Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,393

pinno said:

pinno said:

Ban SUV's in inner cities.
    I thought the ULEZ zones pretty much squeeze them out?

The models from 2016 onwards would be compliant.

Still don't understand why people want one in a city.
    These huge ones that don't fit in parking spaces and also don't have loads of useable space in them but massive engines when you are supposed to do 20mph - nor can I. They should be classed differently.
    This. My Qashqai is technically an SUV but has more in common with a Focus or Golf than a Range Rover or Discovery. The wife likes it for taking her parents out for the reason that Rick mentions above, it is easier to get in and out of for people with mobility issues. My next car will be an estate or van based car if I get my way, both are more practical for load carrying.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Definitely not trivial but didn’t know where else to put this but HTF did that Land Rover manage to crash into the school? It would have had to have turned sharply off a narrow street with enough speed to go through the fence and kept going across 20m of grass.

Edit - just noticed there’s a side road more or less opposite so I guess it came from that direction.

There's a couple of fairly straight roads coming from a golf club and a car park used by people walking dogs on the common that join just opposite there.
    Yep, I decided to look on Google Maps as it just didn't make sense from the overhead camera view and the shots from the street. Would have had to go through a pedestrian guardrail before the fence, a few metres to the left and it would have hit a metal fence / gate post instead of a timber fence which would have probably stopped it with no serious injuries.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    Pross said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

These huge ones that don't fit in parking spaces and also don't have loads of useable space in them but massive engines when you are supposed to do 20mph - nor can I. They should be classed differently.
    This. My Qashqai is technically an SUV but has more in common with a Focus or Golf than a Range Rover or Discovery. The wife likes it for taking her parents out for the reason that Rick mentions above, it is easier to get in and out of for people with mobility issues. My next car will be an estate or van based car if I get my way, both are more practical for load carrying.
    I thought you lives rurally anyway?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    pinno said:

Nope, in London at least, petrol cars need to be Euro 4 compliant and diesels Euro 6 compliant, so from memory most petrol cars from 2006 onwards and diesels from 2016 onwards are OK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

...and diesels from 2016 onwards are OK.
    Keep up at the back.
  • Stevo_666

pinno said:

pinno said:

Very anti them, but the appeal is

1) high seat position makes you feel safer and less intimidated by other road users (obviously forgetting the physics of high centres of gravity)

2) Easier to lift things in an out of it; parents with bad backs often go for them as they don't need to bend over to strap their children in etc
    That's pretty much it. I can only assume these people don't really care how they drive as they're generally too heavy and the centre of gravity too high up. Get an estate to do the practical stuff and make it fast for when you want to have a bit of fun.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

1) high seat position makes you feel safer and less intimidated by other road users (obviously forgetting the physics of high centres of gravity)

2) Easier to lift things in an out of it; parents with bad backs often go for them as they don't need to bend over to strap their children in etc
    That's pretty much it. I can only assume these people don't really care how they drive as they're generally too heavy and the centre of gravity too high up. Get an estate to do the practical stuff and make it fast for when you want to have a bit of fun.
    You don't mention that estate of yours very often do you?
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

You don't mention that estate of yours very often do you?
    If you have a good idea, why not tell people.

You never mention your Porsches of course ;)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Get an estate and put a bike in it for when you want to have a bit of fun.
  • Stevo_666

Get an estate and put a bike in it for when you want to have a bit of fun.

That's another reason - bonus points for not having to remove the front wheel to get it in the back. Actually comes in very handy for my part drive/part ride commute into Central London.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Definitely not trivial but didn’t know where else to put this but HTF did that Land Rover manage to crash into the school? It would have had to have turned sharply off a narrow street with enough speed to go through the fence and kept going across 20m of grass.

Edit - just noticed there’s a side road more or less opposite so I guess it came from that direction.

