dogs on the common that join just opposite there.
  • rick_chasey
    I read it elsewhere and they're right; the car is designed in contempt of everyone else's safety bar the driver.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    Ban SUV's in inner cities.
    I thought the ULEZ zones pretty much squeeze them out?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

Wimbledon isn't in it yet.
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

The models from 2016 onwards would be compliant.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

pinno said:

Still don't understand why people want one in a city.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Very anti them, but the appeal is

1) high seat position makes you feel safer and less intimidated by other road users (obviously forgetting the physics of high centres of gravity)

2) Easier to lift things in an out of it; parents with bad backs often go for them as they don't need to bend over to strap their children in etc
  • kingstongraham
    pinno said:

pinno said:

These huge ones that don't fit in parking spaces and also don't have loads of useable space in them but massive engines when you are supposed to do 20mph - nor can I. They should be classed differently.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    edited July 2023
    Isn't there an argument that between speed bumps, pot holes and pavement parking, it's not that smooth and easy driving in London?

For clarity, I'm happy for everyone to give up their cars.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    I manage it fine on a bicycle and you're supposed to slow down for speed bumps to take the sting out, that's the whole point.

People buy them mostly as status symbols.