Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Bet they can't believe that no. 10 is being asked for its views on the matter 😁

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
    Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
    I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.
    You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.

I've spent quite a bit of time this year in a school with a very high proportion on pupil premium... in fact (I think), the highest proportion in the whole of the South West, and yet I had no idea from their appearance that more than one of the pupils I was working with had at least one medic parent (and therefore probably reasonably well-off). Genuinely I can't tell - they just look smart in their simple uniforms.
    Why the f@ck should kids look smart?! They kids ffs. Got their whole grown up lives to look smart for some bastards they don’t like.
    Maybe they actually like looking smart. Maybe they actually enjoy how it makes them feel. Maybe they're interested in clothing. It's a form of non-verbal communication.
    Yeah. So why are we forcing them to wear the same manky stuff? If you’re interested in self expression uniforms are literally the opposite.

I will never ever understand British obsession with school uniform.

Rest of the world manages fine. It’s moronic and old fashioned.

Obsession with conformity and a sort of ritual hazing by making kids wear uncomfortable clothes and have teachers chastise them about it when, let’s face it, kids don’t buy their own clothes.
    To identify them as part of the school. To signify their belonging to that group.

Also - I think you've yet to get to this bit - a child can quite easily waste half an hour in the morning choosing which pair of near identical socks to wear. The last thing they need is more choice.

It's just a polo shirt and maybe a coloured jumper with a badge. You don't need to project all the other stuff on to it. You'll give your kid a complex. They are not having their soul crushed by being expected to wear grey school trousers.
    I’ll forgive you but the cod parenting advice is not helpful.

I am not so stupid to think that discussing this in front of the child is sensible as they have no choice in the matter so let them come up with their own opinions.

It is fairly trivial but in that context school uniform is awful.

Uniform is usually reserved for roles where self expression is unhelpful and you’re representing an institution with some authority; Military, police etc.

Why is that appropriate for a school?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,197
    morstar said:

morstar said:

Time to find a young mistress and propagate.

Do I need consent?

So bloody woke! Will make it far harder to achieve.
    Off on your travels then sir. Forget these now inexplicable and impossible domestic females.
    I found one in Cap Ferret. She was stunning and warm and gently tanned.
    ...and then found out it was the hotelier's wife. He was a 53 year old German with a very grumpy disposition. She was 27.

Why oh why oh why did I not bundle her in my car and whisk her away?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    I'm intrigued when the Mr and Mrs stuff will be phased out.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
    Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
    I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.
    You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.

I've spent quite a bit of time this year in a school with a very high proportion on pupil premium... in fact (I think), the highest proportion in the whole of the South West, and yet I had no idea from their appearance that more than one of the pupils I was working with had at least one medic parent (and therefore probably reasonably well-off). Genuinely I can't tell - they just look smart in their simple uniforms.
    Why the f@ck should kids look smart?! They kids ffs. Got their whole grown up lives to look smart for some bastards they don’t like.
    Maybe they actually like looking smart. Maybe they actually enjoy how it makes them feel. Maybe they're interested in clothing. It's a form of non-verbal communication.
    Yeah. So why are we forcing them to wear the same manky stuff? If you’re interested in self expression uniforms are literally the opposite.

Obsession with conformity and a sort of ritual hazing by making kids wear uncomfortable clothes and have teachers chastise them about it when, let’s face it, kids don’t buy their own clothes.
    To identify them as part of the school. To signify their belonging to that group.

Also - I think you've yet to get to this bit - a child can quite easily waste half an hour in the morning choosing which pair of near identical socks to wear. The last thing they need is more choice.

It's just a polo shirt and maybe a coloured jumper with a badge. You don't need to project all the other stuff on to it. You'll give your kid a complex. They are not having their soul crushed by being expected to wear grey school trousers.
    Why doesn't this apply to the teachers? It's usually staff as opposed to customers that are meant to be in uniform.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if it was polo shorts rather than ties & jackets.
    Suggest it at your next staff meeting. Explain that plain suits do not identify you as part of the school.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056
    All the schoolkids need to do if they don't like school uniform is to self identify as scruffy urchins then the teachers won't stand in their way?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

All the schoolkids need to do if they don't like school uniform is to self identify as scruffy urchins then the teachers won't stand in their way?

The standard uniform is scruffy anyway.

Who wants to wear a nylon polo tshirt and a nasty sweatshirt
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,056

Stevo_666 said:

My kid is at uni so those days are in the past for me. However the thing about kids self identifying as daft things to wind up their teachers is quite a amusing though:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/06/21/schoolchildren-identifying-as-animals-mockery/
    It would appear that the 'joke is on the woke', so to say :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why doesn't this apply to the teachers? It's usually staff as opposed to customers that are meant to be in uniform.
    Maybe it should. School children are not customers, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

God this is so refreshing.
    You two need a group therapy session.
    Is resistance futile?
    Eh? You just both seemed to find it cathartic
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I'm intrigued when the Mr and Mrs stuff will be phased out.