There's a couple of fairly straight roads coming from a golf club and a car park used by people walking dogs on the common that join just opposite there.
    Yep, I decided to look on Google Maps as it just didn't make sense from the overhead camera view and the shots from the street. Would have had to go through a pedestrian guardrail before the fence, a few metres to the left and it would have hit a metal fence / gate post instead of a timber fence which would have probably stopped it with no serious injuries.
    Based on the evidence (Wimbledon woman in her 40s driving large SUV) I am going to say that she was still p1ssed from the day before
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    A car like this would have sensors to automatically brake the car with obstacles in close proximity to the front. Why didn't it? It ended up going a good fifty metres passed the fence into the building.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

I thought you lives rurally anyway?
    Unfortunately not. I never quite know how to describe where I live - it's historically a small town / large village that has become a suburb of a city but I can be semi-rural within a 5 minute walk.
  • focuszing723
    I wouldn't like to make any assumptions and leave it to the experts investigating to comment.
  • surrey_commuter

I wouldn't like to make any assumptions and leave it to the experts investigating to comment.

not sure many experts are going to investigate whether Pross lives in a small town, largevillage or suburb so I would assume away.

I am going to assume he lives in Epsom as he pretty much described where I live.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977

A car like this would have sensors to automatically brake the car with obstacles in close proximity to the front. Why didn't it? It ended up going a good fifty metres passed the fence into the building.

If it works like in this test, it might explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4IdaF2Ckg
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Yebbut, one needs a Chelsea tractor to tackle Wimbledon Common. 50:50 she was scrolling mumsnet on her phone at the time. Jail beckons.
  • focuszing723

If it works like in this test, it might explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4IdaF2Ckg
    Cheers, interesting.
  • pinno

not sure many experts are going to investigate whether Pross lives in a small town, largevillage or suburb so I would assume away.

I am going to assume he lives in Epsom as he pretty much described where I live.
    South Wales.
  • surrey_commuter
    pinno said:

South Wales.
    nope, definitely Surrey
  • surrey_commuter
    orraloon said:

Yebbut, one needs a Chelsea tractor to tackle Wimbledon Common. 50:50 she was scrolling mumsnet on her phone at the time. Jail beckons.

posh people don't go to jail, I am going 3 weeks suspended but might lose her licence for 12 months and needs to retake her test
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Followed and X5 driver out of a multi storey car park on Sunday.
    Consistently stopping and reversing to get around the ramps.
    In some car parks, I’d have had some sympathy as some are incredibly tight. This one wasn’t, the driver had no clue at all.
    Goes out the barrier, floors it like a total dick.
    If you can’t drive, you shouldn’t drive fast.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    There does seem to be a correlation between car size and how poor people's spatial awareness is.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    pangolin said:

There does seem to be a correlation between car size and how poor people's spatial awareness is.

Exactly this this morning. I pulled in, leaving a space wide enough to get a bus through, but she wouldn't come past. She waited there expecting me to reverse, which I did, eventually. I suspected she couldn't reverse either, based on her spatial awareness level. Grrr.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Driving a banger you don’t mind pranging is very liberating.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    pangolin said:

The difference of the shape of the car make a big difference too. I pride myself in being able to park in a tight spot first time with minimal shuffling, very easy in my 2000’s shape Mini. I also have an old Defender (fully justified by where I live and what it’s used for I hasten to add) that is pretty much the same footprint as my Mini. But can I park it? Even though we’re sat very high up with great visibility I still shuffle around for a good 5mins to park against the curb.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Before I bought my current car I took it for a test drive and upon returning reversed parked into a tight space. This wasn't a revelation but maybe all potential buyers should have to complete a basic driving skill test? I can see the objections already but if you can't drive it you shouldn't be able to buy it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2023
    A source has revealed that the 46-year-old woman who ploughed into an end of term picnic at The Study Prep School in Wimbledon, London was found to have bitten through tongue while acting 'delirious'. While she was reportedly not over the alcohol or drug limit at the time of the crash, this behaviour supports the belief that she may have had a medical episode.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

Before I bought my current car I took it for a test drive and upon returning reversed parked into a tight space. This wasn't a revelation but maybe all potential buyers should have to complete a basic driving skill test? I can see the objections already but if you can't drive it you shouldn't be able to buy it.

I agree with the concept but a more realistic test would be to stay on your side of the road when turning left.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160

pblakeney said:

I agree with the concept but a more realistic test would be to stay on your side of the road when turning left.
    😂😂😂
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.