Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    pblakeney said:

The use of the term "street food". No, you are a kebab takeaway. That's what you've always been and all you will be. Don't blame the shop for trying but do people actually buy into this nonsense?

I'm similarly annoyed by "[Vietnamese] Street Eats" sold in shops. Doubly annoyed if they are "authentic".
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337

pblakeney said:

The use of the term "street food". No, you are a kebab takeaway. That's what you've always been and all you will be. Don't blame the shop for trying but do people actually buy into this nonsense?

I'm similarly annoyed by "[Vietnamese] Street Eats" sold in shops. Doubly annoyed if they are "authentic".
    Looks like street food to me.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Looks like street food to me.

I like the look of where you live.
  • rjsterry
    Earliest photograph of the sale of doner kebab from 1855. Originated around Bursa in the Ottoman empire.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    edited June 2023
    That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

• rjsterry
    edited June 2023

That such a supposedly brilliant headteacher should so wildly underestimate the collective cunning and wit of pupils in challenging or winding up teachers, especially ones they don't respect. And not forgetting those who make vindictive false accusations to get back at teachers they hate.

I'm reminded of one spat in a local Exeter school when the dress code changed to stop boys wearing shorts as part of the uniform, so they wore the school skirts instead, until the school saw sense.

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Bet they can't believe that no. 10 is being asked for its views on the matter 😁

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Do that today and half the teachers would just let them and ask them all if they wanted to self identify as a woman.
  • briantrumpet

Do that today and half the teachers would just let them and ask them all if they wanted to self identify as a woman.

If the photos in the local press were anything to go by, let's just say that that seemed rather unlikely, which made it all the more amusing.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Don't mess with kids. They can play you like a fiddle before they can even speak.

Teachers so easily wound up by bored kids should possibly consider whether they have the skills for the job.

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
  • rjsterry
    Oh look, Toby Young has joined this particular 'debate'/ circlejerk for the Spectator.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961

rjsterry said:

You can guarantee that if a teacher has any 'triggers', that pupils will exploit it for entertainment. Well, theirs, if not the teacher's. And news spreads rapidly, even before social media.
    Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
  • First.Aspect
    Because I've always thought things like maths and literacy was more important than trousers.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,197

rjsterry said:

Why is it that generations of teachers try to impose utterly pointless uniform rules? Do you have an Arbitrary and Unjustified module in the PGCE? Or do they still mourn the passing of national service?
    I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

rjsterry said:

Consider it progress from the days when they just beat them instead.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I am an advocate of school uniforms. They are a leveller. When You don't have school uniforms, flash Harry with his rich dad turns up in £90 fcuking Reeboks (as Chubby Brown so eloquently put it) and the other kids pressure mum/dad to compete.
    Also, a second hand market is created with uniforms making them a bit more accessible to those who haven't got the readies.

I actually am intrigued by the to-ing a fro-ing between old-style uniforms (shirts/blouses, blazers, and polo shirts/sweat shirts) around Exeter. Some of the high schools with a, er, 'reputation' have gone for uniforms more like posh private schools. I do see them as levellers though, and would probably go for the cheapest/most practical if I were deciding (and that wouldn't include blazers etc, and would be effectively unisex).

Seeing pupils come out of school in France is both refreshing (I'm not a fan of uniform necessarily, per se), but you can see how the ability to afford in-vogue wear will be obvious to those who pay attention to such things.

(Side note - these days, when choosing concert wear for events, I'm increasingly going for a simple "all black" for men and women for serious classical gigs, whereas not that long ago I'd have said "Suits/white shirts etc for men, and erm...", realising that dictating a sex-specific dress code is increasingly - and rightly - problematic. Jazz, on the whole, the more mixed the better: I've got some seriously good - or that might be 'bad' - 'jazz shirts'.)
  • pinno

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I actually am intrigued by the to-ing a fro-ing between old-style uniforms (shirts/blouses, blazers, and polo shirts/sweat shirts) around Exeter. Some of the high schools with a, er, 'reputation' have gone for uniforms more like posh private schools. I do see them as levellers though, and would probably go for the cheapest/most practical if I were deciding (and that wouldn't include blazers etc, and would be effectively unisex).