That hasn’t been on the TV for decades.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My kid is at uni so those days are in the past for me. However the thing about kids self identifying as daft things to wind up their teachers is quite a amusing though:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/06/21/schoolchildren-identifying-as-animals-mockery/
    It would appear that the 'joke is on the woke', so to say :)
    They've successfully managed to catch the Telegraph and the government with their bait, which I'll admit is somewhat impressive.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    I quite like the idea of teachers wearing some form of rank insignia. Perhaps one dot on a collar for a new start, a second open one if you are in charge of the school hamsters, right up to 4 dots for head teacher.

You could colour code by discipline as well. Blue for science teachers, and red supply teachers who may not last long etc.
  • First.Aspect
    How is it that call centre waiting times for some companies are always longer than usual.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002

How is it that call centre waiting times for some companies are always longer than usual.

That's like education ministers wanting everyone's maths, reading and writing ability to be average or above.
  • First.Aspect

That's like education ministers wanting everyone's maths, reading and writing ability to be average or above.
    This is called a Govian analysis.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767

Because your call is NOT important to them
  • veronese68
    My sister's kids went to school in Italy, she wished they'd had uniforms as they took ages over what to wear because they had to keep up with whatever trend. Her son would have preferred a uniform as he couldn't be bothered on the one hand, yet felt pressured to wear whatever was trendy.
    My sister was always pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable within the uniform rules, so for her to think they are preferable is quite something. Kids managed to find their own identity within the uniform rules, be it through style of shoes, trousers or how you wore your tie.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If school kids don’t wear uniforms, then none uniform days won’t be up to much.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Rick Astley is a better Morrisey than Morrisey.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Oh, and the Frost Bitten Monkeys are $hyte.
  • rick_chasey

My sister's kids went to school in Italy, she wished they'd had uniforms as they took ages over what to wear because they had to keep up with whatever trend. Her son would have preferred a uniform as he couldn't be bothered on the one hand, yet felt pressured to wear whatever was trendy.
    My sister was always pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable within the uniform rules, so for her to think they are preferable is quite something. Kids managed to find their own identity within the uniform rules, be it through style of shoes, trousers or how you wore your tie.

She might change her mind when she sees what she’d be putting them in.

Polyester central.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Glasto has Lizzo, shall I say she's large, with her lardy backing troupe on the Pyramid stage. (I heard Lizzo on R2 back in the winter with Jo Whiley and liked then but live... nah) Meanwhile on Park Stage The Pretenders with Chrissie Hynde looking good and going strong inc current song lyric "We don't have to get fat, we don't have to get old" 😊

Plus now has Johnny Marr on stage with her 👍
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    orraloon said:

Glasto has Lizzo, shall I say she's large, with her lardy backing troupe on the Pyramid stage. (I heard Lizzo on R2 back in the winter with Jo Whiley and liked then but live... nah) Meanwhile on Park Stage The Pretenders with Chrissie Hynde looking good and going strong inc current song lyric "We don't have to get fat, we don't have to get old" 😊

Weren't you moved by the wonderful display of body positivity??
  • orraloon
    mrb123 said:

orraloon said:

Weren't you moved by the wonderful display of body positivity??
    Before I enjoyed her vocals. The stage act, meh not so much 😉
    Don't know if the timings are live / delayed on the iPlayer feeds, but Dave Grohl just joined The Pretenders on stage on drums for 1 number. Jings. Liking this Glasto.
  • orraloon
    Axl Rose looks a wee bit different in 2023 to how I remember him. Iz we all getting old?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,197
    orraloon said:

Axl Rose looks a wee bit different in 2023 to how I remember him. Iz we all getting old?

Fat?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68

She might change her mind when she sees what she’d be putting them in.

Polyester central.
    She has seen English school children in recent years
  • orraloon
    Guns N' Roses performing. As in, just watch us. No direct interaction with the audience, c'mon join in as per Dave Grohl, Sharleen S, Lewis C, Rick A et al. Missing a component.
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2023

Rick Astley is a better Morrisey than Morrisey.

Blossoms plus Rick Astley sing The Smihs is a proper reminder of how good those songs are. 6pm on the Woodsies stage this evening. Best tribute act you'll see.
  • kingstongraham
    orraloon said:

Guns N' Roses performing. As in, just watch us. No direct interaction with the audience, c'mon join in as per Dave Grohl, Sharleen S, Lewis C, Rick A et al. Missing a component.

It's bad, but imagine how bad it would be if you didn't know the songs already.