Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,004
    It'll be a good day for going for a ride.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The missus was putting up the red, white and blue bunting round the house this afternoon.
    She’s part of the organising group for next Saturdays night Coronation party and Sundays picnic at the village hall and but I suspect the only person who will get swore at is me.
  • Hoping for lovely dry weather to go with the expected virtually traffic free roads next Saturday, royal events are almost always great days to go for a bike ride, especially covering a few roads you would ordinarily be a bit wary of because of hostile traffic.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Yebbut. Prem League Moneyball still playing etc. It's not like 'shut down the world ye serfs' for a dead 96yo.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited April 2023
    I'm not sure this one will be quite the same - I remember taking the nieces to Chessington when William got married and the place was packed with people with the same idea.

Is anyone really excited about it?

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    It's just bloody weird isn't it?
    They are asking people to talk to their tvs in the manner of a game of thrones character.

Even if I were a dedicated royalist I think it would feel pretty ridiculous making a pledge of allegiance to nobody in particular on the sofa on a saturday afternnon
    orraloon said:

Well now, maybe a forum poll?

Swear allegiance or just swear at?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

I know which would be my words of choice.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963

I'm not sure this one will be quite the same - I remember taking the nieces to Chessington when William got married and the place was packed with people with the same idea.

Only those of an age that makes this a once in a lifetime event.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160

And not even all of those.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

Charles is already 74, so might not be *too* long to wait for the next one.
  • briantrumpet
    WTF is this all about? What are they so scared of?

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561

I presume a mixture of pearl clutching, but also genuine issues around men's mental health.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

Don’t know about excited but my daughter and her friends are going to take a picnic and go and watch. It’s on the doorstep for them and not something you see every day.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    edited May 2023
    Receiving a form through the post to be completed giving them my address.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199

It's the remaining hair obvs. : he should shave it off.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768

Charles is already 74, so might not be *too* long to wait for the next one.
    Woohoo, more bank holidays
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,199
    We are low on the public holiday list @ 8 to 10 pa.
    Argentina know how to do it with 35.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Don’t know about excited but my daughter and her friends are going to take a picnic and go and watch. It’s on the doorstep for them and not something you see every day.
    Unless she is camped out already I doubt she will see anything
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    How does the weather almost always know it's a bank holiday and is wet enough to at least put you off riding your best bike? :trollface:

Heck, we even currently have wet weather forecast in Hampshire for Charlie's coronation, on what should be the best day to go for a bike ride this year, given the roads should be deadly quiet like they were for Liz's funeral. :cry:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963

How does the weather almost always know it's a bank holiday and is wet enough to at least put you off riding your best bike? :trollface:

Heck, we even currently have wet weather forecast in Hampshire for Charlie's coronation, on what should be the best day to go for a bike ride this year, given the roads should be deadly quiet like they were for Liz's funeral. :cry:

Depends where you are...
  • Pross

Depends where you are...
    Yeah, probably the warmest day of the year so far around here.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    A few showers this morning but otherwise a sunny long weekend in Norfolk.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    The cost of a 1GB SanDisk SD card $499.99 in 2006.
    Computer storage was certainly expensive.

• briantrumpet
    masjer said:

My first PC (a Mesh) had a 1.2Gb memory, and people wondered why it needed so much, and thought I'd never use all of it.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    masjer said:

That's what drives me crazy about inflation. It's about supply and demand and clearly some companies are taking the p1££.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    Generic clothes are cheap too, other than flouncey brand names.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I rode my bike along a road yesterday and saw the biggest houses you ever did see being built. Felt worth a google as the market they will appeal to will clearly be very niche.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/issa-brothers-new-blackburn-mansions-24806051

Unsurprised to find it's the Issa brothers (had wondered if it would be) but boy are they ugly. Money still can't buy taste and unfortunately from one side they can be seen for miles.
  • Pross

Pross said:

They just interviewed a woman camping out. She seemed to be the only one and when asked why she does it she was going on about the atmosphere. I suspect she feels a bit stupid although now others have seen someone is already waiting no doubt they’ll join the queue!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Pross said:

They just interviewed a woman camping out. She seemed to be the only one and when asked why she does it she was going on about the atmosphere. I suspect she feels a bit stupid although now others have seen someone is already waiting no doubt they’ll join the queue!
    I think the people already there have mental health issues.

If your daughter travels light and gets there before dawn she should see something but she will not be tucking into a picnic watching.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

I think the people already there have mental health issues.

If your daughter travels light and gets there before dawn she should see something but she will not be tucking into a picnic watching.
    It was my first thought with the woman they interviewed. I think their plan was to try to watch a bit then go and have a picnic before she then heads to Paddington to travel home for the Bank Holiday so not really going out of her way at all.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    How much would a place like that go for in Blackburn?
    I wouldn't have though there were much of a market for them and if I were to spend a small fortune to live in pleasington, an ugly mansion surrounded by a load of other ugly mansions would not be my first choice.
    morstar said:

I rode my bike along a road yesterday and saw the biggest houses you ever did see being built. Felt worth a google as the market they will appeal to will clearly be very niche.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/issa-brothers-new-blackburn-mansions-24806051

Unsurprised to find it's the Issa brothers (had wondered if it would be) but boy are they ugly. Money still can't buy taste and unfortunately from one side they can be seen for miles.