Seeing pupils come out of school in France is both refreshing (I'm not a fan of uniform necessarily, per se), but you can see how the ability to afford in-vogue wear will be obvious to those who pay attention to such things.

(Side note - these days, when choosing concert wear for events, I'm increasingly going for a simple "all black" for men and women for serious classical gigs, whereas not that long ago I'd have said "Suits/white shirts etc for men, and erm...", realising that dictating a sex-specific dress code is increasingly - and rightly - problematic. Jazz, on the whole, the more mixed the better: I've got some seriously good - or that might be 'bad' - 'jazz shirts'.)
    Primary school clothing for my two are Polo shirts, black trousers/skirt (girls can wear either!) and black shoes, so really not extravagant in any way.
    We've always purchased directly off the school order form and it has ben relatively inexpensive aside from growth spurts*.

*Shoes; the eternal bug bear.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Primary school clothing for my two are Polo shirts, black trousers/skirt (girls can wear either!) and black shoes, so really not extravagant in any way.
    We've always purchased directly off the school order form and it has ben relatively inexpensive aside from growth spurts*.

*Shoes; the eternal bug bear.

Yeah, that's how it should be: the school's buying power should be used to minimise cost to parents, and keep things simple for everyone to follow/enforce.
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

Consider it progress from the days when they just beat them instead.
    Or sat on the writing hand of those left handed perverts.

• First.Aspect
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.
  • pinno

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

You make it sound like kids can't figure out who has money and who doesn't. And pick on the doesn'ts.

We had uniform nazis of the highest rank and even the wrong shoelaces was enough to get you a kicking. The uniform gestapo was always one shoelace behind.

I assume teachers never actually went to school. Or there is a memory wiping module in the pgce.

They didn't teach maths very well either. Or physics. Or chemistry. Or anything. But I did wear a blazer.
    Doesn't sound (between threads) like school was a good experience for you.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Doesn't sound (between threads) like school was a good experience for you.
    Bustards. All of them.
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

I've spent quite a bit of time this year in a school with a very high proportion on pupil premium... in fact (I think), the highest proportion in the whole of the South West, and yet I had no idea from their appearance that more than one of the pupils I was working with had at least one medic parent (and therefore probably reasonably well-off). Genuinely I can't tell - they just look smart in their simple uniforms.
  • First.Aspect
    Not to sound arrogant, because I refer to the following in a very narrow way, but it wasn't helpful to be smarter than the entire teaching staff.

I accept that it is irritating to figure stuff out without having all of the information you are supposed to have, and ask questions you don't have the answer to.

The solution to this sort of thing is enforcement of uniform rules.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    How did Richard Hammond get a headline slot at Glastonbury?
  • pinno

Not to sound arrogant, because I refer to the following in a very narrow way, but it wasn't helpful to be smarter than the entire teaching staff.

I accept that it is irritating to figure stuff out without having all of the information you are supposed to have, and ask questions you don't have the answer to.

?!
    Are you okay hun?
  • briantrumpet

It sounds as if you've conflated your unfortunate experience of school and the school's uniform policy and enforcement thereof with uniform in general. I suspect that not having a uniform wouldn't have made your school any better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2023
    F@ck school uniforms. Loathed then as a kid. Loathe them now on my little one.

Liked by all the sh!t teachers who can’t do their job properly so compensate.

If Britain thinks they can level class it out with uniform lol.
  • First.Aspect

It sounds as if you've conflated your unfortunate experience of school and the school's uniform policy and enforcement thereof with uniform in general. I suspect that not having a uniform wouldn't have made your school any better.
    Probably. But it seemed to waste a lot of resource that could have been better spent on things that matter.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

?!
    Are you okay hun?
    No, I'm having flashbacks.

Can I have a hug?
  • First.Aspect

How did Richard Hammond get a headline slot at Glastonbury?

He doesn't take up very much room.