Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,004
    Why we still call the yellow crop 'rape', when the French name 'colza' is so much less problematic... I've got a plain yellow jersey that is the same colour as the crop, and whilst I could call it my 'colza jersey', calling it by its English alternative might raise an eyebrow or two.

These two senses of 'rape' have entirely different etymologies:

Etymology: < Anglo-Norman rap, raap, rape violent seizure, abduction, rape, forced sexual intercourse (late 13th cent.), probably ultimately < classical Latin rapere to seize (see rape v.2), perhaps via post-classical Latin rapum rape, forced sexual intercourse, violence (frequently from 1180 in British sources). Compare post-classical Latin rapa (1411 in a British source), and also raptus raptus n. Compare rape v.2, and also rapt n. 2, ravishment n.

Etymology: < classical Latin rāpum, neuter (also rāpa, feminine), turnip, probably related to Hellenistic Greek ῥάπυς, Old High German ruoba (Middle High German ruobe, rüebe, German Rübe), Old Russian rěpa (Russian repa, †rěpa), Polish rzepa, Serbian repa, Lithuanian ropė, all in same sense, although the nature of the relationship is unclear.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    Where does "canola" come from, then?
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2023

Where does "canola" come from, then?

Oilseed rape of a variety developed in Canada and grown in North America, which yields a culinary oil and animal feed low in certain undesirable compounds.

Etymology: Acronym < the initial letters of Canadian oil, low acid, after formations in -ola suffix2.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    I was wondering about this just the other day (whilst viewing the bright yellow fields). Rapeseed sounds like something from a forensic crime drama, was as far as I got.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,062
    I've always known it as oil seed rape which takes away the ambiguity.
  • briantrumpet
    'Colza' comes from the Dutch for cabbage seed (koolzaad).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    Feels like a lot of effort just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door.
  • Pross
    How some people’s thought process works. There’s a common gripe, not totally unfounded, among supporters of the rugby club I follow that the WRU don’t like them and will shaft them at any opportunity. However, it bordering on paranoia with some of them. Today we had a classic post on the Facebook page from one supporter demanding confirmation from the WRU that they will definitely promote the top 2 in our league as stated at the start of the season. Others pointed out they have already done so on several occasions with a categoric statement on BBC Wales yesterday that this would be the case.

The response to this was “but I don’t trust anything they say”. WTF is the point in demanding (another) statement if you’re not going to believe what they say in any case? I reckon some of them would rather the WRU renege just so they can say told you so and continue moaning about them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    In AI news, a further demonstration that it's more doing an impression of thinking than actually thinking

These are not Julius Caesar's last words, but a schoolboy Latin joke.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Most of the projects on Grand Designs. Why would you bother converting a derelict ruin that is often listed (and, in the case of the one I’m watching now, a scheduled ancient monument) rather than get a plot somewhere that gives a blank canvas? The original building usually ends up looking completely different and in this one had to be completely demolished and rebuilt.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Derren Brown. Can't get enough. Just watched Showman on More4. Just unreal.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

Most of the projects on Grand Designs. Why would you bother converting a derelict ruin that is often listed (and, in the case of the one I’m watching now, a scheduled ancient monument) rather than get a plot somewhere that gives a blank canvas? The original building usually ends up looking completely different and in this one had to be completely demolished and rebuilt.

Because GD is not interested in straightforward sensible projects. The more misconceived the better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Because GD is not interested in straightforward sensible projects. The more misconceived the better.
    It’s a tv show so needs some jeopardy or potential to go wrong! But I love restorations and conversions far more than new builds and it’s one of the few shows that understand what contemporary actually means in terms of design and does feature some really great architecture.

The things that bug me:

When older couples commission a contemporary building that is brave and visually arresting, and they just fill it with their old Victorian furniture or have zero sense of interior design. You go inside and it’s a huge let down.

That the architect will always design a building that pushes the budget way over the couples limits. A budget is a budget. Not just a random number to then start from. Bloody architects (grand design ones anyway!)
  • rjsterry
    wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

It’s a tv show so needs some jeopardy or potential to go wrong! But I love restorations and conversions far more than new builds and it’s one of the few shows that understand what contemporary actually means in terms of design and does feature some really great architecture.

The things that bug me:

When older couples commission a contemporary building that is brave and visually arresting, and they just fill it with their old Victorian furniture or have zero sense of interior design. You go inside and it’s a huge let down.

That the architect will always design a building that pushes the budget way over the couples limits. A budget is a budget. Not just a random number to then start from. Bloody architects (grand design ones anyway!)
    One of our projects was featured on GD a few years ago. It's, erm, a highly curated view of what actually happens. Thankfully I didn't make it to screen.

On budgets, that depends. Sometimes people just don't want to hear that something is outside their budget.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    edited April 2023
    rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

The things that bug me:

One of our projects was featured on GD a few years ago. It's, erm, a highly curated view of what actually happens. Thankfully I didn't make it to screen.

On budgets, that depends. Sometimes people just don't want to hear that something is outside their budget.
    Whatever you think your budget is, double it, especially now.

Out of interest RSJ how is your industry coping with everything costing twice as much? We have just abandoned an extension / renovation project because instead of spending £50k more than the value it would add, which would have been the case at 2019 prices, it is now going to cost £200k more than the value it would add, so it makes hugely more financial sense to buy something that has already been built. We can't be unique.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

wavefront said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

The things that bug me:

Whatever you think your budget is, double it, especially now.

Out of interest RSJ how is your industry coping with everything costing twice as much? We have just abandoned an extension / renovation project because instead of spending £50k more than the value it would add, which would have been the case at 2019 prices, it is now going to cost £200k more than the value it would add, so it makes hugely more financial sense to buy something that has already been built. We can't be unique.
    Yeah. A lot of people reviewing their plans. Certainly separating the properly wealthy from the merely very comfortable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Illustrations in medieval manuscripts like this.

Rabbits tying a man to a tree, and skinning him. What is that all about?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

It's a joke surely, because snaring and skinning is what men normally do to hares?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    rjsterry said:

Medieval vegans in disguise getting retribution.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

It's a joke surely, because snaring and skinning is what men normally do to hares?
    Yes, sure, and I have seen others with mice attacking a cat. So the role reversal idea seemed to tickle them - it's more why that sort of visual joke was included in what were such valuable and important objects.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Well now, maybe a forum poll?

Swear allegiance or just swear at?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

I know which would be my words of choice.
  • First.Aspect
    "Fcuk off big nose."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    orraloon said:

3rd choice, ignore.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,064

"Fcuk off big nose."

Ears, surely?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Choice of big nose intrigued me a little, it shows that FA definitely sees things differently to the majority, he may also have big ears.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

"Fcuk off big nose."

Ears, surely?
    As well. He's his own spitting image puppet, basically.

Which I wouldn't mind if he wasn't showing exactly how out of touch he is about the constitutional relevance of himself and his family.

His mum seemed to understand that she had a purely ceremonial role, whereas I'm not entirely sure, based on some of the lobbying to Cameron that leaked out (and that let's face it has gone on before and since) that he realises that if he tries to exercise the constitutional powers he supposedly has, he would be bringing forward the end of the constitutional monarchy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,064

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    orraloon said:

Those who are watching can choose to do what they want, I don't care.

I'll watch as much of it as I did the funeral of the last one.