Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Bet they can't believe that no. 10 is being asked for its views on the matter 😁

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
    Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
    I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.
    You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.

I've spent quite a bit of time this year in a school with a very high proportion on pupil premium... in fact (I think), the highest proportion in the whole of the South West, and yet I had no idea from their appearance that more than one of the pupils I was working with had at least one medic parent (and therefore probably reasonably well-off). Genuinely I can't tell - they just look smart in their simple uniforms.
    Why the f@ck should kids look smart?! They kids ffs. Got their whole grown up lives to look smart for some bastards they don’t like.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
    Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
    I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.
    You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.

I've spent quite a bit of time this year in a school with a very high proportion on pupil premium... in fact (I think), the highest proportion in the whole of the South West, and yet I had no idea from their appearance that more than one of the pupils I was working with had at least one medic parent (and therefore probably reasonably well-off). Genuinely I can't tell - they just look smart in their simple uniforms.
    Sack cloth. That's the only leveller.
  • rick_chasey
    Just because you’re too old to spot the expensive shoes or rucksacks.

The big clue is the kids who turn up in September with a nice tan ✌🏻✌🏻.

Doubly so if they turn up after the winter half term with a panda tan after skiing 😉
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

pinno said:

Not to sound arrogant, because I refer to the following in a very narrow way, but it wasn't helpful to be smarter than the entire teaching staff.

I accept that it is irritating to figure stuff out without having all of the information you are supposed to have, and ask questions you don't have the answer to.

The solution to this sort of thing is enforcement of uniform rules.

?!
    Are you okay hun?
    No, I'm having flashbacks.

Can I have a hug?
    Find a dog or a cat or your wife even.
    I'm not driving due east at this time of night, in this weather.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    edited June 2023

Not to sound arrogant, because I refer to the following in a very narrow way, but it wasn't helpful to be smarter than the entire teaching staff.

I accept that it is irritating to figure stuff out without having all of the information you are supposed to have, and ask questions you don't have the answer to.

It sounds as if you've conflated your unfortunate experience of school and the school's uniform policy and enforcement thereof with uniform in general. I suspect that not having a uniform wouldn't have made your school any better.
    Probably. But it seemed to waste a lot of resource that could have been better spent on things that matter.

Probably normal for poorly-run establishments in all spheres: it's easier to focus on something low-priority but obviously enforceable with set criteria than the core function which is much more complex and fluid.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Even though the weather's lovely here, I'm not driving east either, as 1) I'd drive into a river, 2) I'd be nowhere nearer @First.Aspect, and 3) I'm a b@stard.
  • First.Aspect

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Even though the weather's lovely here, I'm not driving east either, as 1) I'd drive into a river, 2) I'd be nowhere nearer @First.Aspect, and 3) I'm a b@stard.
    I'm moving to Devon soon Brian. Can I have a hug then?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049

How did Richard Hammond get a headline slot at Glastonbury?

Were they expecting https://idiodextrous.com/legit-lefties/hammond/ to show up? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

F@ck school uniforms. Loathed then as a kid. Loathe them now on my little one.

Liked by all the sh!t teachers who can’t do their job properly so compensate.

If Britain thinks they can level class it out with uniform lol.

You and FA are just randomly assigning the bits of your childhood you didn't like onto one inanimate object that you can remember.

Also somewhat ironic that someone as deeply entrenched in the City has a hatred of uniforms. Just how many identical slightly too small blue suits with brown shoes are there? Every group has them; even the ones that think they are all individuals.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why the f@ck should kids look smart?! They kids ffs. Got their whole grown up lives to look smart for some bastards they don’t like.
    Maybe they actually like looking smart. Maybe they actually enjoy how it makes them feel. Maybe they're interested in clothing. It's a form of non-verbal communication.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Sure. You can book an appointment through your GP.
  • First.Aspect

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Offended.
    Hurt.

I'll ask the wife.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Maybe they actually like looking smart. Maybe they actually enjoy how it makes them feel. Maybe they're interested in clothing. It's a form of non-verbal communication.
    Yeah. So why are we forcing them to wear the same manky stuff? If you’re interested in self expression uniforms are literally the opposite.

I will never ever understand British obsession with school uniform.

Rest of the world manages fine. It’s moronic and old fashioned.

Obsession with conformity and a sort of ritual hazing by making kids wear uncomfortable clothes and have teachers chastise them about it when, let’s face it, kids don’t buy their own clothes.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Are school ties still a thing?

If so, are they still worn as bandanas?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Offended.
    Hurt.

I'll ask the wife.
    I did say.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Yeah. So why are we forcing them to wear the same manky stuff? If you’re interested in self expression uniforms are literally the opposite.

Obsession with conformity and a sort of ritual hazing by making kids wear uncomfortable clothes and have teachers chastise them about it when, let’s face it, kids don’t buy their own clothes.
    God this is so refreshing.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Are school ties still a thing?

If so, are they still worn as bandanas?
    My kids school uses clip on ties.
    Make crap bandanas.
  • morstar
    Although having had leavers assembly today for the youngest, I no longer have any children at school.

Now that’s an odd feeling. Our 3 are quite widely spread so I’ve had school aged kids for 25 years. To now not have is a bit weird.
  • morstar
    Time to find a young mistress and propagate.
  • First.Aspect
    British schools stifle independent thought.

I distinctly remember being told that people who are bored are boring.

Same teacher I think explained that Mars was red because of its atmosphere.

I mean it was a while ago but I'm sure the Mariner missions had happened a decade earlier and that we knew at that point that the moon wasn't going to solve the world cheese shortage.
  • morstar
    morstar said:

Do I need consent?

So bloody woke! Will make it far harder to achieve.
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Offended.
    Hurt.

I'll ask the wife.

You've probably saved yourself a fate worse than a bad chiropractor in a strop. And I'd have probably stood on one of your feet by accident too.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Then we might have Propagategate.
  • First.Aspect

pinno said:

pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?

Can I have a hug?

Offended.
    Hurt.

I'll ask the wife.

You've probably saved yourself a fate worse than a bad chiropractor in a strop. And I'd have probably stood on one of your feet by accident too.
    I only do non verbal socially distanced notional hugs for exactly this reason.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

To identify them as part of the school. To signify their belonging to that group.

Also - I think you've yet to get to this bit - a child can quite easily waste half an hour in the morning choosing which pair of near identical socks to wear. The last thing they need is more choice.

It's just a polo shirt and maybe a coloured jumper with a badge. You don't need to project all the other stuff on to it. You'll give your kid a complex. They are not having their soul crushed by being expected to wear grey school trousers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

You two need a group therapy session.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

You two need a group therapy session.
    Is resistance futile?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

To identify them as part of the school. To signify their belonging to that group.

Also - I think you've yet to get to this bit - a child can quite easily waste half an hour in the morning choosing which pair of near identical socks to wear. The last thing they need is more choice.

It's just a polo shirt and maybe a coloured jumper with a badge. You don't need to project all the other stuff on to it. You'll give your kid a complex. They are not having their soul crushed by being expected to wear grey school trousers.
    Why doesn't this apply to the teachers? It's usually staff as opposed to customers that are meant to be in uniform.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 572
    I was in the village of my old school the other day and by chance it must have been leaving day. I was happy to see the writing and signatures on the white shirts, all these years later. It took years for me to buy any red clothes as that was the jumper colour.
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why doesn't this apply to the teachers? It's usually staff as opposed to customers that are meant to be in uniform.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if it was polo shorts rather than ties & jackets.